Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking of a VW diesel for a DD

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs
    I remember my MK2 Turbo diesel from when I was about 17. I was working at GM at the time, and NOBODY would help me fix a cracked exhaust pipe. I got out of a WS6 (Trans Am) and into my car and thought something was wrong. It just wouldn't go. Turns out, I was driving a slug.

Ya, I don't think the diesel idea is for me. Not unless I can find a TDI for a good price. They're reasonably quick still. Automotive electrical doesn't scare me... it's what I do for a living.
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

My Mood
    Blah
    Time Online: 3 Wks 2 Days 5 Hrs 23 Mins 29 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 54 Secs
    MK3 has the aaz which is a good motor, I have one in my sidekick.
    I would however suggest the TDI. MK1V more efficient and easier to work on.
    As for a pain to work on... they are until you realize germans think differently then anyone else. Once you accept that, they are easy. Freds TDI has every possible quirk and how to deal with it easily..
    Can`t beat milage and are easy starting compared to the AAZ in the winter.
    They also look good and have great ride comfort (jetta)

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 1 Hr 45 Mins 3 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 36 Secs
    I did what you're thinking about doing. Except I was driving a full size Gm 4x4. I went to look for a jetta wagon tdi. Knowing nothing about VW's (always gm DD's).

The price of a diesel (even used) was significant enough to make me consider a gasser. After all I was spending $220 /week in fuel to drive my truck to waterdown . Test drove a GTI and was like wow that was the most fun I've ever had behind a 4 banger.

I bought an 03 wagon, the 1.8t was just like the GTI. Factory bilstein suspension and 180 hp turbo. Fun to drive, great handling excellent in the snow. Owned it for 2yrs. 160k

Had some issues in the beginning and was glad I bought from the vw dealer and didn't have to deal with 3rd party warranties. There warranty and service was excellent. they would just fix it.

My truck was paid for but cost $220/ week in fuel.
    My jetta gasser costs me $60/ week sunoco gold used only.+$ 246/month.

The car is so fun to drive, I'd rather drive it than my wife's Yukon and I've always driven trucks.

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 4 Days 20 Hrs 3 Mins 7 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 35 Secs
    Had a 04 civic and a 05 golf tdi . If i was city driving i would take the civic , on the hwy the golf . Both very reliable and cheap to operate .Neither cost me any repairs .Now i have a 2.0 turbo jetta and wish i would have drove the golf to the ground .

Time Online: 8 Hrs 15 Mins 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs
    I looked into getting a VW diesel as well but I came to the realization that my CRV is much more of a car than a Jetta ever will be even despite their insane fuel economy. As jeep guys, I know there is a natural distaste for a Honda SUV but if you're looking for cheap reliable and versatile transportation, I can't say enough about a 1st or 2nd generation CRV (3rd is still a great car but I think its fugly as hell and being 3" lower- doesnt do it for me lol). When it comes down to it, you have everything you get in a Civic- reliability, fuel economy, comfort etc but with a bulletproof AWD system which is just awesome in snow (no electronics, or vaccum systems - all hydromechanical clutching NOT viscous) great cargo room and the ability to carry 5 people confortably. My 1997 automatic averages 9.5L/100km even with oversized tires and a lift, has no rust even after 13 yrs with no oil spraying and has never not started or left me stranded in 335 000 kms. Major repairs aside from consumables like struts, balljoints etc have been replacing the rear U joint on the prop shaft to the rear wheels (one problem area with them after the 10 yr mark), new rad (old one started leaking), CV joints (boots tore), and a wheel bearing. You can find a 1997 for about $2000-$4000 depending on the mileage. In 1999 they boosted the hp from 126 to ~140 but even with the lower power engine it still hauls my boat and sleds with no issues. Just make sure the timing belt (every 105 000 km) and valve adjustment checks (every 50 000 kms to be safe) are up to date because like the VW, if the timing belt goes you're SOL. The B20 engine also has a perculiar quirk where the valves should be checked regularily because rather than loosening, they have a tendency to get tighter. If the valvetrain is not maintained you can end up with burnt valves. Tight valves can first be indicated if the car ever stalls on warm-up like at the first stop sign. If it stalls like this and the CEL light starts flashing valves need attention immediately! Then again, a valve adjustment takes me about 15 minutes - they're dead simple cars to work on and parts are stupidly cheap. (Brand new rear CV shafts from NAPA were $80 each)
    1985 Iltis (standard model), 1985 Iltis (tailgate model), 1990 Skidoo Safari LXE, 2011 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6.

My Mood
    Cynical
    Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 3 Hrs 28 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 41 Secs
    I did Caledonia to Sudbury round trip on a tank of gas once in my Golf TDi.

Just reg maintenance and oil changes, no other problems.

My plan is to put 500+ on it, the body will fall off before the motor will die.

Another alternative if your looking for a commuter car I'd suggest you take a Mini for a scoot. If you can find a "S" on the lot its supercharged and will down right HAUL ASS, handle like a go cart and get pretty good mileage if you can stay of the skinny pedal.
    '05 Rubi, 102" WB, Supercharged 4.0l, 37" MTR's, 14" CO's, Chromos, TerraFlex Swayloc, Currie AntiRock rear, Chevy/Warn 44 Hub Conversion, Stauns, Staang fabbed custom long arms, Tube Fenders & steering.

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Time Online: 1 Wk 1 Day 22 Hrs 13 Mins 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 44 Secs
    A possible alternative to consider is a sentra. Ours was quite good to us.
    Ron
    '05 GMC Highrider ZR2
    OF4WD#5914

Good suggestions guys... thanks! If anyone else has DD tales to tell, please post up. Never really thought of the CRV because I'm looking for a fuel meiser, but 9.5 is a helluva lot better than the 18.5 I burn in stop-and-go traffic.

I drove a TDI today, and it wasn't bad. They're still quite noisy. Sorry, but I won't buy a Nissan until they figure out a regular cooling system. More than once I've had issues with 'em (in the shop). Mini's are too expensive for what they are, and they're buggers to work on. I'm hoping a miracle Civic will pop up. Barring that, I can get a ex-cop car for $1k. Hahaha...

Time Online: 8 Hrs 15 Mins 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs
    Well most of my driving is about 30% city and 70% highway mind you I dont drive like a granny- usually around 120-125 highway. 18.5 is HORRIBLE! lol I feel your pain! Another option for you, and likely my next vehicle is a Toyota Rav4 with the V6. It actually gets better mileage than the 4cyl model but with 239hp its a damn rocket! The only downside is it seems cramped inside compared to the CRV. Oh an for the record- the older, smaller 2 door Rav4s are rumored to be awesome offroad

Anyone have any experience with Grand Prixs? 3.1 or 3.8 (prefered) should get pretty decent fuel while still being large enough to take on the longer trips to see my father (4 hours round trip). I know about the intakes... I've done dozens But mileage?

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 6 Days 23 Hrs 50 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Mins 5 Secs
    ^ You like to do things the hard way, don't you...

Come again? I'm trying to lean away from the German cars (?!)...

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    for you a gm would be great as you dont mind doing starters and alt regularly but fuel economy is defiantly not a strong point on the 60deg or 90 deg v6 in the gm stable.

i would lean towards a 4 popper corolla but price is a issue with those

Time Online: 2 Mths 18 Hrs 57 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 59 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Noltz View Post
    Anyone have any experience with Grand Prixs? 3.1 or 3.8 (prefered) should get pretty decent fuel while still being large enough to take on the longer trips to see my father (4 hours round trip). I know about the intakes... I've done dozens But mileage?
    got a 96 gp.get 450 k a tank ,my 4 runner 300 ,dam 488 gears with 31 in. tires

My Mood
    Blah
    Time Online: 3 Wks 2 Days 5 Hrs 23 Mins 29 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 54 Secs
    I have a 97 2 door 3.1multiport grand am for sale. Red with all the options with 140 000kms. It s got great power and very reliable. As for mileage, its not like a diesel jetta for sure. 55 liter tank 600km ish range dependant on weight of right foot.. $1500

I've got a '94 Regal 3.1 being given to me if I want it. Gotta see if it's worth putting on the road. Owner claims it's getting 14km/L. I've also got a few emails out on 4 cylinder Toyotas.

We'll see. As much as I like the idea of dirt cheap diesels, I just can't afford one that I'd be happy to drive every day for 2 hours.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 3 Days 22 Hrs 3 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 19 Secs

golf

My wife own a 97 golf diesel, on a full tank highway driving it does 950km city driving it does over 800, She only does oil changes on it and brakes, we have been driving it for the past 2 years thinking the car is going to quit but it hasn't yet, they have lots of electrical problem, like interior lights and wiper not working at times, but other than that for gas mileage awesome cars. I never changed a glow plug in my life, watched a video on youtube and within 5 mins i had it changed, not hard to work on vw, just like jeeps you take a part of, you put it back on. In the winter i get awesome heat, i don't feel guilty letting the car idle, because it cost nothing, and in the summer the hotter it is, the better they run.

I have a solid line on a nearly rust free '95 Camry from BC. Going to check it out next weekend. My brother is kicking his finances around to see if he can pick up Fifty's Golf diesel for a runabout. I had a '90 Turbo Diesel Jetta back in '97-98 and it what I saved in fuel it ate in parts. I justified it that I'd eventually replace everything and then it'd be a like-new car that's awesome on fuel, but it just kept breaking new things. Steering pumps, tie rods, glow plugs, batteries, relays, coil springs, lamp circuit boards....

My brother is trying to kick around his finances to get Fifty's diesel golf.

My Mood
    Cool
    Time Online: 3 Mths 4 Days 14 Hrs 20 Mins 13 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 46 Secs
    I bought a 01 corolla new. Put 475 on it before I sold it. $40 to fill and 650K per tank.

10K oil changes were the only maint I ever did to it.
    Professional lunatic
    TJ V3.0 in the works "This is only temporary, unless uhhhh..... it works."
    I get confused once numbers get bigger than I can count on my appendages. I'm only good up to 21!
    one quarter turn before something breaks is a good torque spec.

All of my Toyota's have been amazingly reliable. From my $25 Tercel that got 600 to a tank, to my '97 Runner which I bought BACK after selling, to my off-road truck that had 486,000km on the original EVERYTHING (and ran awesome). The last 5 years, when they moved production out of Japan, the quality control has tanked... but the engineering is still solid. We'll see how this Camry looks.