Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 98 XJ build

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 14 Hrs 23 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 44 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by C.C. View Post
    As soon as motor swap comes into play look at 5k plus by the time you're done. Adaptors, then transmissons, clutches, engine rebiulds if required, Fabricating mounts, Frame stifening, Electrical parts and on and on.....

And this is so anal retentive but, they are DANA axles not DYNA.
    I have to disagree with you.

Mild Built SBC: 300.00 (Included intake, carb, porpane setup, 2wd th400, block huggers, stock mounts, alt, starter, etc and about 7hrs breakin time before fogged and stored)
    TH400, NP203, and a parts NP205: trade for a Ford NP205 and a 5.3l block
    NP203/D300 Doubler: So for 100.00 in machining, with be close to 250.00 total when done
    Frame Plating: Had 1/8" PLate and a plasma, just need time.
    Mounts: Made them from the scrap bin 1/4" plate

By the time I get all the accesories, belts, hoses, brackets and so on I plan on being well below 1000.00........

.....BUT: I have all the tools to weld and cut, I have good friends that get good parts for cheap to free. AND this has taken me a LONG time of collecting (1.5yrs), planning and now I'm just getting to building.

But to run this setup, I'm going to 1tons, so you could add that cost too.
    90 YJ. 4link F/R, 16" SAW Airshocks, 32bolt Beadlocks, D60/14bolt, Full Hydro/Hydroboost L67 3.8SC 700r4 NP231/D300
    02 Yukon XL on 37's DD
    91 Cherokee Juggy scrapped for Greener Grass
    I prefer to build it and not buy it, you see it, I probably made it.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmasterbra View Post
    Only thing im wondering is, what the numbers will be, everyone that has the 4.6 stroker says around 400 at the crank... anyone have one that can give me an accurate number?
    Lurk around NAXJA.org abit. Alot of guys run strokers there.
    Best to average is normally 250-250whp on a 2wd dyno, far cry from 400crank. And that's with alot of tuning.

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    well i will probably be getting a 4.0 HO and if i get that and do the stroker kit, im just wondering what the numbers will be.

As much as a do appriceiate the effort to find one, there a little far of a drive for a motor.
    98 Cherokee Sport, 5 inch lift with BFG Mud-Terrain KM2's, Thrush muffler with full custom exhaust, custom bumper.

04 Mustang Cobra, Pully Tune, bbk long tube, Eibach Pro-plus kit, Corsa DB red series mufflers, 315/35/R17 MT ET Streets w/ Cobra 10.5" width rims.

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 23 Hrs 45 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 4 Secs
    Actually, Mopar has a crate 4.7 stroker that puts out around 250 hp & 290 lbs/ft of torque. It's supposed to bolt in place of any 4.0 motor...

If I was a Jeep, they'd have parted me out a LONG time ago.

I'm a proud member of SOXJA ask me why!

Krawlerz team member too!

OF4WD Member # 5027

Time Online: 4 Hrs 19 Mins 36 Secs
    how bout a merc benz ome617 swap ...... 5 cly turbo diesel
    easily adaptable, loads of torqe in 4 low ....
    a buddy of mine has one in his 4runner
    thing is a beast ....
    and he's still retaining the toyota trans from an adapter plate we built
    if your interested shoot me a pm and ill lead you to some pics

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 3 Wks 6 Days 4 Hrs 27 Mins 52 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 14 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by JKMotorsports View Post
    I have to disagree with you.

Mild Built SBC: 300.00 (Included intake, carb, porpane setup, 2wd th400, block huggers, stock mounts, alt, starter, etc and about 7hrs breakin time before fogged and stored)
    TH400, NP203, and a parts NP205: trade for a Ford NP205 and a 5.3l block
    NP203/D300 Doubler: So for 100.00 in machining, with be close to 250.00 total when done
    Frame Plating: Had 1/8" PLate and a plasma, just need time.
    Mounts: Made them from the scrap bin 1/4" plate

By the time I get all the accesories, belts, hoses, brackets and so on I plan on being well below 1000.00........

.....BUT: I have all the tools to weld and cut, I have good friends that get good parts for cheap to free. AND this has taken me a LONG time of collecting (1.5yrs), planning and now I'm just getting to building.

But to run this setup, I'm going to 1tons, so you could add that cost too.
    I have $1500 in machineing costs on a dodge 318, with new guts (crank cam pumps gaskets) and so on plus mounts from donor jeeps, retro fitting it to an ax-15 and on and on. All I'm really warning of is the $50 here and the $100 there that can add up quick. Tack that on top of custom brackets without any skills or equipment and hell you could be way over 5 K quick fast.

But yeah I'm in the same boat as you. Lots of parts sold or traded for parts I want or need. Lots of tools at my disposal good friends, and a few of my own skills. So I'm comin in on the cheap. Ad the cost of labour and tools and 5 K is gone FAST! (I have about 30-40K worth of tools at work)

By my modest calculations a "simple" transmission swap cost me $2500. This all came 8 months after a rebiuld of my 42RE cost me 1300 for all new guts.

AX-15 $250
    Flywheel $100
    Clutch kit $300
    Crank sensor $50
    Pedals ~ $100
    Hydraulics $300
    Mount $200
    Driveshafts one lengthened and one shortened $300
    Misc hardware and lubricant $200
    Plus GAS to get all this kyfe. The pedals were a trip to Ottawa in the worst snowstorm of '07, The AX bellhousing was a trip to Welland so conservitave say $300 in fuel.

The 318 was supposed to be an out of donor and into the snapper till I saw the inside of the timing cover and realized it was neglected and dry.

Really think of what you collect and the time you spend. Then tell a novice you can Jeep for cheap.

I swear to god they call em Grand cherokees cause every time you look at em it costs you a grand.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 3 Wks 6 Days 4 Hrs 27 Mins 52 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 14 Secs
    Oh plus the reman 1-tons I only paid parts for LOL.

The HP on a 4.0 stroker could be very low as the increased stroke will slow top engine speed and the peak torque will be at a low rpm. HP is a calculation of RPMxTorque/(SOME CRAZY# i forget) = HP. On a Jeep where you run at lower RPM most of the time torque is the # that matters and the lower the RPM on a stroker the better.
    Last edited by C.C.; 01-10-2010 at 01:32 AM.

Well im not to worried about having to make brakets and other little odds and ends, Im not new into building this kind of thing, my dad was a mechanic for 25+ years and If i need help with anyhthing he can easily call a friend to say My son needs this and do it for cash, so parts that would cost somebody 200$ for like a full weld job and other do dads would cost maybe 100, He got a couple of guys who own weld/steel shops so i get steel for rock bottom pricing.

As per plates and adapters i can get those made at school on our CNC mill or use a drill press at home.

My brother and I did a Diesel swap on his truck. 1989 Yota 4Runner.
    He paid 600 for the motor and in parts he probably paid about 200 it took us 2 weeks in the spring when it was super cold to get it do, but it runs awesome and has alot of power and torque.

Other thing is if i need misc. supplies i get it either from work for free, I.E. oils, coolant shit like that, or i can go to S B Simpsons and talk to them because they also know my dad so i can get shit from them DIRT cheap when it comes to bulk nuts and bolts and odball bolts.

We'll have to see what transipers, i did find that 4.0 HO just need to find out some more info.

Do you know pricing?

Quote Originally Posted by JPhoenix View Post
    Actually, Mopar has a crate 4.7 stroker that puts out around 250 hp & 290 lbs/ft of torque. It's supposed to bolt in place of any 4.0 motor...

My Mood
    Paranoid
    No, it was only recently announced in some magazines and some places on-line. Might be worth a trip to the parts department, but I think there may be some parts guys on JK's that might be able to get a price out.

I was a little off on the power ratings; different sources seem to agree it's 265 hp and 290 lbs/ft...

So if the power is only around 250 then i guess it wouldnt even be worth it...maybe just freshen up the 4.0L and make do?

Only other way of building up the motor to build horsepower would be going big and going boosted....which i dont want to do...

I see alot of people wanting to do the 4.3...is there something specail about them like alomost a bolt in place method of swapping them out?

My Mood
    Paranoid
    No, not really. At the very minimum, you'd need new motor mounts (and either weld them in or work out a way to bolt them in), a custom cobbled electrical system, a custom radiator, and altered driveshafts. All this for an engine that either makes less power (160 hp & 230 lbs/ft in TBI form), or juuuuuust about the same (200 hp & 250 lbs/ft in the 1992 CPFI version) power. The real bonus IMHO from the 4.3, is that it weighs 65 lbs less than a 4.0, and that it's shorter lengthwise. On the other hand, some versions are actually taller in height, and can create issues when closing the hood.

How much power are you looking to get? Novak sells bolt-in V8 motor mounts, custom radiators, and lots of info on doing GM V6 and V8 swaps into Jeeps, including the XJ. If it were me, I'd look into doing some minor upgrades to the 4.0 and be done with it. Bolt-ons can do some pretty sweet bumps to the power level, from cams to superchargers. It all comes down to how much you're willing to spend, and how much work you're willing to do. Oh, and how long you want the engine to last... A tuned-out, blown 4.0 isn't going to last 200,000 kms, whereas a nearly stock 4.0 with a cleaned up head, aftermarket intake, exhaust and maybe a little bump in the camshaft should last the same as most 4.0's, but could net you around 210-230 hp.

Another person to ask is Jeepman. He's actually doing most of the stuff I wish I was on his CJ and MJ. He owns a shop, and has more hands on experience than most folks.

Im thinking about this..and would it be worth it to just bite the bullet and maybe do something like a 383 or even old 305? it would give alot of power towards building up my 4.0 right.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 4 Wks 1 Day 7 Hrs 26 Mins 43 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 25 Secs
    The 4L is a great engine. It is designed well, it runs well, it lasts a long time, and it develops a lot of torque. Why waste a good thing?
    I think the "bolt in" MOPAR 4.7L based off the 4L is an awesome motor. With a factory warranty. Despite what people say about the factory...they aren't going to design and sell something that is going to loose them money so it'll be decently reliable. Based off of how reliable the 4L is I would assume it would be very reliable. More reliable than a patched together junkyard V8 swap!
    I wish my JK came with the ol' reliable 4L!
    PAX ARMIS ACQUIRITUR
    99 TJ, HPD60/14B, TMR Customs 3 and 4 link, 40's.

Project Sandstorm Remix

I can probably get you a Crane Cam and a bunch of other valve train parts from a friend that decided to stray from the jeep world.