Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of a VW diesel for a DD

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 37 Secs

Thinking of a VW diesel for a DD

There's a few low-buck (<$2k) diesels on Kijiji and I might have a buyer for my 4Runner. Given my hour long commute every morning I'm burning $300 a month in gasoline. I know that's not high to some people but it's way more than I've ever paid to get to work.

What should I look for in a MK2 and MK3 diesels? Hoping for an automatic w/turbo, but I'll probably end up with a manual (not many autos around). Any common issues?

I was hoping to get enough cash together and grab that little Golf from fifty, but it's not on the FS board anymore.
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

Time Online: 6 Hrs 51 Mins 43 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs
    theres alot of common problems but really when you get down to the bare facts diesel is no cheaper than gas

yes you get better fuel milage but the cost of repair is high unless your doing like me and gott 6 stockpiled that youve picked up and drove the snot out of for 500 or less each but your hour long commute each way will burn maybe 80 bucks worth of fuel a week instead of your 300 but be weary of timming belts and crank balancers that is the most common problem and change the timming belt fuel filter and glow plugs as soon as you get it because these will make the motor go puke if somthing goes wrong

if ya wanna know more email me at newfiebull@gmail.com

ive been owning and running these things for the better part of 10 years now and know em inside and out and have even searched out rare things im a bit of a vw fanatic for both gasses and diesels

Time Online: 1 Mth 6 Days 5 Hrs 55 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 58 Secs
    Good choice Noltz. I picked up an 02 Jetta TDI a couple months ago for $4200 with 225K on it. $20 vs $60 a week in diesel/gas. X2 on what Bull said. Get the timming belt done right away. I had dealer records of maintenaince so i am good for another 20K before i need to get mine done. My mechanic quoted me $800 to get it done vs the dealer's $1350... Ouch! Good luck with the search.
    O.F.4.W.D. #5263

My Mood
    Cynical
    Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 3 Hrs 28 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 41 Secs
    '02 VW TDi, 280k.... over 1000km's a tank

love my TDi!
    '05 Rubi, 102" WB, Supercharged 4.0l, 37" MTR's, 14" CO's, Chromos, TerraFlex Swayloc, Currie AntiRock rear, Chevy/Warn 44 Hub Conversion, Stauns, Staang fabbed custom long arms, Tube Fenders & steering.

My Mood
    Amused
    Time Online: 2 Mths 11 Hrs 48 Mins 38 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 58 Secs
    mmmm Nazi Sled
    Poster does not represent or warrant the the information accessible via this post is accurate or complete. Except as specifically stated on this post, neither rbjeepthing nor any of his affiliates, will be liable for damages arising out of or in connection with the use of this post.

I'm in Hamilton but now working at Dorval and Lakeshore. Burloak-Bronte is brutal no matter which way I go. I've found a zig-zag route that has trimmed it down to 45/50 minutes... but I figure if I can save $200 a month by swapping vehicles it's damn worth it.

Time Online: 2 Mths 2 Wks 2 Hrs 43 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Mins 5 Secs
    I owned a MK3 Diesel Golf.

I wouldn't do it again. The thing was a nightmare and a bitch to work on.

Some people have good stories. If it came brand new with a warranty i'd consider one. But I hate the widgets and complexities that VW "engineering" used to accomplish simple tasks. To put it in perspective my Golf cost me as much to run as my 95 Grand Cherokee on 33's did. Why? Parts. What I saved in Fuel I spent on parts. And hated every minute of working on it. I would recommend something along the lines of a Honda or Toyota for cheap, reliable transportation. I've had excellent luck with my 98 Cavalier however I do realise that is not the case for everybody, they're also turds for the most part. But they rival Lego in simplicity and cheap, abundant parts are excellent. I like being able to walk into an autoparts store on Saturday morning in need of something badly and they have it on the shelf at an affordable price.

Oh and one thing to look out for on the MK3 VW's, the odometer rolls over at 299,999 and resets to ZERO. The word "Total" disappears from the display. So if you see a VW with a mileage reading of 98,000 and it doesn't read "total" on the odemeter, it in fact has 398,000kms.

If VW ever designed a Napkin:

Last edited by NINE-T-1-RENEGADE; 01-20-2010 at 04:28 PM.

Renegade I said that they are not cheap to fix unless your like me and have a stockpile of them in various farmers fields and yes they are so well engeniered to handle and be efficent that they can be a pain and comlex to work on but I love em for that I've not seen many other cars I can do the stuff I've done with a vw and yeah the odometer thing is true with the mk 3 and I would stay away from the mk2 parts are about donor the cost for them of the mk3 they also have a negative ground electrical system like British cars so whatch out for that if your working on them and wow 800 to do a timing belt? Give me 400 and I can get it done for ya lol and I'll still be making some money lol my guy does em for me cheap if I'm to lazy to do em myself. Oh another common issue is the strut tower bushings goes but it's an easy fix like 20 bucks a side lol if you guys need parts for em let me know I got sources for the parts cheep cheep like half f what most parts stores will charge you I have a friend up runs a vw specialized garage an he gives me cost on everything

Also I would advise stickig with the aaz engine which is the 1.9 either in turbo or non turbo an staying away from the tdi the tdi is gutless and has so many problems compared to the aaz and is all electronic and makes it a prick to fix were as the aaz is a full mechanical

Time Online: 2 Mths 3 Wks 3 Days 17 Hrs 2 Mins 8 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Mins 57 Secs
    My first real car was a 94 Golf Diesel. Loved it. Bunch of little issues but nothing major and i fixed it all myself - was a good experience. Traded for a Jeep....

Now, picked up a 2000 Jetta TDI mainly because I was told its even a bit better on fuel, I like the styling better, and comfier.... Had it for a few months and now put in a new engine and clutch which cost a small fortune, however we'll just have to be buried in it. Bought it with roughly 200k and now has 250k after 8months of owning it, but with a new engine with only 100. However, its not a common thing that you would have to replace the engine - mine was a fluke occurance: An engine mount bolt sheared plopped the engine down on the timing belt, pistons took out all the valves, etc. Other than that, I love it other than electrical quirks. If I would do it again, I would likely get a Diesel MK3 Jetta for the benefit of it all being mechanical.

Oh, and from an engineering standpoint I really do like VW despite their quirks.
    Tri-City Jeep Club

My Mood
    Confused
    Time Online: 2 Yrs 1 Mth 3 Wks 3 Days 21 Hrs 34 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Hr 4 Mins 31 Secs
    noltz buy the TDI you will like it in the long run..oh and do not buy a passat ...jetta or golf is better
    http://www.youtube.com/user/piratexpress1369a
    96 ZJ 4.0L 33x15 BFG'S

OF4WD#5926

http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...sket+placement

IN LOVING MEMORY ..DAYKOTA
    PIRATES NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT HIS BOAT..

This was the point where i'd had enough with "German Engineering". I was replacing the Transmission (which decided to grenade the final drive after some rivets decided they wanted to go on vacation) and had to undo half a dozen of these pain in the ass pieces to disconnect the linkage. Yes, they're plastic:

My Mood
    Amused
    Time Online: 2 Mths 11 Hrs 48 Mins 38 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 58 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by NINE-T-1-RENEGADE View Post
    I owned a MK3 Diesel Golf.

I wouldn't do it again. The thing was a nightmare and a bitch to work on.

Some people have good stories. If it came brand new with a warranty i'd consider one. But I hate the widgets and complexities that VW "engineering" used to accomplish simple tasks. To put it in perspective my Golf cost me as much to run as my 95 Grand Cherokee on 33's did. Why? Parts. What I saved in Fuel I spent on parts. And hated every minute of working on it. I would recommend something along the lines of a Honda or Toyota for cheap, reliable transportation. I've had excellent luck with my 98 Cavalier however I do realise that is not the case for everybody, they're also turds for the most part. But they rival Lego in simplicity and cheap, abundant parts are excellent. I like being able to walk into an autoparts store on Saturday morning in need of something badly and they have it on the shelf at an affordable price.

Oh and one thing to look out for on the MK3 VW's, the odometer rolls over at 299,999 and resets to ZERO. The word "Total" disappears from the display. So if you see a VW with a mileage reading of 98,000 and it doesn't read "total" on the odemeter, it in fact has 398,000kms.

Agreed

Worked for a few years in a VW shop and the major thing I learned was never to own one personally. In comparison with real numbers my 93 Civic CX with 380,000km gets 500km plus per tank mixed city and highway at $30-$35 to fill up right now in the winter. Summer I get 575km + per tank of fuel. Parts are the cheapest I have found for the model year 92-95.

Here's the old company car
    Last edited by RBJeepThing; 01-20-2010 at 05:28 PM.

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 6 Days 22 Hrs 22 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 35 Secs
    Add my vote to never owning another VW again. My Jeep was cool and quirky enough, I didn't need another one. Sure they have a great engine, but the spaghetti wiring was a nightmare, all other parts have an expiry date, even if they just sit. I'm a Civic owner as well. Bought with a 150K, now almost 300 and I'm not sure if I know how to fix it. I've replaced wipers, changed oil and spark plugs. Only trip was to a mechanic for the timing belt. 1,000 KMs to a tank means nothing when its a money pit.

Bottom line: If you just want "it'll start and run even if hell freezes over, and it'll never die", don't get a VW. You want something to work on and tinker with, get a VW. I don't care how cheap parts are, working on a car in your driveway in the middle of winter while being late for work isn't exactly fun.

Remember the saying "Theres a right way, a wrong way, and the German way".

Quote Originally Posted by MUD DAWG View Post
    Remember the saying "Theres a right way, a wrong way, and the German way".
    :confused:

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 6 Days 22 Hrs 22 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 35 Secs
    ^ Hahahahah....whos gonna be the first to post Hitler's stolen car video

Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 7 Hrs 32 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min
    had a 96 jetta gli diesel, It was awesome for gas milage but like everyone else says its a pain to fix. i had to do the glow plugs about four times in 6 years. The thing would drive great but it sounded like it was going to fall apart with all the things that rattled. Sold it with 380,000 on the odo.
    1987 yj, 44 front, 9" rear, ramsey winch, 38.5" Boggers
    360ci, BACK IN ACTION
    1996 Grand Cherokee Limited, STOCK .....BOOOOOOOOO

Okay... so as much as the dirt cheap fuel is appealing, the consensus is the same as my gut feelings; Stay Away. As much as I love the idea of filling once every 2 weeks perhaps spending an extra $20 a month is worth not listening to that VW knock.

I was thinking of grabbing a Corolla, as every cheap Civic has been beat on by some kid. I had a Tercel, and it was awesome.

Living out of Jeep between Toronto to Owen Sound
    My Mood
    Tired
    Time Online: 5 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 12 Hrs 46 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 13 Mins 6 Secs
    Corolla is what I would suggest. There are certain years that will fetch more than others but I think most are very good.

I have a close friend and he said the difference in MPG's on the 09 Corolla is 2 more than the 09 diesel jetta. (I have not verified this)

The only problems I had with my corolla was a harmonic balancer that separated. I did drive it for a month before it actually fell off and rust. Usually they will go forever if you have the body oil sprayed.

P.S they can tow over 1500 lbs as well. My friend hauls his Trillium and Boler trailers all over the continent with ease.

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    i like toyotas too.

vee dubs are hard on autos simple to change tho with a seperate differential and with the cam locking tools timing belts are a breaze.

the only other thing is they hate snow!

the front valences fall off all the time when pushed around in snow i have my uncles jetta wired up so he dsnt loose all the small grills when they fall out and the bumper is attached by practicaly nothing.