Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 35s on a tj with.....

Time Online: 1 Day 23 Hrs 39 Mins 8 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Secs

35s on a tj with.....

OK, I have a 4.0L 2002 tj and just installed a 4" rough country long arm kit with a "new" d30 and 35 with 4.10s.

I am currently on the market for the proper 33x12.5x15s that the kit and 4.10s call for.

The question is what would I be getting myself into if I decided to go the extra mile and get 35x12.5x16s???

pretty much everything in the kit is adjustable so Im not worried about that but.....

What is the consequences of running 35s on a d30-d35
    Will The loss of power be standable since 35s call for 4.56 gears
    Would a 1.25 IN body lift give me the extra clearance I need at the lowest price since I would have to install the sye if I upgrade to the 6" springs

Its alot of cash for new tires and I want big but if its gonna effect my ride too much I will stick with the 33 plan.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 6 Mths 2 Wks 9 Hrs 24 Mins 38 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 16 Mins 1 Sec
    wait for it

ya

Enjoy your "adjustable kit"

You have what gears now?

You likely need a SYE now
    Last edited by Reverage; 02-04-2010 at 09:01 PM.

AAAAAAHAHAHAHA

I knew that was coming.

Why "adjustable kit"
    It says 4.10s
    And maybe I do but well see monday if I can get my angles right.
    Last edited by exoticempire; 02-04-2010 at 09:05 PM.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Quote Originally Posted by exoticempire View Post
    AAAAAAHAHAHAHA

I knew that was coming.
    Then what was it you where asking for?

nm on gears i re read haha

Well Im curious if breaking axles on the 35 can be avoided by taking it easy, what the power loss would be like, and if they would even fit comfortably on the jeep. I was just reading through the forums and see people saying you can throw 33s on a jeep with a 2`budget boost and I just dropped alot of parts and work into my jeep for the same. Even though mine is done right and I love the way it looks now. I guess if I was to throw on 35s I should be waiting going to pick up an 8.8 or d44 rear for a project eh.
    Last edited by exoticempire; 02-04-2010 at 09:17 PM.

Time Online: 2 Wks 5 Days 4 Hrs 8 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 34 Secs
    I had 35's with D30/D35's and 4.10. I tore it up!!! Went to MOAB twice and Rausch creek!!! Never had a problem!!

Actually, i am full of shiat! lol
    Can you do it? Sure. But just think.... You are out there on the trails, with your setup, buddy tries something and you want to as well.... But.... Something tells you not to for fear of breaking something in the axle(s). That's the way it would be... All the time. Not worth it. Try it out with 33's for a season. It'll give you some time to truly get a feel for it and determine what you REALLY want/need.

Good Luck.
    RIP OD, YOU'LL BE MISSED.... BUT that's OK 'cuz you've been REPLACED !!!

That there is some good advise Thanks guys and I will just pick up some 33s and make my axle upgrades next winters project!

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    sounds like a smart plan.

bolth d30 and 35 are unreliable on the stock tires.

i know lots of ppl run them hard including myself and they work well but if your not the kinda guy who can change u joints in the mud with a rock and a hammer then you shouldnt run them hard just get dynatrac 60s to fit the tj and be done with it for the life of the jeep.

but they cost around 7000

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ_HOOKER View Post
    look around for a ford 8.8. there are lots around. there are a few on here for a tj already, or at least there was. either that, or, get a cherokee d44, and have it fabbed for a TJ. either way, your bolt pattern will match the front. d30 in the front will be ok on 35's, just don't put a locker in it. you will need to re-gear for sure, and, a 4"kit in a tj, is not enough lift to properly clear 35's on it's own. if you don't disconnect, you may be ok, but long arms and 4" coils? kinda redundant to begin with. anything over 4" you will need a cv shaft for the rear as well.
    Be careful listening to the "need lottsa lift guys"

There are TJ's out there on 3.5 inches of lift with 37's that work great

Why they make 5+ inch lift kits baffles me for TJ's

a 3 to 5 inch LA setup is the shit setup properly for what I see around here

Living out of Jeep between Toronto to Owen Sound
    My Mood
    Tired
    Time Online: 5 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 12 Hrs 46 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 13 Mins 9 Secs
    2 questions... What engine and do you offroad your jeep?

If your jeep is strictly a mall crawler you can likely get away with 35's.

If you have a 4L and 4:10's its probably liveable. If its the 2.5 I would not even run 32's on the street, that said your axles may survive longer off road due to the lack of power.

I believe anything over a 2.5 lift would likely required a SYE

My Mood
    Stressed
    Time Online: 3 Mths 3 Wks 2 Days 13 Hrs 12 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Mins 21 Secs
    I do agree with what is being said here about the rear diff. The D35 is just too weak, period. I ran it in a YJ Locked on 35's with a 4.0L and 4:10's, and was
    extremly lucky that it did not break.
    I have seen people with 31's and no locker break these shafts.
    Now as far as the gearing goes, 4:10's are fine with a 4.0L and 35's.
    Yes you will have some people saying "those gears are shit, you need 4:88 minimum with 35's". It's just not true.
    I currently run 35's with 4:10's in a 97 XJ, (wich is heavier that your TJ) and the power is not a problem, I get into 5th gear on the highway with out a problem and still have lots of extra.
    Now on the other hand I have heard that the gearing in an automatic transmission is not as good as the standard, and lower gears are normally run in this case (4:56 or 4:88's)

I would say invest the money in the Ford 8.8 and have some fun!!
    #20OF4WD#3476

"Will roll over for treats"

97 XJ on 36's (with a few mods)

Time Online: 1 Wk 23 Hrs 54 Mins 50 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 39 Secs
    you know what you need.....a V8...and do i have the engine for you..lol
    throw me a om sometime mudbro
    92 4.0L HO (sold dwnpmt on a new car for teh wife AFTER OLY HAVING ON THE ROAD FOR 3 WEEKs!!!!!!!!!!!! wow that felt good
    1979 CJ-5 ;ifted with 33's ford 302 4 spd
    I'd ask you to step away from the welder, but it might do the world some good if you clamp the ground electrode to your big toe, put the MIG handle to your temple and pull the trigger.

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Days 17 Hrs 46 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 7 Secs
    Personally I say 35's are doable on a D30/35 combo. I run them with a locked D35. But plan for the worst. Carry spare shafts whenever you are running. (I have a spare set for sale)

I had a buddy running 35's on his TJ with 3.5" RE and a 1" body. did very well.

I would also suggest the spare parts even if you are running 33's.

good luck.
    My latest project... Collection of Parts

Other stuff... Building a doubler, D300 Flip kit

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman 94 xj View Post
    "Coil springs are for ballpoint pens and pogo sticks".
    ебут раком

Time Online: 5 Days 19 Hrs 2 Mins 13 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 28 Secs
    I run 35x15x15 Bias ply TSL's. Not a light tire at all, super 35 rear kit and i beat it hard. Havent had a problem. 4'' Super lift susp, nothing has broken yet, and dont expect it too.

The only thing the big heavy tire really affect, front hub bearings on the D30. iv gone through 2 sets in a year. And the brakes dont work nearly as good as there supposed to.
    love my 2.5

Time Online: 2 Days 10 Hrs 12 Mins 8 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Secs
    I'm getting my 35" tires this summer hopefully(running 32's up till this point).

By then my heep will include a D30/35 w/ 4.10's and 2002 4.0L. My front 30 is aussie-locked and my rear is still open. I have a super kit with detroit on standby. I won't be throwing that in until I truss the 35. At which point I doubt I'll have any 'immediate' issues, but Murphy is cunning sonova bitch and always seems to lurk his ugly face in-behind in the most unexpected of places. Tis why I'll have spare 30 spline shafts with me

PERSONALLY - I'd be extra leery of running 35" with a stock unmodified dana35. That's me saying that who avoids getting throttle happy unless it's absolutely necessary.
    I've seen a locked dana35 shaft sheer in half without any throttle bliss whatsoever - his YJ was just in the perfect angle (max axle travel in opposing angles) and as soon as he let go some gas, the axle shaft just gave. Mind you, by not having it locked, your 35 will live longer..

....just pitching my .02
    -Marco
    98 TJ SE Apex
    2010 JKU-S

M i k e oOI I I I I I IOo N o v e m b e r
    The infantry is challenging. Both mentally, and physically. To do this kind of work you must appreciate being mentally and physically challenged.

12/04/2010 - Black 2010 JKU-S Order Placed
    21/04/2010 - VN Created
    04/04/2010 - Build Sched, Rail # assg
    15/05/2010 - Recd - 17km ODO

Time Online: 1 Mth 5 Days 7 Hrs 42 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 54 Secs
    I have destroyed 2 D35 rear ends over the last 3 years running 32s and 33s. Both breaks have happened on the street. No axle shaft snapping, just differential gears dieing.

Is the 4" long arm kit from rough country the one that bolts on to the underside of the frame rails? If so I would want 35s to clear the control arm mounts from getting hung up on rocks. This would be less of an issue if its just gonna be a mall crawler/ mud truck.
    05 LJ Rubi on MTZ 285/75/16

Go Ahead. Get Dirty.

Time Online: 1 Mth 5 Days 7 Hrs 42 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 54 Secs
    double post
    Last edited by STP743; 02-23-2010 at 08:50 AM.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 6 Days 18 Hrs 37 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 11 Secs
    CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!
    DINGA DING DANG, MY DANGA LONG LING LONG
    OF4WD#5576
    BOOYAH!!!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Oh that poor horse

Time Online: 5 Mths 19 Hrs 40 Mins 6 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 26 Secs
    I think you would be fine, I have 33's and 4.10 gearing now, and was thinking the same thing.

Here's the catch - you have to do a little tire research. Right now I have Goodyear MTR-Kevlars, and in a 33" tire they're 61 lbs each. That's the weight of a lot of 35's out there, so if you could find a lighter 35 (either an AT, or just a lighter MT with less material in the sidewalls) you might be just fine going that way. When it comes to tires two things seem to have an effect on axle shaft longevity - weight and size. If you're going to increase size, it would be prudent to decrease weight.

Examples of 35's that are lighter or equal to my 33" MTR-K's in a 35x12.5 R15:
    BFG AT KO's 54 lbs
    BFG MT KM2's 61 lbs

Replacing steelies with aluminum rims (in my case comparing a set of Pro Comp Rockcrusher steelies and Dick Cepek DC-1 wheels) also saved me 10 lbs a wheel. I think the weight is a very crucial factor when it comes to breakage, because all of that weight around the outside of the wheel stores a lot of energy once it's spinning and must wind up the azle shafts as it loads/unloads.

As it stands, I went to Yukon shafts in my rear axle, and run a limited slip. Is it a compromise? Yes, but I'm not afraid of it either.