Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: exprience with goodyear MTR kevlars

Time Online: 5 Mths 19 Hrs 40 Mins 6 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 26 Secs
    I'm running 25 psi, it seems way more mushy in turns and stuff than 30 psi , but the whole tread contacts the road.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 3 Mths 3 Wks 2 Days 18 Hrs 20 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Mins 22 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by hustler View Post
    I'm running 25 psi, it seems way more mushy in turns and stuff than 30 psi , but the whole tread contacts the road.
    25psi ..... wow are they heating up after driving on them at that psi?
    91 Suburban on 38 Swampers, 5.7 (350) V1500 4x4. Big ...red...and ugly.

"The camel toe is the smile of the body, if the body were a face"

Time Online: 14 Hrs 5 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Secs
    its understandable why the MTR-K do not perform in snow or ice. I saw a tire review in JP about the old MTR and it had signifigant results in snow, ice, mud, and street. It probably doesnt help that I run it in 2 wheel drive with little weight in the ass end.

as for these tires in mud and sand they have been great, only got in trouble once and that was due to rubbing my skid plate and getting beached.

I am running my tires at 30psi as I do 85/15 - highway/ offroad, while rotating them every oil change and switching up my spare to get an even wear on all of them.
    KLUTCH

91YJ 4"RC 2"B 33"Goodyears Plated HM Bumpers K&N Flowmaster CB

Quote Originally Posted by jeepinpete View Post
    25psi ..... wow are they heating up after driving on them at that psi?
    No way, they're awesome! I used my infrared thermometer thing in the warmer part of the fall - the entire face of the tread was the same temp and not significantly higher than at 40 or 35 psi - even after about an hour on 400 series highways. People that see me taking the temperature think I'm nuts, but I guess I could be doing crack or something really bad. Last time I did a 1000+ km trip I put the pressure up to 35 for a little less rolling resistance, but the ride gets harsh.

As you can see, I have been experimenting with this for a while. From what I understand, the sidewalls are super stiff and need a relatively low pressure to have a good contact patch.

Edit: These are the MTR-K's - I think a Duratrac would be a totally different story.

My Mood
    Lurking
    No way, they're awesome! I used my infrared thermometer thing in the warmer part of the fall - the entire face of the tread was the same temp and not significantly higher than at 40 or 35 psi - even after about an hour on 400 series highways. People that see me taking the temperature think I'm nuts, but I guess I could be doing crack or something really bad. Last time I did a 1000+ km trip I put the pressure up to 35 for a little less rolling resistance, but the ride gets harsh.

As you can see, I have been experimenting with this for a while. From what I understand, the sidewalls are super stiff and need a relatively low pressure to have a good contact patch.

Edit: These are the MTR-K's - I think a Duratrac would be a totally different story.
    post a pic of these would you please

JeepinPete, I owe you a beer.

I went to collect some pics of my tires. Notice anything missing in the lug nut area? Mysteriously all of the other ones were perfectly tight. I use a torque wrench (100 ft/lb) when I rotate my tires, and check a few days after any time I take my wheels off or put them back on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0969.JPG   IMG_0971.JPG  
    Last edited by hustler; 12-27-2009 at 03:32 PM.

My Mood
    Lurking
    JeepinPete, I owe you a beer.

I went to collect some pics of my tires. Notice anything missing in the lug nut area? Mysteriously all of the other ones were perfectly tight. I use a torque wrench (100 ft/lb) when I rotate my tires, and check a few days after any time I take my wheels off or put them back on.
    your welcome, I may have saved your life ...... nice shoes by the way

Quote Originally Posted by jeepinpete View Post
    your welcome, I may have saved your life ...... nice shoes by the way
    Weird, I'm pretty religious with lug nut torque too.

Thanks regardless.

My Mood
    Cynical
    Time Online: 1 Day 8 Hrs 45 Mins 8 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Secs
    i just got a set of 33x12.50 MTR-Ks. I haven't tried them on anything else but snow, packed snow and ice. I do agree that they are quite slick on the packed snow and on ice, but if there is a good amount of snow on the ground i find that they give sick ass traction.

I know that i'm not getting stuck this winter with these, i climbed a snowbank and dug into it a bit while hung up on peak of the bank. I got got pretty easily, 4 LO and it was a peice of cake
    RIP Blue Beast. 2011 Red Sport Unlimited MODS:........ pockets are already empty.
    O|||||||O