Thread: Remote starter problem

Time Online: 13 Hrs 33 Mins 27 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Secs

Remote starter problem

Anyone here install remote starters ? my 1996 jimmy has an aftermarket remote starter and from what i can tell from checking around is that it is installed incorrectly. When ever i use the remote starter the truck gives a error code of 1860 and bypasses 1st gear. From what i have read the problem is that curcuit 1020 to the transmission has a loss of voltage which is why this error pops up. If i dont use the remote starter the truck is fine and dosent flash any codes. i bought the truck with the starter installed so i dont have any schematics or anything for the starter. it is getting to be a pain having to clear the codes all the time if use it so i have stopped using it but would like to start using it with the winter here.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 11 Mths 3 Wks 21 Hrs 35 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 28 Mins 56 Secs
    There is 2 main ignition wires that need to be powered during a remote start...the likely issue is the have powered only one, or powered the wrong wires...

DO NOT...i repeat...DO NOT...remote start, do a key takeover then start driving...

If you remote start, make sure you shut it down (either with the remote or by hitting the break) then restart with the key before driving...the loss of power to the transmission will cause it not to shift properly and you could smoke it...

I will see what I can do to pull some diagrams at home and post some info for you...give me a little while...
    His ---> 04 LJ - 4.0L, Auto ɹnoɟ pɐǝɹʇǝɹ
    Hers ---> 75 Renegade Project - 304 V8, T15 3 speed uoıʇɐıɔossɐ ʎq pɐǝɹʇǝɹ

what i have been doing is shutting it down then restarting it with the key and using the code reader to clear the code. if you get anything let me know, if i cant figure it out in i will just go to a shop to have it looked at. but i figured i would see if anyone on here installs them first. i know about the burning up issues i just had to have a shift improvement kit installed cause of this, the previous owner i think just kept driving like it and was causing some issues with the tranny shifting.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Okay...here is what I got for you...

All wires are at the main ignition harness connected to the ignition switch...

Main 12v Power - Red and Red White (2 separate wires)
    Ignition 1 - Pink - needs to see 12v in start and run positions of the key
    Ignition 2 - White - needs to see 12v in start and run positions of the key
    Accessory - Orange - needs to see 12v in run position only
    Starter - Yellow

If one of the 2 ignition wires is not getting power during the remote start cycle you will get a condition like you described...it is highly likely from what you described that the ignition 2 wire (white) is not getting powered.

If you can find out what brand and model the remote starter is I may be able to help you more...look at the brain (main box) of the starter and see if there is any info there...post back up here and I will check it again tomorrow...

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Quote Originally Posted by gary s View Post
    if i cant figure it out in i will just go to a shop to have it looked at.

Let me know before you go anywhere...I can likely give you more help with this...

thanks sounds good, i am going to look at it in the morning to get what brand it is and i will get back to you. if this was my dd i wouldnt care but it is for the g/f and you know how women are. LOL. i still need that bumper from you anyways for my tj.

Thanks
    Gary

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 15 Hrs 43 Mins 46 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 39 Secs
    gee Igotafrigginjeep (you need a shorter name) Im ashamed you had to look that up. Ive been out for 3 years and can remember those colours. You are definitely right though, do not do a key take over without shutting down the starter first until this is fixed. Serious damage can occur. It's not that hard to fix it though, a simple relay and some advice from here and your all set. Igota and I have been doing starters since christ was a little boy so your in good hands here.
    Jeepless!!

Retread #3
    Member# 5883

My Mood
    Aggressive
    ^ hahaha...you seem to forget that GM has had about 4 different colours for second ignition...I would rather look it up and be safe than state a colour and be wrong...I was fairly certain it would have been white, but again, I'd rather be 100% sure...plus you my friend are old...not as Jimmy Minor old...but older than me!

GARY, you get anything figured out with this? Let me know...

i am getting the jimmy back today and will check for what model the starter is and will get back to you. It was in a transmission shop for the last 2 weeks, which is another can of worms. i will let you know once i find out the model number.

Thanks

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 15 Hrs 43 Mins 46 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 39 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    plus you my friend are old...not as Jimmy Minor old...but older than me!

Hey .....

I resemble that remark

sorry for the delay it is a Tiger TP1000, i spoke the the old owner and he installed it himself and he has the manual for it still so i am going to pick up the manual tomorrow from him. Hopefully once i get that i can get it figured out.

Time Online: 6 Days 5 Hrs 22 Mins 59 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 30 Secs
    I installed a remote start on a 2000 Jimmy I remember when I was installing it there were some warnings about wiring it a certain way to protect the transmission. I know I still have the instructions at my house. I will look into them when I return there on Monday. Hope you can figure it out.
    98 ZJ Slate 5.9
    08 WK 3.0L CRD