Thread: YJ rebuild

Time Online: 12 Hrs 53 Mins 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Secs

YJ rebuild

It's an 89, 4.2L straight 6.

There's so much that needs to be done that I won't bother listing it, I'll just update this as I go on to say what I'm currently working on, or going to tackle next.

I paid 200$ for it... imagine what's wrong with it (kinda wondering if I should've just bought a 1500$ one instead... well at least I saved this one from the wreckers cause that's where it was going the day I picked it up if I hadn't).

The good: um... tacometer works? OH! the heater inside get's really warm too, so that's nice. Not really that much else...

The bad: pretty much everything else.

Where it currently sits (it used to be in my garage in Oshawa, then once I bought the replacement tub it got moved to the driveway. Now it's in my parents garage in Aurora for the next 2 weeks before it goes back to the Oshawa driveway)

... needs a cleaning... and yeah the starter is off

Former: 2001 Dodge Durango, SLT+, AWD, 5.9L V8. Leather and fully loaded. 15inch sub, bored TB, old school air intake, tail pipe.

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 23 Hrs 45 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 4 Secs
    Looks like an automatic tranny, is it?

An ambitious project... What direction are you thinking of taking with it? If worse comes to worse, you can recoup your investment from parts alone.

If I was a Jeep, they'd have parted me out a LONG time ago.

I'm a proud member of SOXJA ask me why!

Krawlerz team member too!

OF4WD Member # 5027

Quote Originally Posted by JPhoenix View Post
    Looks like an automatic tranny, is it?

An ambitious project... What direction are you thinking of taking with it? If worse comes to worse, you can recoup your investment from parts alone.

It is auto, and I doubt there are enough parts on this to be able to recoup my investment... to be honest about it.

At the end of the day, when all is said and done, my mind right now says "35inch tires, dana 44s, 5 1/2 inches of lift, Fuel Injected mopar 360"

things that I'm thinking about and seriously debating is doing a custom aluminum dashboard. My buddy from highschool has a machine shop that he's been putting together for the past few years in his parent's house basement.

Actually, through him I can get a ton of things machined. He's made his own drill bits... that one impressed me.

But hey, like you said, it's ambitious. Here's to a successful learning experience! Next to brakes and spark plugs, removing a starter motor is getting into the most complicated stuff I've ever done to a car. I've got good help from my step dad who's done a LOT of this stuff before, whether on his own cars or with some of his friends "back then". This is my opportunity to learn; buy some tools and learn how to use them. I'm more hands on than I am textbook and in the end... if I can successfully say I've built/put together the majority of things then when something breaks down I'm hoping I'll be knowledgeable enough to fix it myself.

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 23 Hrs 45 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 4 Secs
    Well said!

My Mood
    Blah
    Time Online: 3 Mths 2 Days 10 Hrs 5 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 37 Secs
    good luck with that,I'm in the middle of the same thing with my basket case.Trust me I'm starting to wonder why pay $220.00 for this thing
    a learning experience is one of those things that says, you know that thing you just did...don't do that again.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 8 Mths 3 Days 22 Hrs 33 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 20 Mins 7 Secs
    been there, done that. But I got rid of my $200 junker to parts and spent the $1500 for a good starting point. On my second go around at it several upgrades. link in my sig.
    Good luck!
    WARNING! I am about to do something really fawking STUPID!!!!!!
    ᄅ# pɐǝɹʇǝɹ
    93 YJ- RIP- parted out like I should be

Quote Originally Posted by thing1 View Post
    been there, done that. But I got rid of my $200 junker to parts and spent the $1500 for a good starting point. On my second go around at it several upgrades. link in my sig.
    Good luck!

I keep thinking about doing it that way, or even keeping mine as parts and starting fresh elsewhere.

Got the starter on, couldn't get it started. Put a bit of gas down the carb, tried it a few times and eventually got it going. (took it easy to not pour in too much to get any backfire or pop's). Let it run 5 minutes, shut it down, started it back up and it came straight to life. Let it run 20 minutes, shut it down for about 4-5 hours, went to start it up again... didn't go. Turned the key a 2nd time and pumped the gas pedal a few times and BAM, to life she came!

of course, as expected, there's a crap load of carbon pouring out the exhaust when you gas it but that's for another day. Fact is, I can now drive it up and down a trailer! Next step is ripping the rest of the interior out, getting teh tub off, doing the brakes, going out to Oshawa to weld up my old tub and fix'er up, bring it back to Aurora and drop it onto my YJ.

Somewhere in there the frame will get sandblasted and painted.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Mth 5 Days 22 Hrs 12 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 57 Secs

junker

i started with a $400.00 junker, 2 yrs ago, and still working on it.
    Sold---YJ 6 cyl, 5 Spd, 4' Suspension Lift, SYE, 35" Tires, Lockers. Built, Not Bought.
    OF4WD#5888