Page 1 of 12 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: TJ Teardown/Build Up

Time Online: 1 Wk 4 Days 20 Hrs 13 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 58 Secs

TJ Teardown/Build Up

So it’s the winter time and the build begins..
    I’ve wanted to start a build thread for some time but never got around to doing so but I’ve finally got off my butt so here we go..

Recently I was able to talk my grandma into letting me transform her (now unused) wood working shop into a greasy and cluttered shop for myself. I'm hoping to have this completed by the end of May but we all know how that's gonna go...

Quick run down:
    I bought my TJ in ‘08, learned what I could in a year, and am now beginning my first build.
    Started off with a 4” Skyjacker and 35” MTR’s
    Slowly added rock rails, winch, front bumper, flat fenders, blah blah blah and then… I found a Dana turdy5 with 4.56 gearing and an ARB locker. OMGGG!!!
    Anyways, I ended up grenading the ARB in September so I retired the TJ for the season.
    Now that I look back I wish I had just gone straight to a Dana 44 from the get-go but sometimes it’s best to learn the hard way (which I know all of us have some time or another). For now here are the plans for the winter.

In no specific order:
    Tire's/Rims - DONE
    Dana 300 Twin Stick - DONE
    Dana 44’s - DONE
    PSC Steering Box w/ HA - DONE
    3-Link Front - DONE
    4-Link Rear DONE
    103" WB - DONE
    Back-halfed - DONE
    Fuel Cell
    Driveline
    CO's - DONE
    Put it together!

Inside my new winter home (*note* Hanging outlets=220V)

I picked these 44's up a couple weekends ago from JKMotorsports. They seemed to have pretty much everything I wanted with a few extra goodies so I couldn‘t pass it up. 5.38 Gears, Warn Hubs, Detroit EZLocker/Richmond Spool, Disk Brakes all around, Trussed, Diff Guards, OTK Steering with Hydro-Assist, 3-Link bracketry (which I’m hoping to re-use for the most part) and still keeping the narrow track @ 62”. Because the front axle is Passenger Drop that just gave me an excuse to throw in a 300 like I’ve always wanted. Of course it’ll be twin sticked (VERY excited to try this out next season).

I'm currently finishing up the brake lines for the rear axle and grinding off the existing bracketry on the frame (PITA). Still not 100% sure what I'm doing as far as the geometry for the rear 3-link but I'm getting closer to what I'd like. I'm using the 3-Link Calculator by Triaged from Pirate4x4. You can find the calculator if you search the member Triaged on Pirate4x4 and click the link in his sig.
    If anyone has the spreadsheet of their final calculations on their 3-link set-up on a tj and wouldn't mind posting it on here that would be awesome! The more inspiration the better. I'll be posting mine up once the numbers are set in stone.

Anyways, if anyone has any questions, comments or suggestions I'd be happy to answer/hear them. Just keep in mind this is my first build so I will make mistakes .
    I'm going to try to keep this as updated as possible but I'm not making any promises.

Landon
    Last edited by siamesedog; 03-06-2013 at 01:27 PM. Reason: UPDATES

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 23 Hrs 45 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 4 Secs
    An ambitious project!

I'm very jealous about the new winter home, BTW...

If I was a Jeep, they'd have parted me out a LONG time ago.

I'm a proud member of SOXJA ask me why!

Krawlerz team member too!

OF4WD Member # 5027

Time Online: 9 Mths 5 Days 19 Hrs 58 Mins 19 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Mins 40 Secs
    Subscribed. Grandma's rock. PM'd ya.

97 TJ - The Build
    77 J10 - Death Proof
    11 SRT Challenger with some stuff
    05 Duramax

My Mood
    Mellow
    Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Day 7 Hrs 49 Mins 29 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 34 Secs
    Finally...

Looks good

OOO ya... and nice front fenders
    Last edited by _Colin_; 12-09-2009 at 08:18 AM.

Time Online: 1 Hr 56 Mins 19 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    Nice looking Jeep, can't wait to see the reincarnation.

Time Online: 1 Wk 2 Days 14 Hrs 42 Mins 56 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 47 Secs
    PM'd...

Thanks for the comments guys!

Time Online: 5 Days 19 Hrs 2 Mins 13 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 28 Secs
    DUDE, sick! haha when i get home i would offer to help lol but im sure you will see me over enough, ill bring the beers bruv!
    love my 2.5

how about you bring your dana 300 instead i want it! haha

Time Online: 12 Hrs 53 Mins 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Secs
    I am very envious of your new winter home!! Beats the hell out of mine!

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 14 Hrs 25 Mins 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 43 Secs
    Have fun man! Just don't let your shop turn out messy like mine was!
    90 YJ. 4link F/R, 16" SAW Airshocks, 32bolt Beadlocks, D60/14bolt, Full Hydro/Hydroboost L67 3.8SC 700r4 NP231/D300
    02 Yukon XL on 37's DD
    91 Cherokee Juggy scrapped for Greener Grass
    I prefer to build it and not buy it, you see it, I probably made it.

Time Online: 5 Days 19 Hrs 2 Mins 13 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 28 Secs
    well talk mate, id be willing to swap yours for my doubler, and your driveshafts but well see when i get home. I need to pull the 300 out and se whats going on inside, it works perfecly but iv been pulling shavings out when i change the oil. i keep hearings its normal, but it makes me nervous.

Due for an update

Well it's been a few weeks since I last updated so I thought i better throw one up. Nothing too exciting just yet.. That starts tomorrow hopefully

So far I've dropped the axles and t-case and ground off the stock bracketry that I wasn't going to use.. AKA all of them . Cleaned up both axles (front's 1/2 done), ran the hard brake lines for the rear etc. Mostly been planning and figuring out what exactly I'm in for.

Did a lot of lurking on various sites as far as 3-link set-ups and such. I think I've finally got the front 3-Link geometry set in stone (or plastercine.. we'll see once everything starts getting tacked onto the frame and problems arise ).

Front's going to look something like this:

For the frame end of the UCA I'm going to make the bracket with 3 positions where it can bolt to. These will be @ 3", 4.5", and 6" separation between LCA and UCA. With this adjustability I can (theoretically) change the Anti-Squat from just over 55% up to slightly under 100%. 70%-80% from what I've read is an ideal set-up for the front so for the initial set-up I'll use the 4.5" separation to give me approx. 75% AS.

In my plans I was wanting to stretch the front only about 2"-3" to avoid moving the steering box but making the draglink completely parallel to the axle. If you look on the stock steering set up the draglink goes from the pitman arm towards the rear and then connects to the tie rod. I wanted eliminate the rearward angle on the draglink all while stretching the wheelbase a couple inches.
    I never took into consideration the extra 2" (or so) in length on the scout knuckles compared to the dana 30 so I don't think I'm going to be able to stretch it at all for that matter.

A pic of the rear cleaned up and the brake lines in place. I just need to make some small brackets to hold the lines in place and then it's ready for the rear suspension

Tomorrow I'm hoping to grab some JJ's, tube adaptors, DOM tubing etc from TMR and begin mocking up the front. I need to make the brackets for the frame end aswell as the upper on the front 44. Easier said then done.
    Let me know what you think so far and any comments or suggestions you have are all appreciated.

Landon
    Last edited by siamesedog; 12-31-2009 at 03:11 AM.

Time Online: 2 Wks 5 Days 5 Hrs 2 Mins 31 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 34 Secs
    I'd love to see the UCA brackets you plan on using on the rear.

If i don't sell the 8.8, i will be using it in my build. Since the 8.8 i have was set up for a cherokee, i need some new brackets. I do have the Clayton rear truss with my lift, however since my 8.8 already has a truss very similar to yours, I am looking to possibly weld in some uppers to the existing truss instead.

I still haven't really looked at it yet though as i MIGHT not have the room for the coils on each side so i MIGHT have to remove the existing truss completely anyhow and in that case, i'll just go with the Clayton truss...

Nice build BTW, very similar to my 2nd phase!!!!
    RIP OD, YOU'LL BE MISSED.... BUT that's OK 'cuz you've been REPLACED !!!

countryboy, for the rear I originally planned on doing a 3-link aswell for simplicities sake but lately I've been toying around a triangulated 4-link design. I'll let you know how it goes and for sure post up some pics.
    Do you plan on stretching the rear at all? If you are you're going to have to spend all that time removing the truss (which would NOT be fun) welding the new truss, buying spring buckets, removing the existing one on the frame ect. you should look into Emulsion shocks.
    You can get them for $150 a piece to your door. All you'd need to do is throw a shock hoop on the frame and a few tabs on your axle. That way you can use your existing BEEF brace and save a few bucks
    OH and you'll look cool with no coil springs in the rear haha.
    Last edited by siamesedog; 12-31-2009 at 01:00 PM.

repost.
    Last edited by siamesedog; 12-31-2009 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by siamesedog View Post
    Do you plan on stretching the rear at all? If you are you're going to have to spend all that time removing the truss (which would NOT be fun) welding the new truss, buying spring buckets, removing the existing one on the frame ect. you should look into Emulsion shocks.

You can get them for $150 a piece to your door. All you'd need to do is throw a shock hoop on the frame and a few tabs on your axle. That way you can use your existing BEEF brace and save a few bucks
    OH and you'll look cool with no coil springs in the rear haha.

I thought about it,however have decided not to at this time. I'd have to probably do something with the tank (I.E New one), new rear corner guards, new rear tube flares,etc...... I am going to stick with the stock wheelbase, try and keep it low and run 35's, 37's at the most.

Emulsion.... Are you talking about air shocks? Truth be told, if i had the extra cash i'd go coilovers at this stage front and rear, outboard them in the rear and hoop the front. But alas, i don't....

Yeah, they're filled with oil and topped off with Nitrogen. They aren't 'new' technology but they're slowly becoming more popular. There's been a lot of debate between coilovers and emulsions and it's obvious which one comes on top. BUT that being said there are a lot of comp rigs out there and very capable rigs that swear by Emulsion so I thought I'd give it a try. And for being a QUARTER of the price... I couldn't go wrong.
    There's been a few people that are interested to see how the Emulsions go so I'm going to be posting up the results of them through out this summer.

Aren't the air shocks stiff as hell? I had heard that they have a brutal ride. Since my jeeps still street driveable, i wasn't too keen on driving around in a cement truck when not on the trails....

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    looks like a killer build.

everything looks perfect in the fab department im not a fan of the grinder tho even beveled butt welds are stronger when you can see there face even if she isnt pretty.