Thread: Insurance for classic daily driver

Time Online: 23 Hrs 9 Mins 50 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Secs

Insurance for classic daily driver

Anyone know where I can get coverage to drive a classic vehicle as a daily driver? Looking to restore a classic pickup as a dd summer vehicle. Caa won't cover older vehicles and the places they suggest only cover you as specialty stuff with all kinds of restrictions like not driving to work or leaving it in a mall parking lot etc. Basically just enough for the occasional Sunday drive or to and from a car show.
    Not looking for a show vehicle. Just a classic heap with upgraded internals and safety features.
    2002 TJ Sport

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 1 Day 12 Hrs 19 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 9 Secs
    I remember seeing an ad on TV for classic car insurance.

Time Online: 2 Mths 2 Wks 4 Hrs 11 Mins 7 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Mins 5 Secs
    State Farm would do it i'd assume?

Just seems like they're most likely to insure "anything".

Time Online: 2 Mths 18 Hrs 57 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 59 Secs

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 6 Days 22 Hrs 22 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 35 Secs
    If you go the classic/show car route, you'll have to adhere to the restrictions. But why not just call your insurance company, or any other for that matter, and ask about their "pleasure use" policy. Pleasure use policies will let you drive to work and do whatever, but the KMs will be limited, which will be an issue if you get in an accident and they find out you've been driving it 50K a year and not the 5 you told them.

Edit: Just reread your post. If you're trying to get coverage for a modified vehicle, I can tell you this isn't gonna work. One other suggestion is you could just have regular insurance during the summer months, and fire/theft during the winter.
    Last edited by MUD DAWG; 11-19-2009 at 10:58 AM.

Jeannie is offline Christmas is for kids, Santa's on his way
    My Mood
    Amused
    Time Online: 6 Mths 2 Wks 3 Days 22 Hrs 4 Mins 43 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 16 Mins 16 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by stach1 View Post
    I insure my 73 vette with these guys restrictions are not to work or at malls unless for a car show rates are great I pay around $200 for the year for $35000 value $100 deductible. Need to get an appraisal approx every 4 years.

But there are others that do offer the insurance that you are looking for Aviva is one, rates are higher though and you would still need appraisals to insure for the value and they would probably send out an inspector as well, to verify it is what you say it is. But if it has a high value Lant is the way to go.

Time Online: 1 Wk 4 Days 8 Hrs 42 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 56 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by NINE-T-1-RENEGADE View Post
    State Farm would do it i'd assume?

Just seems like they're most likely to insure "anything".
    They do not have coverage like that.

The coverage they provide is for a show vehicle as well.
    -OlllllllO-

Time Online: 1 Yr 3 Mths 2 Wks 5 Days 4 Hrs 52 Mins 56 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 38 Mins 58 Secs
    x3 on tony lants silver wheels ins
    WHAT WOULD MACGYVER DO?

2004 rubicon: 12,000 lb titan winch, 35" goodyear wranglers, staang's belly-up skid, cobra 29 cb, highline fenders, trailhead bumpers

http://www.youtube.com/user/onehosereh#p/u

VA3 HWG, OF4WD #5571, RETREAD #1

Thanks.. I told my company that I'm not driving a show car, and in fact the uglier the better and just wanted comprehensive etc.. not looking for a high value vehicle, just something cool i can beat up a little bit. and not really modified other than say brake upgrades, cat back, cold air intake that kinda stuff.. not choped and sectioned and all crazy.
    was originally asking them about a 69 camaro i was going to pick. Ran great, body looked like crap but it was solid. just want to tool around in it, but too old for CAA to cover.

even lant says "not for regular usage" on both the plans they have advertised. I guess all the guys I see driving around here in their novas and vettes just lie about the amount of driving they do or something... see them all the time.
    Last edited by swm; 11-19-2009 at 11:55 AM.

Time Online: 2 Mths 2 Wks 4 Hrs 11 Mins 7 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Mins 5 Secs
    And i'm a bit of a dumbass, I forgot that I have the Datsun insured as a normal vehicle not a classic.

It is through ING and I just back the coverage off to fire and theft in the fall for winter storage. If I went for "classic coverage" (which I would have been forced into had I received Historic plates) they would have limited the useage parameters.

But as it stands it's the same as any of my other everyday vehicles with the stipulation that the driver must be 25 or older. However, keep in mind the insurance payouts are NOT the same. My Datsun isn't really a "collectable" car at the moment nor are they excessive in value. Therefore I didn't see it warranting a large value and limited "classic" policy.

My Mood
    Amused
    Time Online: 2 Mths 11 Hrs 48 Mins 38 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 58 Secs
    I just had my Broker find it. Two of my vehicles are listed as Classic on the ministry side of things but I have them insured as daily drivers.
    Poster does not represent or warrant the the information accessible via this post is accurate or complete. Except as specifically stated on this post, neither rbjeepthing nor any of his affiliates, will be liable for damages arising out of or in connection with the use of this post.

Time Online: 1 Yr 3 Mths 2 Wks 5 Days 4 Hrs 52 Mins 56 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 38 Mins 58 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by swm View Post
    Thanks.. I told my company that I'm not driving a show car, and in fact the uglier the better and just wanted comprehensive etc.. not looking for a high value vehicle, just something cool i can beat up a little bit. and not really modified other than say brake upgrades, cat back, cold air intake that kinda stuff.. not choped and sectioned and all crazy.
    was originally asking them about a 69 camaro i was going to pick. Ran great, body looked like crap but it was solid. just want to tool around in it, but too old for CAA to cover.

even lant says "not for regular usage" on both the plans they have advertised. I guess all the guys I see driving around here in their novas and vettes just lie about the amount of driving they do or something... see them all the time.
    with silver wheels coverage there is unlimited milage. the stipulation is that you cannot use it for work. if you're out for a drive and stop in and pick up a few groceries, they have no problem with that.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 3 Wks 1 Day 17 Hrs 34 Mins 40 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 52 Secs
    my dad has a 1930 ford rod that he drives from like march til december, he's just insured through cooperators
    young kid learnin the hard way
    90 YJ 4.2L, howell TBI, 4L head, 4"lift with 31x11.5s. broke it, welded it, broke around the welds, welded it again, sold it
    99 grand cherokee, 4.7L. 2" BB, 245/75R16

ok.. guess I will try ING and cooperators. i didn't want classic insurance that's just what CAA and my firends broker told me i had to get for a 69 camaro. CAA wouldn't touch it just because of the age.

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 2 Days 15 Hrs 27 Mins 3 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 24 Secs
    I had my 47 Willys insured as a daily driver. Wasnt that much. I go through Dominion of Canada.
    1952 M38CDN

thanks guys... good to know there are options.