Thread: removing 4.3

Time Online: 1 Day 5 Hrs 55 Mins 3 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Secs

removing 4.3

any tips or suggestions? I could barely get a socket on any of the bellhousing bolts so I decide to try and pull the tranny and motor as a whole there is 1 bolt holding the tranny to the Tcase on the drivers side at the top that is giving me issues. any pointers are appreciated.
    95 s10- tonka truck, 31s 3 inch lift
    87 toyota clusterfawk , 305 39s mud mud/rock toy
    85 scottsdale ,4 inch lift 33" mtz 350 sbc my future DD/weekend warrior

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Time Online: 1 Wk 1 Day 22 Hrs 13 Mins 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 44 Secs
    I have not pulled a 4.3, but have done V8s. For the hard to reach bell housing bolts sometime a couple of extensions with a universal joint will get you there. Use heat shrink or maybe black tape over the universal joint to keep it sorta rigid to get the socket on. To pull the engine and trans together it is helpful to have a tilter on your engine hoist.
    Ron
    '05 GMC Highrider ZR2
    OF4WD#5914

so just a heads up for anyone thinking of doing a 4.3 its the most ignorant job I have ever done I can swap a 350 like clock work but a v6 has my knuckles busted up and its on my last nerve. I had to pull the front and rear drive shafts I pull the tcase while I was at it. tranny mount had to come out and the oil pan had to come off to allow the motor to come forward . EFF YOU GM! I can hardly wait till I have to put the motor in my DD

when I posted my little rant I thought that removing the oil pan would allow the space needed to get the motor out a little further into my manual it explains that the front diff must be removed to get the space to get the oil pan out. this is turning into my worst nightmare.

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    this sounds crazy but you have to remove the trans from under the truck then remove the engine out the top.

it sounds like extra work but on a jimmy it saves work.

when you remove the crossmeber just lower the jack and let the trans drop 10 inches and the bellhousing will be verry easy to get to from under the truck.

once the trans is off you can lift the engine vertical a few inches so it can come forward and out.

since the heads are coming off anyway yank them in the truck it also makes it easyer to get to the bellhousing it also clears some room to go straight up with the motor

finally got the motor out loosing the tranny made a world of difference thanks mudbros if I ever get the chance I owe ya a beer or 12