Thread: Collision sticker information

My Mood
    Bitchy
    Time Online: 3 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 4 Hrs 13 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 8 Mins 40 Secs

Collision sticker information

Ok so having had my first accident 2 weeks ago my car has been sitting in my driveway since. 98 Chevy malibu, the rear driver side door has been crushed in a bit and a bit of the wheel well infront of the rear wheel. Ive managed to get the door off and to my surprise the door took all the impact and did very minor damage to the surrounding area.

Now, I can pick up a new door for dirt cheap... my question is what would I need to do now to drive it again? The police were present at my accident and no sticker was put on my car. I don't know much about this sticker or getting this sticker but im told if I take my car to the collision reporting center at the police station here they'll take a look and is in safe enough shape i'll get a sticker allowing me to drive it.

Correct me if im wrong or please explain how it actually works, because other then the door damage.. theres a little ripple in the metal going from the quarter panel to the roof and im wondering if they'll see that as a safety issue or what? If anything is bad enough to have to be fixed by a body shop or mechanic im just going to scrap the car, otherwise I wouldn't mind exploring my options to have it back on the road for a little while until I find something new.

Thanks guys

pics to relate
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 21843_255778339512_501479512_3112671_806835_n.jpg   21843_255778264512_501479512_3112670_2810891_n.jpg  

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    the sticker is just to tell the police the accident has been reported.
    your by law supposed to report the collision within 48 hours +- unless you got a report from the police on scene

they do not check if the car is safe.

report it
    put a used door from mikes auto wreckers(the chhepest) and back on the road
    Last edited by mud bros.1; 01-22-2010 at 02:22 PM.

My Mood
    Bitchy
    Quote Originally Posted by mud bros.1 View Post
    the sticker is just to tell the police the accident has been reported.

they do not check if the car is safe.
    Good to know, well theres no sticker but the police were there... Anyways now thats settled, how about being able to put it back on the road? Are there any rules or regulations to follow when putting something that has been in an accident back on the road? I mean yea I could call up insurance and put my insurance back on if I slapped a new door on... but it can't be that easy can it?

EDIT - Oh wow thanks, here I am thinking im screwed. Thanks agagain mud!

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    no rules unless insurance wrote it off and you bought it back from them then you would need a structural safety from a body shop.

if you dont go through insurance nobody cares if its safe or not.
    i would have the rear suspention looked at just for your own saftey

unless you get yanked by mto but a few ripples in the body is nothing to worry about.

what happend?
    by the looks of it you have some money owing to you if you were not at fault

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 6 Days 22 Hrs 22 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 37 Secs
    You're missing a few pieces of info. Did you call the insurance company and tell them it was in an accident and you're gonna park it? Or did you say, I have another vehicle, I don't need this for now?

I have the day off and I've been dealing with insurance agents and brokers all day for my stuff. Something interesting I was told. If you call them and start a claim, or tell them about an accident, then later on you decide not to claim it because its not worth it, the claim will still show up on your record. Don't quote me, but thats what I was told. I'll find out later if thats true or not. If its true, thats really effed up. Your rates going up because of a claim you never made.

Did the other guy make a claim?

My Mood
    Bitchy
    I spoke to my insurance company the day of. I wasn't and the insurance place wasn't putting a claim though because I didn't have collision. The lady that hit me has the same insurance place as me so they figured it all out. Basically what the lady at the CRC said to me is that because its been a couple weeks since I had the accident I need to call the officer who did the report and basically get the OK from him or speak with my insurance company and have them give the OK that its not deemed unsafe or whatever and basically i'd be back on the road. Essentially shes saying as long as it falls on somebodys back, like if I was to ever be pulled over in the future... i'd have the OK from the cop or the OK with contact details for someone with my insurance to say my vehicle was alright.

So im just going to throw another door on and call insurance and be on my way.

EDIT - Ok so i have no idea what the lady a the CRC was talking about... insurance wouldn't say yes or do as to how fit the vehicle is. Its up to me.... sooo im going to slap a new door on and be good to go.
    Last edited by True; 01-22-2010 at 02:59 PM.

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs
    1) Put a new door on it
    2) Call your insurance company and say "It's fixed and I'm going to start driving it again"

If the cops were there, then they would have told you if you needed to to go the collision reporting center. The "Reported to police" sticker just shows any cops that happen by that yes, this damage has been reported so don't worry about it.

If you're in any doubt, call the police center and ask. Don't ask questions about legality on a internet forum... talk to the authorities directly. They're there to help you.
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

Time Online: 2 Wks 16 Hrs 57 Mins 59 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 12 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by MUD DAWG View Post
    You're missing a few pieces of info. Did you call the insurance company and tell them it was in an accident and you're gonna park it? Or did you say, I have another vehicle, I don't need this for now?

I have the day off and I've been dealing with insurance agents and brokers all day for my stuff. Something interesting I was told. If you call them and start a claim, or tell them about an accident, then later on you decide not to claim it because its not worth it, the claim will still show up on your record. Don't quote me, but thats what I was told. I'll find out later if thats true or not. If its true, thats really effed up. Your rates going up because of a claim you never made.

Did the other guy make a claim?

this is true and it happend to me..... i decided not to claim because it's not worth it but later on the claim showed up on my records