Thread: hyundai accent starting problem

My Mood
    Happy
    Time Online: 3 Mths 2 Days 4 Hrs 14 Mins 38 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 36 Secs

hyundai accent starting problem

ok my cousin texted me today, her car sometimes doesnt want to start, if she puts the accelerator to the floor it will start? i guess the engine light is on so im gonna read the codes but anyone have any insight as to what would do this?
    If its a mechanical device i can fix it

Time Online: 4 Days 8 Hrs 24 Mins 22 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 21 Secs
    year? If its injected there may be an issue with the throttle position sensor.

My Mood
    Happy
    its an 02 sorry i forgot to put that in... i was thinking that myself... would that throw a code?

Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Hr 26 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 9 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by markr1001 View Post
    its an 02 sorry i forgot to put that in... i was thinking that myself... would that throw a code?
    That car has an OBD2 system, so instead of guessing, check the diagnostic codes first.

Here's a hyundai site where you might get more info for a specific model. Also, check the hyundai service site described there - you can get the FSM info there.

My Mood
    Happy
    awesome thanx alfons, yes i will definatly read the codes b4 i start throwing parts at it

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs
    About 200 things can throw a code. Pull it, post the number and we'll go from there.

Common issues that require a floored pedal to start are coolant temp sensor and throttle position sensor. Flooring the pedal goes to flood-clear mode. I'm wondering why (if!) it's flooding.
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

My Mood
    Happy
    well there was only one code... P0112

My Mood
    Cool
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 1 Day 7 Hrs 51 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 44 Secs
    Mitchell says P0112 is
    Intake air temp circut low input
    They call me Monkey cause I'm the silver back of the bunch
    87 XJ Lifted with stuff(Zombie Apocalypse Edition)
    87 YJ Lifted with stuff(Wifes)Mall Edition
    99 Ram Toy Hauler Edition
    OF4WD Member 5275 www.4-lo.ca

My Mood
    Happy
    ya is it possible it is almost choking it self out thinking its got cold air even when it doesnt need to?

My Mood
    Happy
    i have a code reader but need a way to check the mass air flow sensor, from what i understand it has a temperature sensor built in and thats what is giving the code... any ideas i have both anolog and digital meters

My Mood
    Happy
    i looked on mitchell and seen that too

Is the temp sensor built into the Mass Air Flow sensor for sure? The low circuit could be shorting onto the MAF signal, which DEFINATELY would cause problems.

Most GM's can run with the MAF unplugged. Perhaps Hyundai's too? I might try unplugging yours with the engine already running - see if the programming can take over and keep the engine going. If yes, shut down and allow to cold-soak overnight. Try again in the AM. If it starts up immediately, you be certain the MAF is giving incorrect readings. MAF readings being out of whack will NOT set a code in most cases. It just won't start.

My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by Noltz View Post
    Is the temp sensor built into the Mass Air Flow sensor for sure? The low circuit could be shorting onto the MAF signal, which DEFINATELY would cause problems.

from what i read it is

Most GM's can run with the MAF unplugged. Perhaps Hyundai's too? I might try unplugging yours with the engine already running - see if the programming can take over and keep the engine going. If yes, shut down and allow to cold-soak overnight. Try again in the AM. If it starts up immediately, you be certain the MAF is giving incorrect readings. MAF readings being out of whack will NOT set a code in most cases. It just won't start.
    what do you mean cold soak? just let the car get cold? sounds like a good quick check that is pretty easy to do, i will pass this on to her dad and see if he wants to try it...

Sorry, ya. Cold soak means 6+ hours outside. Engine completely cooled down.

My Mood
    Happy
    gonna try and do a fuel pressure tesst on it, as my uncle thinks it might be a weak fuel pump... i cant seem to find at pressure spot on the fuel rail that i have seen on my Gm stuff... any ideas? this i will go on to test the above mentioned stuff

The Accent doesn't have a place to attach a fuel pressure gauge, there are some special tools/adapters that bolt onto the fuel system that allow you to add a gauge. In addition, there's no schrader valve to release the fuel line pressure - you need to disconnect the power to the fuel pump and start the car, letting it run until it stops.

What you really need is the Fuel System section of the manual - this will give you the entire layout of the system, including all the sensors & some of their test procedures. It also shows you what the fuel system adapters look like and where they bolt onto. This information is available on the Hyundai Service Website, but you need to set up a free account there for yourself. If you can't get to this, I have a digital (pdf format) copy of the whole manual divided into the separate sections and could burn a CD for you with everything if you could pick it up in Mississauga sometime - the Fuel Section by itself is about 23,000 Kb which is too large an attachment to send to most email accounts.

The Mass Air Flow sensor trouble code you have should have lit the CEL (or MIL - malfunction indicator light as Hyundai called it). If the light is OFF, the problem should no longer be sensed - the code remains for 40 starts and is automatically erased if the fault doesn't recur.

Time Online: 22 Hrs 54 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Secs
    change the maf sensor

My Mood
    Happy
    so i called my unlce and told him, i couldnt easily do the pressure test did he want me to test the maf sensor, he said he was gonna take it to a garage, as he didnt wanna throw parts at it and it not be the problem... i dont know what it cost him but they replaced the maf sensor and problem is fixed lol it bugs me cause i had time spent on trouble shooting and i knew what the problem was and it ended up going to the garage and them replacing it and charging for it... im gonna try and find out what it cost lol