Thread: Someone please school me on sntach block

My Mood
    Cynical
    Time Online: 3 Wks 3 Days 6 Hrs 38 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 59 Secs

Someone please school me on sntach block

I kind of understand them.. I know they double your pulling
    however what i would like to know is the physics behind it?

How does it affect the winch (will it work the winch harder (higher chance of burn out)
    whats the pros and cons of using one?
    when is the best time to use it? when is it not a good time to use it?
    Jeeps, Bitches and Guns... Nuf Said

My Mood
    Amused
    Time Online: 2 Mths 11 Hrs 48 Mins 38 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 58 Secs
    Doubles the pulling power

The only negative effect is it cuts the line speed in half when doubled back to the truck. I always try to use one whenever possible as it puts less stress on the winch.
    Poster does not represent or warrant the the information accessible via this post is accurate or complete. Except as specifically stated on this post, neither rbjeepthing nor any of his affiliates, will be liable for damages arising out of or in connection with the use of this post.

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 2 Days 12 Hrs 45 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 24 Secs
    Here is some info on how they work
    http://www.howstuffworks.com/pulley.htm

I recommend using a snatch block as much as possible to reduce the strain on your winch and power draw on your electrical system

Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 6 Hrs 18 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 49 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by PHREAKGEEK View Post
    I kind of understand them.. I know they double your pulling

1) however what i would like to know is the physics behind it? - The winch has to reel in twice as much cable to cover the same distant as when single lined; line speed is cut in half and pulling power is doubled.

2) How does it affect the winch (will it work the winch harder (higher chance of burn out) - Load is reduced at the winch; pulling time may be longer but at a much lower amperge for a given load. No discernable adverse affects to the winch when double lined.

3) whats the pros and cons of using one? - Double line pull requires twice as much cable to cover the same distance and line speed can be greatly reduced. You are also pretty much limited to straight or close to straight pulls when blocked. Plus, using a block to double line eliminates the option of using the block to pull on compound angles.

4) when is the best time to use it? - When the winch is out of steam; when you simply need more pulling power than what the winch can offer single lined.

5) when is it not a good time to use it? - Whenever the additional pulling power is not necessary, when high line speed is desired, when pulling at an angle, when using the block for pulling a compound angle.
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

My Mood
    Cynical
    thanks for the info guys

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 1 Day 1 Hr 19 Mins 2 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 42 Secs
    They are also good for maximizing the winches pulling power. If you only spool out 20' of cable the winch has a higher effective gear ratio because the drum diameter is larger and therefore reducing pulling power. If you spool out double the cable to 40' you get down another layer on the drum making it smaller and better pulling power.

With my 8274 it has 150' of cable and 8000lbs of pulling power but it i pretty fast. If I double the line I can reach 75' while pulling 16,000lbs and cut the speed in half. Believe it or not, it is still faster than a warn 15,000 lb winch which only has 80' of cable on it.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 2 Wks 2 Days 10 Hrs 10 Mins 17 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 21 Secs
    They can do a bunch of other things as well,
    You can get a three to one pull ration with 2 blocks, even with a 8000lb winch you can pull just about anything with two blocks. Each line that shrinks while you are pulling is the equivalent to the winch out put. Unless you have incredibly good blocks and a really long cable though anything above a three to one is not much good.
    If set up properly the will divide the force of the pull equally between two points, if you have to pull hard this is a little easier on the frame.
    and they can also be used for an indirect pull, say some one is stuck in a big mud hole around a corner and you dont want to be in the hole while pulling, you can use a tree as an anchor point for the block and pull that way instead of straight on.

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 6 Days 22 Hrs 22 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 35 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    .....and they can also be used for an indirect pull, say some one is stuck in a big mud hole around a corner and you dont want to be in the hole while pulling, you can use a tree as an anchor point for the block and pull that way instead of straight on.

Thats about the only time I've had to use a block on my 8274. My buggy's rear winch is a small 2,000 lber, so to compress the coils far enough I have to use a snatch block.

Phreak: Make sure you get a block rated for at least your winch's power and your cable size.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 1 Day 1 Hr 19 Mins 2 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 42 Secs
    For the times that 75' and 16,000lbs isn't enough I cary a 50'x3/8" amsteel blue extension that is rated for 17,600lbs and two snatch blocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp2qG...1ECB71&index=7
    Last edited by Chrisbuilt; 02-08-2010 at 01:58 PM.

My Mood
    Confused
    Time Online: 2 Yrs 1 Mth 3 Wks 3 Days 21 Hrs 34 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Hr 4 Mins 32 Secs
    what they say here works, great info here..having done heavy recovery on transport trucks and trailers this is the best way to reduce the load you are trying to recover
    http://www.youtube.com/user/piratexpress1369a
    96 ZJ 4.0L 33x15 BFG'S

OF4WD#5926

http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...sket+placement

IN LOVING MEMORY ..DAYKOTA
    PIRATES NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT HIS BOAT..

My Mood
    Cynical
    With all this info

I was always under the impression that a over powered winch is better then a under powered winch
    IE spend the money for a 12000 and not waste your time on a 8000 (this is based on Jeep) not a full size rig

So what would be best for your buck..
    8000lb with properly rate block and cable
    or 12000

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 6 Days 22 Hrs 22 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 35 Secs
    8, carry a block, don't wheel alone, and don't try to pull big rigs with your winch.

My Mood
    Devilish
    Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Day 17 Hrs 10 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 17 Secs
    12000 is great if you can fit it somewhere and have extra stiff front suspension to offset the weight.
    i would look for a 9000 series or the old 8724.

Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 6 Hrs 18 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 49 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by PHREAKGEEK View Post
    With all this info

I was always under the impression that a over powered winch is better then a under powered winch
    IE spend the money for a 12000 and not waste your time on a 8000 (this is based on Jeep) not a full size rig

So what would be best for your buck..
    8000lb with properly rate block and cable
    or 12000
    For heavy duty use, your theory about ratings applies.....but....

A lot depends on the intended use of the winch. For self recovery, a higher line speed is often very helpful so that you don't easily over run your cable when driving and winching to extract yourself. A high quality, high speed, 8 or 9K winch works awesome on most jeeps. A 12K winch is considerably slower, is heavier and more expensive. For most of us, when we need our winch, it is not for absolute max pulling power and a good 8 or 9K fits the bill well. A 12K will typically be overkill in most situations and will result in way more cons than pros. I prefer a quality 8 or 9K and on the rare occasion when you have a VERY heavy pull, break out the block and double line it. I think you will find for the majority of the usage on a jeep, this combo offers the highest performance with the most versatility.

A 12K is a great winch on a heavy full size or when you have to be the winch master and are frequently in situations where you are pulling others out....especially if the others are larger, heavier vehicles.