Thread: Clutch has a "Shudder"

Time Online: 1 Day 23 Hrs 39 Mins 8 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Secs

Clutch has a "Shudder"

I have a 2002 tj. Now right after I bought this thing last year I had to get the tranny rebuilt and a new Luk clutch thrown in. About a month ago 1st thing in the morning, the very first time I engaged the clutch it has a hard time grabbing and kinda shudders and shakes a bit. It is every odd morning and only does it the first time i engage it to drive off in first. Any ideas? Maybe a leak onto the plates?

Time Online: 5 Mths 19 Hrs 40 Mins 6 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 22 Secs
    Maybe moisture?

YA it kinda seems to me like its getting a thin layer of moisture or I dunno if it ever happens maybe a seal can leak right in the right spot to drop in the plate or???? I dunno man, everything else works like a dream and the clutch works like brand new other than that weird shutter once in a while, usually after the jeep sits for over a day.

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 2 Hrs 15 Mins 38 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 4 Secs
    Maybe it could be something else other then the clutch... if you had some fluid leaking onto the clutch (some how oil from output) then you should be able to see it leaking down between the engine and tranny...

My Mood
    Drunk
    Time Online: 1 Wk 22 Hrs 59 Mins 18 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 39 Secs
    moisture/frozen moisture? does it sit in a garage overnight?
    '99 superduty, 7.3L diesel. 4x4, ex cab short box. edge evolution programmer. straight pipe, torque converter lock up switch. single 7" stack, built tranny with some billet bits inside, 7' trac bars, pyro,boost an tranny guages. 4" lift in the front 5" rear. 305 70 16 mickey thompson baja mtz's on m/t classic 2's. now with dana 60 front, 10.5" rear 3:7.3's. 5" airlift bags in the rear.

2002 polaris pro-x 440 with 2004 600 motor. walker evans remotes all the way around.

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    I"ve got a 99 tj 4.0L and i have the same problem. I found that after i replaced the clutch because of a shudder problem(and the fact that it was the original clutch with 280000kms on it), i still had the shudder. The fix for my mine was to remove the flywheel and have it machined. ive rolled over 300000 and havent had a problem since. i don't know if this helps, but thats what fixed mine.

Good luck!
    Why does the needle only point to the "E"????

Ya I had the fly wheel machined when the clutch was replaced. I dunno I'll check for leaks and play it out. It's really not a big deal at all I'm just the kind o guy that little things like this bug the hell outta me lol. Guess If it gets any worst I'll just get it checked out when I get the sye installed. What do they say again, empty all your pockets lol.

Ps wow. 280,000 !!!! I learned how to drive a standard on my jeep and it cost me alot....... Burnt my clutch out at 150000:S trails are not a good place to start out your standard training:S

Time Online: 2 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 11 Hrs 30 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Mins 11 Secs
    I'm wondering if it could maybe be an issue with the hydraulic clutch setup? Like fluid leaking back past the plunger on either the clutch master or slave cylinder causing it to "chatter" as the fluid burps past? Then once things are pumped a couple times and warmed up, seals expand etc. it's going away?

To check for any of the leaks I would have to open it up though eh. I don't think it changes as it warms up though. If it is getting some kind of fluid on it there is litterally only enough on it to get a chatter or 2 n then burn off which also leads me to beleive that it isn't oil because I would think that oil on the plate would last a little longer and take time to burn off it and allow the clutch to function properly again. I'm thinking that if this doesn't clear up i'll open her up, find the issue, and post it up here just for those of you I made curious the thing that also has me thinking is that this started while it was cold so either the temperature has some odd part in this or when it warms up outside if it's a leak I may notice it getting a lil worst due to fluid travelling easier.?.?.?. Time will tell I guess.

Time Online: 9 Mths 5 Days 19 Hrs 58 Mins 19 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Mins 37 Secs
    Doesn't take take much to check your slave and master. Don't really have to "open anything up". Clutch sounds a bit suspect tho. I know my abortion isn't quite as happy in the cold. How long between the clutch change and the shutter problem? My suggestion, go beat on her a little and i bet it smooths out.
    97 TJ - The Build
    77 J10 - Death Proof
    11 SRT Challenger with some stuff
    05 Duramax

Ummmmm. Off the top of my head about 6 months ago the clutch was changed. Now that I think about it the clutch was installed a year ago. I'll bust out the good old jeep mech book then and Chaco the master and slave then just for the he'll of it

Time Online: 2 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 11 Hrs 30 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Mins 11 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt's_97 View Post
    My suggestion, go beat on her a little and i bet it smooths out.
    He lives by his words, i've seen this method work. (Temporarily anyway)

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 37 Secs
    Chatter/shuddering can be caused by a glazed flywheel, contaminated clutch, or both. Same as brakes. If you can deal with it until spring, you can pull the transmission and have a proper look when it warms up.

Up side is you can't really cause any "more" damage to it. Worst case scenario is you're into a clutch and machine job again.
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

Time Online: 3 Days 1 Hr 44 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 15 Secs
    i had the same problem . i replaced my slave and it went away . when the slave starts leaking it puts brake fluid on the clutch . thats my 2 cents on this
    if i wanted a hummer i would call your girlfriend!

Time Online: 4 Days 8 Hrs 24 Mins 22 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 21 Secs
    unless you did the clutch yourself the shop should've machined the flywheel/pressure plate, standard practice to even out the wear between the new plate and clutch. Pull it apart and re-do it right yourself or get the shop to.