Thread: painted alum rims

Time Online: 2 Days 21 Hrs 13 Mins 17 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 14 Secs

painted alum rims

A friend of mine bought a jeep last year and now needed new (newer) tires. We picked up 4 BFG a/t kos, 31/10.5R15 used off of this site for $260. they are in great shape with 65 to 75% tread left There was no way in hell I was going to put the tires on the dirty, chipped, fadded out, aluminum rims.
    On a friday I had the old tires removed so I could clean them with coil cleaner to remove the corrosion. After a good wash I sanded and wire wheeled the rims to get them cleaned of all clear coat flakes and deep scraches.
    When I finished sanding them I used dupli-colour wax and grease remover to get them ready for some self etching primer. I did three thin coats and used 1 1/2 cans.
    We went with dupli colour rim paint, 2 cans of black, 4 cans of charcoal grey with metalic flake and dupli rim clear coat.
    after the primer was good and dry, about an hour, I sprayed just the inside of the five spokes with the gloss black. I did three coats of it then went to bed.
    I woke up at 4:00am and (with lots of coffee) taped off the black areas. That was a mind numming 2 hours. Now I was ready for the grey, 3 good coats then peeled the tape off. Kinda felt like Christmas while doing that!
    After that set for an hour I applied three heavy coats of clear coat.
    I spent about $80 in paint, primer, clear coat, sand paper, wire wheel, and pre wipe with shop towels.
    At 11:00 am I brought the rims and tires to the local tire shop and got them mounted. Stuby valve stems and no weights on the outside. The same guy that took the tires off put the new ones on and couldn't belive they were the same rims. He mounted them without putting a scratch on them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC05397.jpg   DSC05420.jpg   DSC05423.jpg   DSC05424.jpg   DSC05425.jpg  

DSC05426.jpg   DSC05427.jpg   DSC05428.jpg   DSC05430.jpg   DSC05431.jpg  

more pics

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC05432.jpg   DSC05433.jpg   DSC05434.jpg   DSC05453.jpg   DSC05454.jpg  

DSC05473.jpg   DSC05484.jpg  

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Time Online: 6 Days 22 Hrs 27 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 34 Secs
    daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn ......those turned out nice!!!!

Has anyone painted alum rims and winter drive them? I am curious to know how these will hold up against the cold and salty abuse.

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 37 Secs
    [BORAT] Very Niiiiiice!! [/BORAT]

No, seriously... those look good. Was the paint called "Charcoal metal flake" or ??? I hate my stock rims. This might make them look less awful.
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

Time Online: 1 Day 5 Hrs 6 Mins 7 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by WiGiT View Post
    Has anyone painted alum rims and winter drive them? I am curious to know how these will hold up against the cold and salty abuse.
    I am planning on painting my MT Classic II and drive in winter. So if no one answer your question can you keep us posted as to how well your hold up. Thanks
    2006 LWB Rubicon Solar Yellow
    Beard Rear Bench 2" BB 1.25 BL Custom Trunk
    33x12.5/15 on MT Classic II
    OF4WD #4989

Time Online: 1 Day 5 Hrs 6 Mins 7 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by WiGiT View Post
    I am planning on painting my MT Classic II and drive in winter. So if no one answer your question can you keep us posted as to how well your hold up. Thanks

Time Online: 6 Days 19 Hrs 30 Mins 59 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 33 Secs
    Am working on a set of Cherokee aluminums myself. Took em to the local wheel polisher yesterday, and he wanted $125.00 ea..hummm thinks I..$500.00 to fix what I paid $80 for..errr..dont think so dude!! Yours look great
    Yesterday's HISTORY, Tomorrow's a MYSTERY. LIVE FOR TODAY

Time Online: 13 Hrs 8 Mins 46 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Secs
    A lot of work but they look great and the best part you save a lot of money. Was already planning on doing mine the same way. Now I see yours and how good they turned out I might be doing mine sooner.
    99 TJ Sport Custom Bumper/winch plate, 9000#Superwinch & 33" BFG AT
    Superlift 4" lift kit

Not much off-roading in Sarnia....But have you seen the roads lately?

My Mood
    Amused
    Time Online: 2 Mths 11 Hrs 48 Mins 38 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 58 Secs
    If you use the three part process from Duplicolor then yes they will stand up great in the winter. The key is to take your time which it appears you did and do it right the first time. In the winter the biggest enemy is a combination of the moisture and salt. After washing the truck dry the rims off. I've painted many rims with their wheel paint and it's only second to a good powder coating job.
    Poster does not represent or warrant the the information accessible via this post is accurate or complete. Except as specifically stated on this post, neither rbjeepthing nor any of his affiliates, will be liable for damages arising out of or in connection with the use of this post.

Time Online: 5 Mths 19 Hrs 40 Mins 6 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 23 Secs
    I have the only matte black DC-1's I have ever seen. The paint seems pretty durable so far. I will likely do the same to some severely peeling rims I have for my BMW too - for the cost you can't go wrong.

Was the paint called "Charcoal metal flake" or ???
    The paint can doesn't have a name for the colour. In small writing says that it is the caps colour. The CT I bought it from had light grey or dark grey, I used dark. I like how they turned out but I think the lighter grey might of suited her Jeep.
    Took em to the local wheel polisher yesterday, and he wanted $125.00 ea..hummm thinks I..$500.00 to fix what I paid $80 for
    I polished a set of Cherokee aluminums before and won't do that again. $500 I wouldn't do it for $1000

My friend doesn't wash her Jeep that much so they will be put to the test, I give it 2 winters.

Thanks for positive feedback.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC06134.jpg  

Time Online: 2 Mths 18 Hrs 57 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 59 Secs
    painted my 4runner rims last winter,still look good ,sand blasted, can. tire armour coat paint, then baked them

Time Online: 2 Wks 7 Hrs 6 Mins 2 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 10 Secs
    Just did the same to some AR rims I picked up from ShaneZ, they look amazing, we'll see how it stands up
    Last edited by g_rock; 04-29-2010 at 02:56 PM.

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 14 Hrs 25 Mins 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 43 Secs
    I have run paint Alum rims on my hondas for years to cut the bling of the polished alum out of them

Strip, Sand/Blast, Self etching Primer, Paint, then Dupli Clear and lasts great. A bit of fading, but nothing major.
    90 YJ. 4link F/R, 16" SAW Airshocks, 32bolt Beadlocks, D60/14bolt, Full Hydro/Hydroboost L67 3.8SC 700r4 NP231/D300
    02 Yukon XL on 37's DD
    91 Cherokee Juggy scrapped for Greener Grass
    I prefer to build it and not buy it, you see it, I probably made it.