Thread: Tire Pressure

Time Online: 18 Hrs 20 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Secs

Tire Pressure

I seem to lose 1 PSI of tire pressure for every degree below 0. This happens to all 4 tires especially the front set. On cold nights when it is -20 the tires go nearly flat. When the weather is warm the tire will maintain pressure for weeks.

The rims are aluminum and the tires have about 80,000km on them with plenty of tread. Any solutions to this, other than me putting air in every morning?
    Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeeps cover the rest.

Time Online: 1 Wk 2 Days 14 Hrs 42 Mins 56 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 47 Secs
    Cold air is more dense therefor the tires seem to loose pressure. BUT there is probably another problem here because they shouldnt drop that much. Aluminum rims oxidize and cause rims leaks. You should have them checked. Also check for a loose valve core.

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs
    ^^ correct. The colder air causes the captured air within the tire to shrink (increase in density, decrease in volume). But that should be only 1 psi for every 6 or 7. Me thinks you have corrosion on the lip of the aluminum rim. When warm, the tires are more pliable and are conforming around that corrosion. When cold you lose that pliability and the temp drop causes a pressure drop, which reduces the force applied to the bead against the rim.

I think if you have the tires dismounted, rims cleaned and sealed, you'd be all set for a couple seasons. Unfortunately once aluminum rims lose their clearcoat, they'll oxidize every 2 or 3 years and need to be recleaned.
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

Time Online: 4 Days 8 Hrs 24 Mins 22 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 21 Secs
    The tires shouldn't lose pressure that much. Get the rims sealed wher they meet the bead and have the cores checked both inside and out.

Time Online: 5 Days 12 Hrs 40 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 27 Secs
    if the tires are coming off the rims just put new valve stems in them it is the only true way to do it.

Time Online: 18 Hrs 20 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Secs
    Thanks for all the feedback