Thread: Aux Power for '03 Caravan ???

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Day 31 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 14 Secs

Aux Power for '03 Caravan ???

Installing aftermarket Fog Lights on the wife's '03 Dodge Caravan .... want them to run off the ignition power, no relay needed for these lights, want them to switch off with key regardless of the switch.

Any suggestions for easy access ???
    Newmarket Swamper

OF4WD Member # 5246

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs
    I will dig up a diagram for you tomorrow. Be careful with the later model Caravans. I'm not certain on yours, but we're starting to see 5V feeds at the ignition switches... not 12. And hooking the feed to a lamp could blow a ECU driver.
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Keep it simple guys ....

I am thinking the Power Accessory plug on the console .... there must be a 12v line in the back of that I can tap into ?

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs
    Sure, you can do that. It'll be fused for 10 or 15A (likely 10) though so when the fogs are on you can't plug in anything like a laptop or inverter.

Simple diagram of what IGFJ said. It's not hard, and is the safest way as it isolates your fog circuit from the rest of the vehicle. Picture has no center pin, so if the relay you buy has one, just ignore it. With this setup, if something bad happens, it doesn't affect the rest of the car.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Thanks for the diagram Noltz ... nice and easy. I went and grabbed a Hayne's from Partsource this morning (been meaning to do it for a while now anyways).

The accessory plug (Ciggy Lighter outlet) is 12v and 20a and runs only when in the "acc" or when engine running .... the fog lights are the previous generation to these: Click here for Link to CanTire Page and doesn't come with a relay. I hooked them up without the relay for now .... will change it over later.

Thanks guys !

Time Online: 3 Days 23 Hrs 28 Mins 3 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 19 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    If you do this, just be sure the fuse for the socket is in the right place...with most Chrysler Vehicles you have the option of having lighter sockets powered constant or with ignition only...

It is a simple movement of a fuse under the hood that controls the change...
    But in the case of the caravan, they had 2 sockets( one constant, one keyed) then they cheapened out and took one out but left the wiring there in the harness.