Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got An Insurance Question? Check here first:

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 6 Days 22 Hrs 22 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 37 Secs
    ^ It could be minor or major savings, it'll depend on your company. Call them up, or check online what happens to your rates when you switch from daily driver to "pleasure" use. There will be restrictions on how many KMs a year its driven. Make sure they give you a multi-line discount, and obviously make sure you shop around.

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs
    It's completely legit - my commuter car is now plated and insured. I'm going to call them and ask, just run down all the scenarios. And find out if I have glass coverage - my '97 ate a rock on the 403 last night
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

Time Online: 1 Day 12 Hrs 49 Mins 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Secs
    This might sound like a strange question but I'm still curious:

Say I have a spare key hidden somewhere on my vehicle, like the ol' behind-the-license-plate trick or in one of those super-magnetic boxes. Pretend a low-life figures that out, gets the key and steals my vehicle. Would that affect my insurance claim? I know insurance companies hate paying out and I'm curious as to how much of a fight they'd put up.

Thanks!
    The happy redhead in the blue TJ singing badly along with the radio? That'd be me.

Stickybongsmoking is offline Yes, this is gawd damn muthafockling CTD NUT.
    Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 42 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 53 Secs
    ^That would be the type of thing I would recommend you do not disclose!
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

Time Online: 5 Mths 3 Days 13 Hrs 31 Mins 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 39 Secs
    >>>I'm asking on behalf of modified vehicles!
    as I only have a 4" lift (only mod)
    does ANYONE know of ANY insurance companies that will insure it???????????<<<

The thing I have to ask on this question. When people say they cannot get insurance for thier modified vehicles, is this with colision or just fire and theft. Does it make a difference.

Unless I own a car/truck that has had a lean on it, I never run colision on them and have never been asked about modification's, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by juicy_fruit_kisses View Post

Say I have a spare key hidden somewhere on my vehicle, like the ol' behind-the-license-plate trick or in one of those super-magnetic boxes. Pretend a low-life figures that out, gets the key and steals my vehicle. Would that affect my insurance claim? I know insurance companies hate paying out and I'm curious as to how much of a fight they'd put up.

Thanks!
    Not a strange question at all, its actually pretty good. I don't know the answer, aside from if they find out, they'll make it difficult on you. A few years ago a friend's car was stolen in a parking lot, and before the insurance company cut the cheque, he had to present both keys to the vehicle to show he had nothing to do with it. If you cut a spare key and leave on the vehicle, make sure its a really good spot and the scums won't find it easily.

I'd think (and its just me thinking out loud) if they steal the car by popping the door lock, and then the ignition, you should be OK even if the cops or insurance company finds a spare key on the car. If the thieves find the key and steal the car, you might be blamed for negligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    The thing I have to ask on this question. When people say they cannot get insurance for thier modified vehicles, is this with colision or just fire and theft. Does it make a difference.

Unless I own a car/truck that has had a lean on it, I never run colision on them and have never been asked about modification's, etc....
    Its neither fire/theft or collision, the answer is liability. In the eyes of an insurance company, even replacing a brand new Ferrari is potentially much cheaper than a million or 2 million dollar law suit. Replacing junk on our piles is absolutely peanuts to them, and they'll gladly cover you. Your concern should be legal liability insurance because if your vehicle is modified and they don't know about it, you basically have no insurance and are on the hook for absolutely everything. Read the last page of the thread bellow, CountryBoy's story is REALLY good to drive the point home.

http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...ight=insurance

BTT....... I added a little bit to the bottom of the first post about house insurance. Please add anything you feel appropriate.

A new little info I recently found about, is that many insurance companies will give you a discount if your mortgage is paid off. So theres a little more incentive to pay off the mortgage, and reason to call your insurance company and ask if you can get that discount.
    OF4WD 5982 & 5983

Time Online: 5 Mths 3 Days 13 Hrs 31 Mins 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 39 Secs
    Hmmm, was going to add something about the mortgage ins. but need to clarify some info first....
    Cigar chomper!

Youth, health and skill are no match for age, experience and treachery

Dana 60's do break when hitting stumps at 60kmh....

Go ahead Tank, its probably good info to have. I did update the thread a while back to talk about mortgage insurance, and how it generally works out in the company's favour. If I don't know the answer, hopefully someone else can chime in if you have a question.

Time Online: 9 Mths 5 Days 19 Hrs 49 Mins 12 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Mins 44 Secs
    This doesn't help auto indusrty rates. lol
    http://cip.iic-iac.org/nmp/showUnder...10&newsStory=2
    97 TJ - The Build
    77 J10 - Death Proof
    11 SRT Challenger with some stuff
    05 Duramax

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Day 19 Hrs 44 Mins 43 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 5 Secs
    So, how much can I expect my car insurance to go up this month?
    "If it's not broke, your not trying"
    -Red Green

2000 TJ, 3.5" RE Superflex lift, 1" coil spacers in front, 35" Mickey Thompson MTZs, 9500lb winch, Super 30/35 front/rear e-lockers, newly re-installed (and straightned) HD Rugged Ridge tierod and draglink

Card carrying member of Team Red. Or would be if we had cards.....

Living out of Jeep between Toronto to Owen Sound
    My Mood
    Tired
    Time Online: 5 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 12 Hrs 46 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 13 Mins 9 Secs
    They said my premiums are going way up.. at first I thought it was the lift mods but they said no

badass tj " Hey bro I would really like 2 grab tht rear end."

Time Online: 5 Mths 19 Hrs 40 Mins 6 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 26 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by MUD DAWG View Post
    Not a strange question at all, its actually pretty good. I don't know the answer, aside from if they find out, they'll make it difficult on you. A few years ago a friend's car was stolen in a parking lot, and before the insurance company cut the cheque, he had to present both keys to the vehicle to show he had nothing to do with it. If you cut a spare key and leave on the vehicle, make sure its a really good spot and the scums won't find it easily.

I'd think (and its just me thinking out loud) if they steal the car by popping the door lock, and then the ignition, you should be OK even if the cops or insurance company finds a spare key on the car. If the thieves find the key and steal the car, you might be blamed for negligence.
    OK, hypothetical question further along the same line: I only have one key for my car. I only got one from the previous owner. What happens then?

If you're going to hide a key in a TJ, duct taping it inside the unfiltered part of the air box works great. You don't need any tools to get at it.

Time Online: 1 Wk 2 Days 16 Hrs 28 Mins 15 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 47 Secs
    My insurance went up another $15/month this year, perfect record, no tickets, no accidents.....nothing......grrrrrrr.
    2008 JK 4 Door Auto w/ 5.13's
    35's Toyo MT Mopar rock rails Mopar Stubby bumper
    OME Long Travel shocks, OME Plus 40 Coils(4.5) JKS ADJ Trackbars JKS Quick discos
    Teraflex ADJ CA's Coast Driveshaft 12k Runva winch, gussets,trussed Much more...
    RETREAD #15

Time Online: 20 Hrs 53 Mins 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Secs
    Speaking of keys.. So our house was robbed last year and they took the spares. We argued with the insurance company to get the dealerships to pay for not just new spare keys but new reprogramming and locks for the cars. That was about $800 per car.
    The agent on the phone said "wait till it's stolen then we'll write you a cheque". So 6 months later, I wake up this morning and the car is stolen. They actually started up the second car (a 2008 Mazda 5) and moved it so they could steal the 2005 Honda Civic. They took the Mazda key with them.

When I contacted the insurance company, they said that there was a 50% chance that they may not pay out due to the fact that I didn't take the proper steps to get the cars re-keyed / re-programmed. WTF was my response. Plus I had to fax them every document EVER that I had for maintenance on the Civic. That's 6 years worth of oil change bills. Luckily my dealership had it all on file.

IF I get paid out, I'll be looking for another insurance company.

so day two.. I call about the rental car and they say that it's not approved until they see if the claim is valid. My budget is $40/day taxes in for a total of $1200 but they say that comes out of my own pocket.

When I become mayor of the World, lawyers and insurance agents will be the first ones to be fed to the Lygers.
    Last edited by mudgts; 03-25-2011 at 09:16 AM. Reason: adding too.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ArmoredFilms.com
    Paint protection film & tint

A friendly reminder.

Go out and take pictures/make inventory of your possessions. Make 3 copies at least. One in the house at a safe place, one at a friend or relative's place, and one in a safety deposit box or online storage site.

God forbid anything happens (fire/theft), you're gonna be too emotional and flustered to think of everything clearly. Not to mention the insurance companies will want to see proof (receipts or pictures). This only takes a few minutes and pretty much free, but it can be absolutely priceless if God forbid you ever need. I've been procrastinating/forgetting this for the last couple of years, but finally got around to it today. Well actually I finished my garage and tools and the battery died on the camera. Priorities first

Time Online: 6 Days 10 Hrs 20 Mins 29 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 31 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by juicy_fruit_kisses View Post

Thanks!
    I know it's been years but too bad !
    About 3-4 winters ago ,my daughters car was giving her issues .The brakes had abs issues ,and the head gasket was leaking .I was not sure I wanted to fix the car ,but she loved the car so it was going to happen .She was in university ,and she got a reading week in January so that was when it was going to happen .It was like -30 ,so I hosed the car off then drove it around to the lane behind the garage to drip and I was going to bring it in the next morning .Next morning ,no car .I call her at work and she said she got a ride from her mom she didn't have the car .Anyway ,I called the police ,told them my story and waited .Next morning 5 a.m. The police call me ,they found the car ,I can pick it up at the tow yard but it had been damaged .I was happy to not do the work on it so it was good with me .I pick up the car ,there was booze bottles all over ,the seats were soaking wet ,there was food wrappers all over ,the drivers door window was smashed and there was a mark on the front bumper .Two punks picked it up ,went riding around,got drunk,then they passed out downtown at a stop light .The police pulled up behind them ,figured out they were asleep ,drunk or whatever ,so they smashed the window ,the car was still in gear ,the drunk woke up and ran into the second cops car that was now parked in front of my car .The keys were in the ignition .Anyways ,we had a third set of keys in the glovebox which the punks found .Because I had two sets of keys at home still that we used ,my $600.00 buick returned a measly $3200.00 from insurance .I had actually forgot I had theft coverage on that car Untill my sister in law asked me and I looked it up .I could not of been happier with how everything turned out ,that was the insurance companies first offer ,and I would of been happy if they gave me $2-300.00 .Anyway ,the extra key thing was no trouble at all .Sorry about the long story !