Thread: 4.3 non vortec - swap to 4.3 vortec

Time Online: 1 Day 5 Hrs 55 Mins 3 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Secs

4.3 non vortec - swap to 4.3 vortec

I own a 1995 s10 the motor is shot it is a non vortec tbi , I got a hell of a deal on a 1993 blazer with a gm crate engine with 65 000km. the blazer is a vortec motor what all would it take to swap the two motors? I have the complete blazer so computer wiring harness ect.
    95 s10- tonka truck, 31s 3 inch lift
    87 toyota clusterfawk , 305 39s mud mud/rock toy
    85 scottsdale ,4 inch lift 33" mtz 350 sbc my future DD/weekend warrior

so far all I have found is that the fuel pump needs to be changed. Can I use the one out of the donor truck? will the wire harness for the 93 plug in at the bulkhead or do modifications need to be made? will the computer need to be changed? if so does it matter that the donor is an automatic and my truck is a 5speed? any other tips are appreciated I cant tear into my truck until I know what I am doing and I cant keep driving to work with a pooched motor

Time Online: 6 Days 10 Hrs 20 Mins 29 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 31 Secs
    is the blazer the "old " style s10 ?since your truck is the new style ,and they did come with the multiport vortec in '95 [ its a bastardised set-up in 95 ], it would probably be worth your while to find someone wrecking a multiport and buy the proper harness etc .Also f.y.i.,all 4.3's are "vortec " at least from '87 ,it has to do with the head design not the fuel system as is commonly thought .

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 23 Hrs 45 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 4 Secs
    Sorry, no clue here. I'm curious about this myself, but I beleive that you'll need to swap wiring harnesses if the Vortec engine is the newer Central Port Injection style. There's a couple of S-10/Blazer forums out there that might have a better idea, since they deal with it almost exclusively. I'm not sure, but Edelbrock might havea TBI/Vortec intake manifold for the 4.3 V6.

I also think that you'll have some issues of compatibility for the auto to manual tranny swap if the tranny is the 4L60E instead of the 4L60/700R4. One way to check is to look at the auto tranny's kickdown cable. If it's a cable, and not a sensor, then it'll be the 4L60E tranny (I think.)

Anyone else know more on this? I'm woefully underpowered when it comes to pulling onto this on-ramp.

If I was a Jeep, they'd have parted me out a LONG time ago.

I'm a proud member of SOXJA ask me why!

Krawlerz team member too!

OF4WD Member # 5027

4l60e has no kick down cable as its electronic ,the 700 has the tv cable but pretty sure they were fazed out by '93 .

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    keep it simple and just use the heads and intake of the old engine.

nothing from the vortec system will work in your older jimmy just the short block.

the harness,heads,intake,fuel inj,fuel system is verry different.

all 4.3s were not vortecs non vortec heads are verry different and non interchangable with others and need a vortec specific intake

my old motor is hurting it has 270 *** km its sucked in more water than id like to think about is it totally impossible to make this work? i would be going from a tbi setup to a cpi

you have to use tbi heads or a custom manifold.

have your old heads rebuilt or find a good set of tbi heads

your old heads can be rebuilt for around $350.

if you dont know there differences between the engines i would say the swap is way over your head.

there is a substantial amount of work to convert the tbi truck to the vortec system.

of coarse money changes everthing but from what i gather from your posts your on a limited budget

but this http://www.painlessperformance.com/w...archAll=Trucks

new tank and fuel lines will get it running

you will just have to mod the trans tv linkage and if its even a bit wrong it will destroy the trans 700r4 is not verry forgiving when poorly adjusted
    Last edited by mud bros.1; 01-19-2010 at 08:32 AM.

In 1985, the 4.3L was either equipped with throttle-body fuel injection, RPO LB4 or a Rochester Quadrajet 4-Barrel carburetor, RPO LB1. The Chevrolet fullsize sedans and the Chevrolet El Camino used the LB4 rated at 130 hp (97 kW). Pick-ups and Vans used the LB1 version rated at 155 hp (116 kW). The LB1 used in trucks and vans was referred to as Vortec in Chevrolet literature (named after a combustion chamber design known as a swirl port which twists the fuel mix from the intake ports as introduced on the Cavalier 2.0L motor), and this name continued to be used with all truck and van 4.3L V6s until present day
    c-p from wikipedia ,like I posted earlier ,vortec has to do with combustion chamber design not fuel system like is commonly thought .

Quote Originally Posted by bruces View Post
    ,vortec has to do with combustion chamber design not fuel system like is commonly thought .
    aka "cylinder head" note how the intake bolts down to the heads(this is a marine engine and you could use the marine tbi intake on the newer 4.3 but good luck finding one)
    http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/image...010/01/138.jpg

now note how the non vortec intake bolts down
    http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/image...010/01/139.jpg

try to mix and match intakes and fuel systems dare you
    Last edited by mud bros.1; 01-19-2010 at 09:32 AM.

yes tbi 4.3 engines commonly have vortec on the air cleaners but we still call them non vortec due to the diferences in cly heads.

just for confusion sake

if you tryed to buy vortec tbi heads you would get the wrong ones and be the 90 deg intake bolt pattern.

so just for simplicity its common to cal the tbi engine non vortec and the cfi engine vortec

hence the fuel inj clasifications

wow thanks alot guys I got more helpful info here than on a stictly s10 4.3 forum . So from alot of hand holding from mud bros Ive decided to stay TBI can anyone recomend a good place to get my heads rebuilt ?

I got a little conflicting info on the s10 site a member told me that the intakes did not change until 1996 and for a simple swap all I need to do is swap the intakes any ideas on this?

Time Online: 7 Mths 4 Days 31 Mins 46 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 17 Mins 38 Secs
    when you get them rebuilt, can you post where, and how much? i'd like to get the heads on my 4.3 redone eventually this year.

check out the pics i posted and note how the intake bolts down.

if the fasteners on bolth intakes are on the same angle your good just swap the intake

I just drove out to where my motor is to compare the two the intakes bolt down the same way thanks alot for walking me through this