Thread: 4Runner winch install, V.2

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs

4Runner winch install, V.2

So I got this winch from my wife a few years ago. Had it mounted on my old truck, got sold, but the winch made its way back to me through a recent trade. She'd been badly abused, ripped off a truck, and run over... but still fixable. Since I don't have a dedicated trail truck right now, and the Champion just doesn't have the reliability I desire for off road use, I decided to mount it to my daily driver for use in pulling ... well, whatever needs pulling!

The last time I saw it, she looked like this. It was on my '91 4R, 3" BL and 35" tires.

I got the winch in a tangled mess. I removed the remnants down to the core motor, drum and cam assemblies. Cleaned up the terminals, and started dry-fitting it. I had previously welded a 2" box section, plus gussets, to the bottom of the winch plate as a mount for the factory Toyota plow bolts. These are 12mm fine threaded bolts welded into the front crossmember. While I never had a failure (including some axle dragging stucks) in the last truck, it was an issue I wanted to address. On this build, the plate would be welded on, and that was done by Andy @ Mud Bros. Before that could happen, I needed to grind off the frame horns.

Unfortunately my camera card seems to have eaten all the pictures of the actual trimming and fitting of the bumper while at Mud Bros. Sorry. Much of the winch sits behind the front bumper, making for a very clean install. I've been complimented with several "Is that factory?" queries . I will take a better picture in the morning... these don't do justice.

....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

With the physical mounting completed, I now needed a way to control the unit. Duncan of Titan Off-Road came through with a set of solenoids.
    They needed somewhere to live, so the battery hold down bar was removed and a bracket cut, welded and tapped. Once mounted, I fabricated some bus bars, and figured out how to wire the solenoids.

Electrical connections were made using 2ga welding wire from PA, plus the original power cable from the unit. The terminals were sourced from Sayal Electronics in Burlington for $1.25 a piece, vs. $5 each from every other vendor. Pure copper, and 3x thicker than what you find at CT.

The remote was the last item up to be finished. The socket end was destroyed on the old solenoid housing. A new one was backordered, with no guarantee on when it'd arrive. I decided to use a good, solid trailer connector instead. Prepping, cut hole, drill and tap hold-down bolts.

Take the trailer connector, and put a weatherproof connector on the back. This lets me take the bumper off later without cutting any wires. Mounted the connector and started double-checking all my wiring. Then added the other connection to the remote wires.

And then it's done! I have a nice, clean installed winch, ready to go any time. All the connections are soldered and heat-shrunk, then loomed. I'm quite happy with the install, but I'll get a final picture tomorrow when there's daylight. Thanks to Andy & Duncan for their help.

Last edited by Noltz; 11-30-2009 at 08:13 AM.

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 23 Hrs 45 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 4 Secs
    Wow, cool!

Good work, I like the attention to detail. That trailer wiring plug is a nice touch.

If I was a Jeep, they'd have parted me out a LONG time ago.

I'm a proud member of SOXJA ask me why!

Krawlerz team member too!

OF4WD Member # 5027

My Mood
    Busy
    Time Online: 2 Mths 4 Wks 17 Hrs 25 Mins 49 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 19 Secs
    lots of work involved and looks good man.
    went through the same thing on a r50. good on you for even trying.

My Mood
    Amused
    Time Online: 2 Mths 11 Hrs 48 Mins 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 59 Secs
    Good write up.
    Poster does not represent or warrant the the information accessible via this post is accurate or complete. Except as specifically stated on this post, neither rbjeepthing nor any of his affiliates, will be liable for damages arising out of or in connection with the use of this post.