Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: plymouth laser?

Time Online: 12 Hrs 53 Mins 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Secs

plymouth laser?

Anyone? Early 90's plymouth laser turbo.

all I know is that they're very similar to the eclipses and the talons... but not much else about them in regards to reliability?

what are the auto trannys like? I'm afraid of this car turning into a money pit but i'm interested in buying it.

Just looking for some information on what they're known to be bad for, what to look out for.
    Former: 2001 Dodge Durango, SLT+, AWD, 5.9L V8. Leather and fully loaded. 15inch sub, bored TB, old school air intake, tail pipe.

Time Online: 1 Wk 4 Days 16 Hrs 54 Mins 20 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 57 Secs
    the fact that you used talon turbo and money pit in the same paragraph.. should answer your question... back away slowly... this is coming from an old turbo omni owner...
    ~KAMIKAZE~
    A bunch of Flatties

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystake View Post
    Anyone? Early 90's plymouth laser turbo.

off the top of my head i can think of a few things that would be deemed unreliable
    engines,wiring,auto trans,manual trans,cv shafts,shifter linkages,strut towers,steering racks.

oh yah the interior sucks

one good point tho you can go down the 1/4 mile once fast before you have to rebuild the cyl head and put anther gasket in (sometimes in the 13s!)

would make a cool garage queen track car if you were into that kinda money pit behavour

tha laser also shares nothing in common with the talon its a Mitsubishi and the laser is built by alot of the same staff that worked for amc in the 70s and built the jeep we know today
    Last edited by mud bros.1; 12-27-2009 at 01:43 AM.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 1 Wk 4 Days 10 Hrs 59 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 56 Secs
    I had a laser

RUN AWAY run away as fast as you can

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 2 Mins 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 5 Secs
    i never had a single problem with my lazer cept for the paint peeling.
    Strength is nothing more than how well you hide the pain

Yer hot, wet, and extremely satisfying. You always put a smile on my face and yer the first thing i want in my mouth when i wake up....aaaaaahhhhhh Coffee, my only friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayheminc View Post
    i never had a single problem with my lazer cept for the paint peeling.
    must have been a 3.0 with less than 30 000klm

Time Online: 3 Wks 2 Days 6 Hrs 36 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 54 Secs
    Plymouth laser is the same as the eagle talon / mitsu eclipse.

The chrysler laser was like the daytona's.

If you get one prepare to spend a lot of time here : http://ca.dsm.org/

oh and a lot of time fixing shit.

The auto trans are ok as long as you don't go crazy with the mods.

But ya.. a few mods, a different turbo, you have a 13 second 20+mpg car..

they're pretty comfy too..

I had more than a few talons.. 6(??) of them from what i can remember.. money pits, but like a jeep.. when they work, it's VERY rewarding.

I remember living in windsor when we got a really bad snow.. where i lived parking was in the back of the house via an alley. The snow was about 3' deep drifted in.. snow tires plus the awd (with rear limited slip.. check for orange sticker drivers door frame near the vin) the only things getting around were me, and a TJ.
    98 XJ - 3" Lift
    82 Wagoneer - In progress.. future 4bt victim.

My Mood
    Blah
    Time Online: 3 Wks 2 Days 5 Hrs 23 Mins 29 Secs
    I owned a turbo laser as my first car, The thing talked to me. Was very cool at the time.
    They are the same cars as the daytona and the chargers of the same year.
    2.2l was a great motor, Beat on it for 2 years. It developed a tick and I could never blow it up. A computer chip and some more boost , I was in the low 14`s. Rev it up to 3500rpm, dump the clutch , wheel hoop like mad and away ya go..

My Mood
    Amused
    Time Online: 2 Mths 11 Hrs 48 Mins 38 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 58 Secs
    Poster does not represent or warrant the the information accessible via this post is accurate or complete. Except as specifically stated on this post, neither rbjeepthing nor any of his affiliates, will be liable for damages arising out of or in connection with the use of this post.

i thought the early 90 was one of these pos

the late 90s are a bit better but not terific
    Last edited by mud bros.1; 12-28-2009 at 03:34 PM.

The laser turbo is out.

... ford focus is in... as are cobalts... those are the two I'm looking at right now. I don't have my heart set on /anything/. I'm just looking around as much as I can right now.

My parents agreed to let me tap into some funds I had locked away so I've been able to do a rather LARGE increase into my budget.

Current contender, from the Ford side is:
    104 000km
    Power Windows, Heated mirrors, power steering, power brakes, power sunroof, manual seats, key fob (has both), 5 speed. Umm... the interior was REALLY and I mean REALLY clean. Also a 4dr. HEATED SEATS!! I almost forgot about that one, and the traction control system.

From the Chevy side:
    83 000km
    I can't remember if this particular one was a 4dr or a 2dr... but we'll say 4dr 5speed (right next to it was a 2dr auto, I think... I'll have to check on that)
    The interior was clearly worn out already. I ... actually, screw the cobalts. There was a red one with 103 on the clock, the car felt abused and weak. Hell, the interior was falling apart and was dirty.

Most of the cobalts I saw, the interior was falling apart. The focus on the other hand was like new.

Anyway, so,
    83 000km
    4dr/5speed
    PB, PS, no power anything else. no sunroof. Did not see a TCS but I'd assume it has one. (for arguments sake, let's assume it does, even if it doesn't)
    it really just doesn't have THAT many options to be pretty blunt

actually, the focus is nicer over all... in every way... except that it's a ford.

both are priced similarly. The most comparable cars though were the red cobalt, with a whack of power options... and even then the focus has more options and before I even tried to talk to the guy, he knocked 450$ off the asking price making it cheaper than the cobalt (not sure how much that one would come down).

going back tomorrow to take a 2nd look at the focus and test drive it. I'm really leaning towards it, I'm just scared as all hell about maintenance ...

My Mood
    Amused
    What is your budget? The focuses are decent by why not a Honda?

focus has a good track record aside from auto trans.

cobalts are haveing a few growing pains with electrical as there a bit newer.

Quote Originally Posted by mud bros.1 View Post
    focus has a good track record aside from auto trans.

cobalts are haveing a few growing pains with electrical as there a bit newer.

ive heard the focus manuals are crap. Shame, because that what the one i'm going to see tomorrow has.

Time Online: 2 Days 2 Hrs 29 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by RBJeepThing View Post
    What is your budget? The focuses are decent by why not a Honda?

x2.

A 10-year older Honda will be more reliable than any domestic. You can choose domestics for many reasons, but if you actually believe they're more reliable than a Honda you're in denial or on crack. (This coming from guy who's only owned domestic).

It's no accident that a 3-year old Cobalt is worth the same as an 8-year old Civic.

For the Focus, well, Honda aside the Focus is actually a great car from what I read everywhere. Maybe play it safe and stay clear of 2000 models though. From what I see on the road everyday, Focuses love to lose paint from peeling off the bottoms of the doors, wheel wells, trunk... well.. everywhere.

LC.
    So I installed the flux capacitor but the Jeep just won't do 88 mph.

- '97 TJ, 4" Superlift, 33" SSRs, lunchboxed rear, 12K Titan, and 2.5 litres of exhillirating performance

- '99 WJ Limited 4.7, 2" RC BB, 31" Mall-Terrains, Pavement Princess

Quote Originally Posted by LocoCoco View Post
    x2.

A 10-year older Honda will be more reliable than any domestic. You can choose domestics for many reasons, but if you actually believe they're more reliable than a Honda you're in denial or on crack. (This coming from guy who's only owned domestic).

It's no accident that a 3-year old Cobalt is worth the same as an 8-year old Civic.

For the Focus, well, Honda aside the Focus is actually a great car from what I read everywhere. Maybe play it safe and stay clear of 2000 models though. From what I see on the road everyday, Focuses love to lose paint from peeling off the bottoms of the doors, wheel wells, trunk... well.. everywhere.

LC.

i'm spending about 6 large. I decided I didn't want to spend much more than that.

Also, I've heard from someone who worked for Honda, bought their civic STRIAGHT from honda... 2001 Civic... a freaking Lemon. I think she said 17 out of 23 '01 civics were lemons off the factory line.

that, or 17 out of 23 weren't. Either way, I'm not touching them. Sorry to be so stubborn about it. That, and I'm a domestic person anyway.

My Mood
    Blah
    Time Online: 3 Wks 2 Days 5 Hrs 23 Mins 29 Secs
    VW diesels are very good cars minus some small switch problems that are wasy to sure.. great milage and reliable. 2002 jetta or gold are great and around $6000

well the ford focus fell through. Negotiations at the dealership didn't work out.

Time Online: 2 Days 2 Hrs 29 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Secs
    i'm spending about 6 large. I decided I didn't want to spend much more than that.

Also, I've heard from someone who worked for Honda, bought their civic STRIAGHT from honda... 2001 Civic... a freaking Lemon. I think she said 17 out of 23 '01 civics were lemons off the factory line.

that, or 17 out of 23 weren't. Either way, I'm not touching them. Sorry to be so stubborn about it. That, and I'm a domestic person anyway.

You're not touching '01 Civics or not touching Hondas at all? Because you heard a bad story about one model from one year by one person? Every manufacturer will have a certain percentage of lemons, but that rate is far less with Honda over any domestic brand.

I assure you there is no shortage of horror stories about domestics. :rolleyes:

Find some Consumer Reports statistics on vehicles and you'll see that Hondas are hands-down the most reliable vehicles on the road. Remember that this data is not subjective. It's a compilation of statistical data from thousands of vehicles across North America. There's no opinion in it, only fact.

Also check out Edmunds.com and read the owner's reviews for each model you're considering. Personally, if I were looking for a reliable car for $6000, I'd be all over a '98-'02 Accord.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of (some) domestics as well. In fact, it's looking like my wife's next ride will be a Chrysler 300. We like that car for it's styling, performance, and price, but I completely understand that it will be nowhere near as reliable as a same-year Accord or Camry.

Whatever you choose, good luck dude.

LC.

My Mood
    Amused

Exactly that's why 96-00 Civics is what I would recommend. 01 was a brand new model and growing pains always causes issues the first year of a new model. 01 and up have either the horrid d17 motor with the late model Civics coming with a K series engine. Pre 2000 use a double wishbone suspension whereas post 2000 use a macpherson strut.

Next to the 88-91 EF's which are becoming hard to find in good shape the 96-00 ek's are your best bet.

The wife picked up a 96 Coupe EX last year with 130,000km on it for $4000.00 cert and etested to give you an idea on pricing.