Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: e-test question

Time Online: 3 Wks 14 Hrs 35 Mins 38 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 46 Secs

e-test question

97 f150 4.2l, this is my ?. i couldn,t find a 4.2l so i took a 3.8 from a 93 tbird and put all the intake stuff on it, heads upper and lower intakes, the only difference is .4 of a litre and its now externally balanced instead of internally
    here are my readings and limits hc l 52 r 194 co l .29 r .56 curb idle hc l 200 r 249 r= reading l=limit and the tbird had less then 150k what the f&$* is with it. cat?

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Days 17 Hrs 46 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 7 Secs
    I'm confused....

you now have a 3.8L and had a 4.2L?
    or you used the 3.8 short block and added the 4.2L stuff to it?

and the current readings were as listed....?

when you made the swap you swapped everything for the new engine (ECM, etc)? or just the Engine?

how did the engine end its days? sometimes they will plug the Cat... when they die a horrible death... is it the original cat?

Correct me if I'm wrong but hight HC is too much fuel or inproper combustion.

How does it run?
    My latest project... Collection of Parts

Other stuff... Building a doubler, D300 Flip kit

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman 94 xj View Post
    "Coil springs are for ballpoint pens and pogo sticks".
    ебут раком

you used the 3.8 short block and added the 4.2L stuff to it? yeah that and the current readings were as listed....? yes how did the engine end its days? hydrolocked due to bad headgaskets bent rod on #1 the piston skirt was actually hitting the crank weights? sometimes they will plug the Cat... when they die a horrible death... is it the original cat? idk it runs great, no problems at all, thats what is screwin with my head

wow that didnt post very good at all, but i think you can figure it out. thanks for the quick reply jak oopps yeah just the engine not the ecm from the bird, i used the truck comp

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs
    Stop right there.

Your truck is a Hot Rod. Non-Original engine. Not available from the manufacturer. Return to testing facility and indicate their mistake. I can provide the call center help number if you need. Limits then go to 300HC and 1.00%CO. You should pass.
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

Living out of Jeep between Toronto to Owen Sound
    My Mood
    Tired
    Time Online: 5 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 12 Hrs 46 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 13 Mins 9 Secs
    I thought hot-rod class was only for larger than oem engines?

ok noltz, how do i prove its a 3.8l, because they want proof

Time Online: 5 Mths 19 Hrs 40 Mins 6 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 26 Secs
    Doesn't it have to be same year or newer engine? What determines that year of manufacture?

oh and when i got my 91 range rover classic e tested the guy told me that the 4.2l was an option in 91 and according to land rover the 4.2l was introduced in the 93 lwb classic, so there computer is wrong

You have photo's of the swap?

You could pay a garage to measure the displacement of the cylinders. Remove spark plug, measure how much liquid the cylinder can hold, multiply by 6. You will then have a Ministry Approved garage document that proves the engine size is incorrect for the vehicle.

As I understand it, the rules of engine year / manufacturer never went into effect. They were suggestions that were never adopted. If you can prove it's not the correct engine for the year of the vehicle, it's technically a Hot Rod. contact the Drive Clean Call Centre at 1-888-758-2999 for assistance.

Headhunter, get that in writing from Range Rover and call the above number to get that corrected. Be sure it wasn't available in the US either, as that's where a lot of the emissions data is collected from.

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    4.2/3.8 are the same engine family.

sure you could class it as a hot rod but its going to be realy tough.

would be the same fight trying to prove your origanal 305 is now a 350 i think there is a displacement rule where if you enlarge or use parts from the same family of engines your not exempt.

realy curious tho because if thats true when you swap your 4.0 in place of a 4.2 your exempt and have to pass the 1980 hot rod standards?

or what if you create a 4.7 stroker.... how do you prove to them that its not the orginal?

well lets try this for a scenario, what would happen if a fella was to clean the engine he was puttin together with diesel fuel and not really clean it good, and say there was diesel residue in the engine, now presuming this fella actually did this how would said fella get the diesel out of said engine (meza idiot me thinks) and no said fella is not me.

The engine size has nothing to due with the Drive Clean's Hot Rod status. You can yank a Mustang 3.8 and put in a Chev 3.8, and it's a hotrod. The status applys when an engine is installed that was not available from the Manufacturer, in that year. That's it.

As for the 305 to 350 upgrade, if it was available (say, a Camaro, which had both as options) then it's NOT a hot rod, since GM did it.

Double.

Quote Originally Posted by Noltz View Post
    The engine size has nothing to due with the Drive Clean's Hot Rod status. You can yank a Mustang 3.8 and put in a Chev 3.8, and it's a hotrod. The status applys when an engine is installed that was not available from the Manufacturer, in that year. That's it.

As for the 305 to 350 upgrade, if it was available (say, a Camaro, which had both as options) then it's NOT a hot rod, since GM did it.
    Not to continue the hijack... but

how would I go about proving that I have a stroked engine that is in the stock block? is there any cons to having the designation of a Hotrod?

Time Online: 4 Wks 1 Day 9 Hrs 30 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 25 Secs
    i have been doing some reading into this and i might be wrong but i am pretty sure you can provide a receipt of the purchase or swap of the different motor and that will allow you to get the hot rod statues. I dont believe there is any cons to getting because i am pretty sure the only ones who care about it is the etest people.

This might help a bit
    http://www.canadianrodder.com/featur...egistering.htm
    Essex County Jeep Club
    -1999 TJ "50 Shades of Jeep"

Quantium is right... there's almost no down side to this. The 3.8 and 4.2 are in the same family but the 3.8 did not come in that vehicle, so it's a hot rod. It's pretty cut and dry when it comes down to it.

And the receipt is a pretty vague thing. If you can't find the copy of the shop that built the engine, print a reasonable facsimile and submit it. Print out your own invoice, for all I care. I just need something on paper to show it's been swapped out.

Butt Brothers Engines
    123 Your Address Ave.
    Unit 2
    Hellsville, ON
    H0H 0H0

Customer;
    Mr. Smith
    123 Your Address Ave.
    Unit 1
    Hellsville, ON
    H0H 0H0

Vehicle;
    1997 Ford F150. Vin# xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Engine; 4.2
    Transmission; Auto

Invoice;

Cleaned, inspected and installed one 3.8L engine block into supplied vehicle. Reused existing cylinder heads, intake and exhaust manifolds. Customer advised towing is not recommended due to the reduction in power output. Vehicle emissions standards may have changed - refer to Ontario Drive Clean authority.

Total; $1.99

to expand more on the HotRod status thing....

Will this affect your insurance? we all know how much they like the label. will it just raise another "flag" with the insurance company?

My Mood
    Amused
    Time Online: 2 Mths 11 Hrs 48 Mins 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 59 Secs
    I had to go through this with my Civic.

Things I required:

1. Letter from Honda Canada stating the motor I have in it was not available in North America.
    2. Ownership changed with Ministry to effect model and engine displacement.
    3. Insurance company notified of description change of vehicle with ministry.

My insurance actually went down due to the clerical issues with quoting the vehicle. They had no guidelines to go on with a 91 Civic SIR so I pay less then I did when the vehicle was original. Because everything is legit I no longer worry about insurance or being pulled over with a swapped vehicle.
    Poster does not represent or warrant the the information accessible via this post is accurate or complete. Except as specifically stated on this post, neither rbjeepthing nor any of his affiliates, will be liable for damages arising out of or in connection with the use of this post.