View Poll Results: Strength idea's

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • 45's in the corners

3 50.00%
  • Full weld and make it not interchangable

1 16.67%
  • double up on the back with another piece of tubing.

1 16.67%
  • other (please leave post for idea.)

1 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hitch Mount Spare tire hold

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A

Hitch Mount Spare tire hold

I am in the process of building my holder for my fullsize spare for my 98 XJ.

It consists of 2" Square tubing which is 1/4 thick.
    I cut it to conture the back of my truck and welded it together.
    I then took one of my old Hub Assemblies and pulled the bearing off and then cut of the spindle mount.
    Then put it on the lethe with a quick change post and carbide bit and cut until square.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0560.JPG   front veiw of tireholder.JPG   PICT0010.JPG   PICT0006.JPG   PICT0007.JPG  

98 Cherokee Sport, 5 inch lift with BFG Mud-Terrain KM2's, Thrush muffler with full custom exhaust, custom bumper.

04 Mustang Cobra, Pully Tune, bbk long tube, Eibach Pro-plus kit, Corsa DB red series mufflers, 315/35/R17 MT ET Streets w/ Cobra 10.5" width rims.

My Mood
    Confused
    Time Online: 2 Yrs 1 Mth 3 Wks 3 Days 21 Hrs 34 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Hr 4 Mins 31 Secs
    i for sure want to see you finish looks at this point it will be great .i'll be watching

Thanks.
    Yeah im not sure if I will get it powdercoated or to just paint it...
    Only thing i need to do if figure a way to get the senseless raddling away of the hitch...little bit of movement just makes that little bit of noise, and if i get it powdercoated i think it might be enough to eliminate the noise.

Time Online: 3 Days 10 Hrs 8 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 16 Secs
    Stuff a cedar shim in it, cheap, temporary and quiet.

I was also thinking about a small peice of dynamat. but if it rubs through it will start sticking...
    The only downside to the ceder is that i need it to come off easily and the ceder will be annoying to put back all the time.

Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 22 Hrs 36 Mins 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 7 Secs

Anti Rattle

I saw this in a build on another site, he drilled and tapped a hole next to the pin and uses a bolt to keep it from rattling. Could use a thumb screw so its easily removable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JerryCanHolder.jpg  
    '02 TJ - DD/Parts Runner
    '83 CJ8 - Toy/Project

thats exactly the idea!
    It will work well, maybe if I take a wing nut and just get a small piece of threaded rod?

Living out of Jeep between Toronto to Owen Sound
    My Mood
    Tired
    Time Online: 5 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 12 Hrs 46 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 13 Mins 6 Secs

carrier

I mocked up something in paint.

It allows you to mount your hi-lift under your tire and if you want you can have it like a swing down with a locking pin so you can still (Sort of) access your hatch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tire Carrier.jpg  

im thinking that im going to mount my Highlift on my front bumper when i build it.
    Just wondering if anyone has ideas for holding a highlift.

Finish Line is close!

Almost done just painting, got everything all done.

1" bolt with nut and ground down a bit of the nut to fit in, welded it in place, placed "hub" on and tightened with the impact, then welded the back of the plate all the way around.

Next I took extra 2" square tubing from the project and cut a dimond shape on a angle in the tubing using a bandsaw, welded it into place on the lower half of the upper section.

Lastly i grabbed a can of Gloss Black tremclad paint, i know big spender... well then i got a set of shiny new lugs and a locking lug and key.

YAY! soon enough i wont be driving around worried if im going to get a flat and be totally S-O-L!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0565.JPG   WELDED IN 3.jpg  

Needed To Make These Photos Smaller
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WELDED IN 2.jpg   WELDED IN.jpg  

Finished!

soon i will get a picture of the tire on it and a solid test will be using it everyday and to see how accessable and easy it is to get into the trunk moving it off and on when doing so.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0566.JPG   IMG_0568.JPG   IMG_0567.JPG  

My Mood
    Cool
    Time Online: 3 Mths 4 Days 15 Hrs 57 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 46 Secs
    so you have to remove it everytime you want to get into the trunk?
    Professional lunatic
    TJ V3.0 in the works "This is only temporary, unless uhhhh..... it works."
    I get confused once numbers get bigger than I can count on my appendages. I'm only good up to 21!
    one quarter turn before something breaks is a good torque spec.

Yeah i didnt make a pivital point Because i didnt want to deal with anything breaking, i want to try and design something that can be put on and almost swing away like the tj but yet still be hitch mount, I just like the fact i can go from spare tire holder to 2" ball reciever and then to a 25,000lbs hook for any reason.... you know? i dont think if i were to weld into the side or something it would help, plus;
    if im to get caught up on a high angle or think im going to i can just remove the tire and have the extra foot of room right? so i am going to try it out and ill let you guys know how much of a bad i dea it was...

30.00 in steel...
    45.00 for first Chiropractor Visit....
    23.00 after words....
    Wonder if the chiropactor will say it was a good idea... hahaha

So i mounted the holder on my truck...
    Looks really, really good, only two problem/concerns
    the tire sits really high in the back window so im going to cut about 3-5 inches off and reweld it, also I drilled the hole out pretty close to the end of the tube what i thought would be reasonable but.. turns out it allows alot of movement between up and down and side to side...but I shall fix these errors and i will post pictures of it on my truck tomorrow...to dark tonight and you can see what I mean.

One other thing....its really heavier then i thought, with the combined weight of the tire and the holder....I would say atleast 70lbs....

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 37 Secs
    If you're gonna chop it up again, might I make a suggestion to increase functionality of the part? I know you didn't include a hinge to remove the chance of it breaking, but with this design the weight is carried by the hinge only until a pin is inserted.

By hinging the lower 90, and adding a hitch pin to retain it while upright, you allow the user to lower the tire to the ground and gain access to the hatch area, without having to remove the carrier. You could investigate a latch system, but in the interest of simplicity and very minimal cost, this could be included on the build.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Noltz; 01-09-2010 at 04:19 PM.
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

Time Online: 19 Hrs 14 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Secs
    ^ thats good untill the first rock, could you hinge it on top?

07 JK X 4 Door on 35's Ran out of $$
    (|||||||)
    *_________ *

well i think thats a good idea, if i were to weld in 2 1/2" plates oon either side with a piece of either 1/2" or 3/8" in the center it could take the abuse...
    The only thing im worried about is the hinge breaking or something happening to the hinge i.e. seizing up? i dont think it would but you know.

Well I don't think it'd seize up because you'd be putting stuff in the back on a fairly regular basis anyway, no? And besides, you have a HUGE leverage advantage. Remember that if you drill the hole first and THEN put the tire on, any deflection in the hinge will be stopped by the pin in the retaining hole... and that type of sheer stress is exactly what hitch pins are designed to hold. Once upright and locked, there'd be virtually no load on the hinge itself... all on the hitch pin.

The illustration obviously sucks, but the idea was to weld a box section to the horizontal bar, and two tabs to the vertical bar. When the vertical comes up, the two tabs slide onto each side of the welded-on box. A hole is bored through all 4 walls, just like a trailer hitch setup. You could even add a piece of plate across the top to add more strength to the tabs, and give even more area to weld.

Ideally, you'd have swing out... but that requires a whole bumper and a LOT more cash. This is a simple, effective solution to safely carrying a full size spare!

I downloaded sketchup to do a quick drawing... and found my sketch skills suck just as bad as paint. Hahaha! This gives you a better idea though. You can add a plate on top of the tabs for more strength, if you'd like.