Thread: 06 Toyota Corolla Mystery problem!

Time Online: 2 Days 10 Hrs 12 Mins 8 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Secs

06 Toyota Corolla Mystery problem!

First one to guess what it is will be the winner.

It's my old mans car. Don't have a clue what it is - whatever it is, it's goign to the garage pronto...

The curiosity is killing me however...because I don't know what it is.

-thought it was a bad winter tire/ makes noise like tire rubbing on some plastic, like rubbing vibration noise coming from drive side
    -jacked it up wit hthe floor jack, makes same noise - so tire eliminated (plus no unusual wear)
    -now there is a clunking 'feel'(no noise from the feel, but still the rubbing noise) - to the point where it is not drivable - something is terribly wrong.

If i were to guess, I'd say its the axle shaft - it seems crooked, but i can't tell for sure..

thought maybe someone can chime in their guess from said tell tales.

Did I say there will be a winner?
    -Marco
    98 TJ SE Apex
    2010 JKU-S

M i k e oOI I I I I I IOo N o v e m b e r
    The infantry is challenging. Both mentally, and physically. To do this kind of work you must appreciate being mentally and physically challenged.

12/04/2010 - Black 2010 JKU-S Order Placed
    21/04/2010 - VN Created
    04/04/2010 - Build Sched, Rail # assg
    15/05/2010 - Recd - 17km ODO

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs
    They're known for wheel bearings. Echo's more, but Corolla's too. And be careful with identifying which side as I've been fooled twice on which one needs doing (and ended up doing the other one too). Also jacking up one side will cause the diff to spin like crazy adding to the noise.

The splash shields / fender skirts have a habit of coming loose and hitting the tires. Check for rubbing. They pop back into place when stopped so you don't see it unless you're looking.

The clunking feel, in the steering wheel? Camrys and Avalons have/had a service bulletin for steering shaft play in the joints.

The axle being bent isn't normal, unless you're talking about the angle of the CV joint... but I don't think you'd mistake that. Pic?
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Noltz View Post
    They're known for wheel bearings. Echo's more, but Corolla's too. And be careful with identifying which side as I've been fooled twice on which one needs doing (and ended up doing the other one too). Also jacking up one side will cause the diff to spin like crazy adding to the noise.
    I think it may be the bearing. Feels like it and sounds like it could be. I noticed when the weight of car distributes to passenger when going around a bend the noise is louder. Vice versa as well, but not as pronounced.

The splash shields / fender skirts have a habit of coming loose and hitting the tires. Check for rubbing. They pop back into place when stopped so you don't see it unless you're looking.
    They're all in place. I thought it was the slush build up the first time i heard it...but no such luck...

The clunking feel, in the steering wheel? Camrys and Avalons have/had a service bulletin for steering shaft play in the joints.
    Going of my old man on the clunking. I only experienced it when I jacked up the front off the ground. The 15min drive to the mechanics I experienced nothing like it....

The axle being bent isn't normal, unless you're talking about the angle of the CV joint... but I don't think you'd mistake that. Pic?
    This is the best I could do...pardon my ignorance, not familiar at all with this type of setup - i guessed it as a the axle shaft..

bah, i messed the photo up. The shaft is in the upper most border of the photo - can't even tell if there is a bend in it or not...

I dunno, if I had to guess, I'd say bearing - but I really don't know.

I should also mentioned that when the weight of the car was being distributed to the passenger side because of a right angle bend, the noise got worse - best as I can describe it is small 24" mud tires - but not the tire.

Noise diagnosis over the net is virtually impossible, but I can tell you from experience that the wheel bearings are common. Do you have a mechanic you can trust near by? Problem with Toyota bearings is they act opposite to what you'd expect. Normally (say, a GM) if you turn left, all the weight transfers right - and the noise gets louder. This would say "Okay, it's the right front bearing" because it makes sense.

Not with Toyotas...

As I mentioned before, I've been stung. Toyotas can start making more noise when they're UNLOADED. You proved it when you spun it up with no weight on it. So ask your garage to be very careful in diagnosing which side it's on because a Toyota trained technician warned you they're sneaky.

As for the axle shaft, I have had very few problems with those. Yours looks fine, it has the normal bend at the CV shaft. You're not used to it because in Jeeps, with their solid axles, they stay straight when looked at from dead-ahead. Independent front suspension gives it that angle, and it's normal.

Solve the major noise issue before digging into the steering clunk. Sector shafts, or intermediate shafts, are more common on Camry and Avalon, but I've done one or two in Corrolas too. You can help by spraying the lower pinch bolt at the steering rack now with penetrating fluid. The bolts don't break, but the oil will help get the old shaft off the rack if you end up changing it.

Thanks a lot for your help man. I wish I had the time (and space) to tinker with it, but the old man just dropped it off at a mechanics I can't stand - I would have preferred him to take it the dealership, but each to his own.... I'll warn the thie...err mechanic concerning the car and its devious tendencies.

Again, as always, I appreciate your help man!

It was the driver side wheel bearing

Winnah!