Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 92 YJ Nightmare!!!

Time Online: 5 Days 19 Hrs 2 Mins 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 28 Secs

92 YJ Nightmare!!!

I bought this 92 yj that i thought was in good shape. I checked over the frame there was only one small hole by the fuel filter "skidplate" and I knew the tub was rusted but i didnt think it was that bad. So i bought the and drove it home. I started working on it. After i started digging it went down hill really quickly. I found out the floor was gone someone put down newspaper to hide it, the date on it was 2005, the side of the jeep was covered in bondo. I pulled off enough bondo just in the floor to do the jeep twice. The guy who had it before sent it to one of his friends. The guy he sent it to just pride the mudflaps away from the tub and pushed bondo behind them. It was crazy so i decided to buy a better tub so when i pulled it off I was playing with the rear of the frame and found the whole rear was gone. So i made a few new peices lastnight and welded them in to place. I had to go and buy a good used winsheld frame to because someone covered the rust holes with fiberglass and bondo as same as the rear corners of the tub. I also tried changing the tires, one of the wheel nuts striped and one just broke off the octagon part where the socket fits on so just the tapered end was left on so i took a grinder and cut the rim into pieces and broke it off with a coal chisel. This thing is a never ending nightmare I hope to have the tub on by Saturday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF8778.jpg   DSCF8720.jpg   DSCF8728.jpg   DSCF8753.jpg   DSCF8785.jpg  

My Mood
    Happy
    Time Online: 3 Mths 2 Days 4 Hrs 14 Mins 38 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 36 Secs
    Looks good! crappy luck though, sounds like my jeep when i got it lol except my tub wasnt that bad... only thing i would sujest with the peice of frame your welding in, cut it like a v and then weld it on, the straight welds are more likely to break, do some searching on this site, there has been alot of people do that spot and you can see how they have done it

but definatly looking good and keep the pictures coming
    If its a mechanical device i can fix it

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 23 Hrs 45 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 4 Secs
    I feel your pain. I bought a nice little 94 YJ and after a lot of research, I thought I found a good solid specimen. Turns out every thing I touched had been mickey moused to death, and that there was a curse on the Jeep.

I am SOOoooooo glad it's gone.

If I was a Jeep, they'd have parted me out a LONG time ago.

I'm a proud member of SOXJA ask me why!

Krawlerz team member too!

OF4WD Member # 5027

92 YJ Nightmare

Heres some more pics of the jeep when i took off the tub and the new pieces i welded in. The back of the blue tub is original corners. It is in amazing shape the only thing it needs is a driver floor pan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF8731.jpg   DSCF8732.jpg   DSCF8791.jpg   DSCF8789.jpg   DSCF8733.jpg  

DSCF8795.jpg  

92 YJ Nightmare

Here is some pics of the new back piece for the bumper wheel mount and a piece i welded in for the frame by the fuel filter skidplate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF8796.jpg   DSCF8798.jpg   DSCF8802.jpg   DSCF8800.jpg   DSCF8801.jpg  

92 YJ nightmare update

Sry it took so long I have finally got the tub mocked up. It finally looks like a Jeep.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF8805.jpg   DSCF8803.jpg   DSCF8804.jpg   DSCF8809.jpg   DSCF8806.jpg  

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    Sounds like your in the same boat as me! I'm doing a frame off build up on an 88 YJ. Ive swapped in a new driveline with lift and did a full restore on Chassis. Now starting the body repairs. I have 3 major holes to fix. and the rest is original and in good shape, just fadded paint.

Did you have holes or weak spots below the roll bar area? Mine needs some major TLC there. What gauge sheet metal do you plan to use?

Time Online: 6 Days 14 Hrs 31 Mins 59 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 32 Secs
    Nice job ,
    Member of LAJOC. www.londonjeepclub.org

Time Online: 3 Mths 1 Wk 3 Days 13 Hrs 42 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 8 Mins 17 Secs
    nice to see your progress. it sure sucks when it seems you are replacing every part you take off, but at least you will know your truck inside, and out, and you can actually say you "built" it.
    currently building a toyota. i'm sorry.

Ya under the rollbar there was a hole on each side about 2' round. I plan on using 14 gauge under the rollbar and a liitle bit small on the rest of the body work I cant remember right now what gauge im using on the rest of the body I will find out and let you know.

Update

I mounted the tub on a few mounts. I made some aluminum 2' lift blocks for a body lift I pulled the old wiring harness out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF8814.jpg   DSCF8821.jpg   DSCF8829.jpg   DSCF8819.jpg   DSCF8816.jpg  

Time Online: 3 Wks 6 Days 4 Hrs 50 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 14 Secs
    lol i bought the 94 yj from jphoenix. im fixing it to sell, to help me fund my build. its not thatbad for me to work on, just put a rad in, it runs great. i say not that bad because i have my buddy dealling with all the wiring, wich is a nightmare. guess i got lucky with mine as the frame isnt bad at all.

the tub looks better than the 90 i have for parts. the damn floor is gone and the fenders are in a couple pieces.

nice frame work.
    little something im doing to all of my brake lines, im putting in all new ones and im putting on heat shrink to make them last.
    85 grand wagoneer
    1990 xj from florida, lifted 6 inches
    with custom front and back bumpers
    and roof rack
    found stolen and burned
    77 cj 5 building ground up

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 23 Hrs 45 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 4 Secs
    Mudy - I do hope things go better for you than they did for me with that Jeep. Me, I'm just glad it's gone. (I hate electrical work! *L*)

Update

I havent been able to get pictures on lately so I will put down the just of it. This tub had alot more rust than I thought. I got the floors done and the sides done, got the gas tank back into place and found out the dash was all rotted out so I disassembled it and found a better one, wirewheeled and painted it flat black tonight and i found out the rears corners where all bondo so now I have to replace the rear corners.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF8879.jpg   DSCF8909.jpg   DSCF8880.jpg   DSCF8922.jpg   DSCF8913.jpg  

Last edited by greyman441; 04-02-2010 at 11:25 PM.

Update

ITS ALIVE!!! or running at least. Dropped a battery in it and it started great. No smoke, flames or crazy noises. Got the driver floor finished. One of the rear corners done and the rollbar back into place. Im starting to work on the windshield frame to get it finished and over with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF9028.jpg   DSCF9008.jpg   DSCF9011.jpg   DSCF9004.jpg   DSCF9021.jpg  

Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Day 7 Hrs 59 Mins 52 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 15 Secs
    You're doing what all of us with a yj wishes we were doing... nice work!

Time Online: 12 Hrs 53 Mins 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by 95Sahara View Post
    You're doing what all of us with a yj wishes we were doing... nice work!
    No kidding. I'll have to get notes off you because I'm doing similar work.
    Former: 2001 Dodge Durango, SLT+, AWD, 5.9L V8. Leather and fully loaded. 15inch sub, bored TB, old school air intake, tail pipe.

Haven't really done anything on the jeep lately, had such great whether I couldn't spend it in the garage. Think I am going to start back up tonight. I need to get it out of the garage or at least able to sit outside. I will make sure to keep the pictures coming.

Got the interior back in and the dash back together. Floor is all painted and looks good. I cut out behind the windshield brackets as it was rotted out. Got new panels welded back in. Going to get the windshield mounted tommorow and I am getting some bondo layed down on the sides and over the windshield mounts. I will post more pics tommorow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF4502.jpg   DSCF4497.jpg   DSCF4498.jpg   DSCF4499.jpg   DSCF4501.jpg  

Last edited by greyman441; 07-21-2011 at 11:00 PM.

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Days 17 Hrs 46 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 7 Secs
    Nice work.... its nice to see this type of workmanship go into a YJ. Keep it up.
    My latest project... Collection of Parts

Other stuff... Building a doubler, D300 Flip kit

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman 94 xj View Post
    "Coil springs are for ballpoint pens and pogo sticks".
    ебут раком