PDA

View Full Version : ATV Buying Advise

tysonren
01-27-2011, 11:03 AM
Hey Folks.
I am wanting to buy an ATV and don't have a lot of $$$$
My cousin is offering me a 2001 Kawasaki KFV 400 for decent money.
I cant really find much info online about it and wanted to know if anyone had an opinion about this one?
Comparing to Kijiji it seems like an alright deal, plus knowing it has been in the family since new adds value.
Thanks.

bandit86
01-27-2011, 02:50 PM
2 years ago I bought. 98 or 99 Suzuki king quad 300 for 3100+tx. 1200 km. 5speed semi automatic wih high low and superlow. Locking front diff. Shaft drive. Mint condition.

Yours, depending on the options or mileage might be good or bad. Without specs I can't tell. I will never buy anything bigger, I don't need to go faster, has plenty of power, and light compared to others. Once you get really stuck buy yourself toll appreciate a light one. Just my $.02

monsterj
01-27-2011, 04:39 PM
how much is decent money if its family it should be a good deal not just alright. i have to agree with bandit without specs its hard to tell im not sure is it 4x4? or 2wd.. i have and 08 honda 420 bought new great machine very compareable to larger machines... never beat my renegade though

shortify
01-27-2011, 05:29 PM
i have a 06 bombarider going really cheap right now its a 650 pm if interested i jsut posted it on here

tysonren
01-27-2011, 05:34 PM
its a 2001 KVF 400
Full Time 4X4, which I don't love, but also like that there are less moving parts.
He is selling it to me for $2500, compared to Kijiji it seems to be a great deal, but i have just started looking this week. He paid $3500 for it a year ago from another family member and put a bunch of money into it.

RBJeepThing
01-27-2011, 05:59 PM
personal opinion since you asked is "Kawipoo". Never had luck with anything Kawasaki.

tysonren
01-28-2011, 10:57 AM
"Kawipoo".
Hahaha thanks.

Inside-Line
02-05-2011, 05:52 PM
The one downfall to the KVF 400 is that it has a solid rear axle, while this isn't the end of the world for about $500 more you should be able to find yourself a decent used Polaris with selectable on demand 4wd, independent rear suspension and one of the most reliable platforms (The Sportsman) of all time.

The benefit to a Polaris is you can get used parts or new parts for a significant savings over Kawi's parts. Like cars import parts are almost always much more $$$

Anyways just my 2 cents worth

scbesse
02-06-2011, 03:24 PM
My Dad has the Kawi KVF 400 2001 and its been great to him. I like it. Yeah the solid rear makes ride ruffer than the 4 wheel independant, engine has been strong and nothing has gone wrong

Gower
02-12-2011, 01:12 PM
If you are looking for dependable (!!! Yamaha !!!) I have a 450 Kodiak with (elec Diff LOC) never get stuck ! The only problem with a Yamaha is you spend most of the day on the trail pulling out all the other brands stuck in the mud hole behind you
Good Luck
as long as your out ridding any ATV is a Good one

The Poppy Project
02-13-2011, 12:16 AM
In my experience the benefit of independent rear suspension will be worth more than extra cc's. You will keep up just fine in most of the trails with 400cc's. 500 is more than enough. The only time you'll really notice smaller cc's is on open sections and road running. In my opinion; who cares about that really. I much preferred lighter bikes to big bore. There are times the power is nice don't get me wrong. But a better lighter bike with IRS will keep you smiling all day long.
If I were buying a NEW bike Yamaha all the way.
I'm retarded and like shifting so my first choice would be the big bear 400
but a really great trail bike would be the grizzly 550. I've seen the 700's they are awesome but the 550 will get you out and keep you smiling.

tysonren
02-18-2011, 01:41 PM
Thanks everyone.
Apparently my cousin killed the Kawi i was going to buy off him.
Now I am looking more at sport bikes. They are much cheaper used (I know, with reason) but for the riding I am going to do, I think the sports will suit me just fine. i dont mind avoiding the odd mudhole.