Thread: Should i run belts or harnesses or both?

Time Online: 1 Day 7 Hrs 58 Mins 20 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Secs

Should i run belts or harnesses or both?

I got to get some seatbelts for my cj cause i need to drive it to a few shops. My plan is to put full cage with harnesses and suspension seats. Ive heard lots of problems with mto with getting safety inspections with harness belts. So what im wondering if i should spend the money and get regular seat belts?
    Would work better for mall crawling. If i can get away with harness belts i would be happy but that probably wont fly for inspection.

Any input?

Lucas

My Mood
    Drunk
    Time Online: 6 Days 15 Hrs 10 Mins 27 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 32 Secs
    Your assumptions are correct. Factory belts cannot be tampered with and are required. Even though very rarely used, I still have the factory setup, at least for looks.
    89 YJ, 4.0 HO, 999 Auto, Twin Sticked D300, SOA, Full width 5:38 D60 front ARB, 5:38 full float D60 rear Detriot, 35 spline shafts, disc brakes all round, aluminum rockers, cage mounted racing seats, custom dash, tilt /quick disconnect steering, 39.5 TSLs on hummer wheels with double bead locks, full hydro steering, hydro boost brakes, 8274 w/synthetic rope, CJ front clip & tail gate, Custom Olive Green Paint Job !

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs
    Yes, you're correct. A functional seat belt is required for every seat in the vehicle (excluding motorhomes... different rules). Harnesses are also not legal for street use.

Put your Harness in and only use it offroad.
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Day 23 Hrs 54 Mins 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 18 Secs
    my austin healey has no seat belts or windows.. never came with them from the factory back in 62.. no radio and pretty much no heater too!!!
    1991 TOW RIG/DD toyota hilux surf ssr-x turbo diesel JDM SPEC

1982 suzuki sj410 . stock ... no options rides like a slow bag of dicks

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 14 Hrs 25 Mins 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 43 Secs
    ^^^
    A vehicle has to keep the factory safety equipment. Our 70 Dodge dart had no rear seat belts, so for safety, not required.

I had safetied a Honda before with a Sparco Seat and Harness. The mechanic could fit in the seat let alone drive the Stg.3 clutch (stalled it 3 time before he even got out of the parking spot). But he never mentioned the belts.
    90 YJ. 4link F/R, 16" SAW Airshocks, 32bolt Beadlocks, D60/14bolt, Full Hydro/Hydroboost L67 3.8SC 700r4 NP231/D300
    02 Yukon XL on 37's DD
    91 Cherokee Juggy scrapped for Greener Grass
    I prefer to build it and not buy it, you see it, I probably made it.

My Mood
    Cynical
    Time Online: 3 Wks 3 Days 6 Hrs 38 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 59 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by JKMotorsports View Post
    ^^^
    A vehicle has to keep the factory safety equipment. Our 70 Dodge dart had no rear seat belts, so for safety, not required.

I had safetied a Honda before with a Sparco Seat and Harness. The mechanic could fit in the seat let alone drive the Stg.3 clutch (stalled it 3 time before he even got out of the parking spot). But he never mentioned the belts.
    Since when do the test drive your car for a safty?? All the cars i have owned safety was always done in the garage never ont he road...
    Jeeps, Bitches and Guns... Nuf Said

Time Online: 2 Days 23 Hrs 45 Mins 13 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 14 Secs
    normally they need to drive the vehicles into the shop for a safety!!
    The devil made me do it!!

If it ain't broke you're not trying hard enough!!

Yup, they don't look at it in the parking lot!

Do not know. Heck I safetied a vehicle with a blown airbag, becuase at the time the vehicle was built it was not "Standard Equipment". The mechanic outright said that to me.

Living out of Jeep between Toronto to Owen Sound
    My Mood
    Tired
    Time Online: 5 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 12 Hrs 46 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 13 Mins 7 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    So, with that said...how would this play out in the case of a "kit" vehicle, or a home built?

What if somebody was to scratch build a frame?

Then buy a body, sat an Aqualu Aluminum tub...then piece together everything else?

They would have to go to the Ministry to get a VIN, which likely would be easily supplied with some paperwork and some level of red tape/hoops...they would then have a vehicle that was built by them and would not have had any FACTORY SAFETY EQUIPMENT as a factory did not build it...

I MUST STATE, I am not trying to stir the pot, just throwing this out for discussion purposes...
    I don't think kit cars are allowed anymore (Unless already existing) I know you cannot import any kits. Aqualu would be based on an existing vehicle as FJ/BJ Toyota's and Jeeps. Fiberglass bodies are sold as non-road use only. I know they are on plenty of CJ's.

Someone likely knows more on this but if you look into importing vehicles kits are a no-go and I think they are even cracking down on parts as people are trying to order pcs separately to avoid seizure at the border.