Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CJ Spring Clean Up

Time Online: 4 Days 12 Hrs 33 Mins 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Secs

CJ Spring Clean Up

This may not be of interest to anyone as what I plan on doing is nothing major but over the next month or so I will be doing some small repairs and upgrades to the ol CJ.

I am not a gear head by any means and am learning as I go but I love the JEEP brand and the culture that comes with it. Because of that I am trying to keep my 77 in as good as shape as possible. We plan on having kids down the road, and I dont think anything would be cooler then to one day pass the keys over to my oldest boy.

I picked it up last year and the body and frame are mint. The previous owner had installed an AMC 360 but some things need to be updated/replaced/fixed/tuned....you know the drill.

Here is a list of tasks I hope to accomplish:

- Install new(used) YJ steering gear box and p/s pump
    - Install new Trailmaster SS Shocks and Trailmaster SS Dual Steering Stabalizer
    - Install new 2" body lift (currently has an NHL lift - Pucks)
    - Install new (used) YJ brake booster and master cylinder
    - Take out seats and bed line/rocker guard the tub
    - Install 2 new driver and passenger OEM lap belts
    - Install new centre console (Rugged Ridge)
    - Remove orginal dash and replace with custom dash panel
    - Install new stainless center gauge cluster plate
    - Install new dash indicator lights
    - Replace faded front turn markers
    - Replace new windshield/cowel weather stripping
    - Paint roll bar
    - Intall new HEI Distributor along with plugs/wires and adjust timing issues
    - Oil change and new filter
    - Paint fender flairs (Krylon Fusion Plastic Paint)
    - Replace lower transfer case gasket

Last Year (Bought Jeep in July)

- Installed custom dual 2 1/2" exhaust
    - Brake lines front to back

A lot of small things that are weak in comparison to some of the stuff that other guys do on here but thought I would share.

Thing1 will be helping me with the steering box and what ever else mechanically we can nail out in a day. I am new to the whole mechanical side of things so thats a great help but the cosmetic stuff I will be doing myself.

I am getting married in July and another reason to have this all done is me and my groomsman will be arriving via the CJ. I told my fiance that I only have one request the whole day....well 2 but we wont get into that .....And thats to get a couple awesome wedding photos with me, her and my HEEP.

Enjoy the weather!
    Lifes A Garden..........Dig It!

With the help of Thing1 (Tim), we got some stuff accomplished today. Was at if for about 4 hrs and got the old gear box and steering shaft out along with the old brake booster and master cylinder. Got the new shocks in, well almost. 3 of them in but the back right rears lower mounting bolt is stripped so that will be added later.

After Tim left, I changed all the plugs and wires, new oil filter and changed the oil.....looked more like tar..........gotta love previous owners.

Looking for a YJ steering shaft, so if anyone has one, let me know. NEED IT ASAP!

Thanks for all the help today Tim. Much appreciated!

Hopefully get a few more things done tomorrow and later in the week when she gets HOT

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 8 Mths 3 Days 22 Hrs 31 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 20 Mins 7 Secs
    No problem Joe.
    Post pics of that CJ it is sweet!
    Also as you work thru the brake conversion, lots of folks will be interested.
    WARNING! I am about to do something really fawking STUPID!!!!!!
    ᄅ# pɐǝɹʇǝɹ
    93 YJ- RIP- parted out like I should be

Sunday: Got the dash ripped apart and labled/mapped all the wires. I primed and got 3 coats of paint on the new dash/instrument panel.

Does anyone know another option to the regular dash torx bolts (http://www.cyberjeep.com/images/bolt...-panel-t.jpg)?

These things are a pain in the a#$. I had to grind a few off and almost stripped a couple more.

Time Online: 6 Mths 2 Days 6 Hrs 16 Mins 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 15 Mins 1 Sec
    I just have normal hex head screws on my dash. For my Jeep the simpler the better. I may go gets some bling and buy some SS hex heads sometime......nah probably not.

^ Thats what I was going to do, but couldnt find any that matched the thread count at CT. Will try my work and see what they have.

Thanks

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    got all my nuts and bolts at Facca fastners on exeter rd. take 1 in they can help you out

Yup Facca is good... a little slow if there is a line up.

The place in the strip mall across from the wellington Road Costco is good too... I think its a Fasten All.

I just used what fit as my Tub is from a YJ. But it is a standard thread.

^ ^^ Thanks guys!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    hey. mine came today, I have an extra set in red if you want them

Oh and on the brake conversion, you'll probably need to upgrade your master cylinder to one from an e350. I think the brake calipers on a CJ D30 are similar to my Scouts(ie ford f150). You'll have crappy pedal feel as you are not moving enough fluid to the front calipers. It will stop however it will be scary sometimes.

And for the HEI dist.... if you haven't spent the money don't. Just upgrade to an HEI ignition module, a Coil from a 90's TBI 350 and go to the Ford Big cap on the distributor. It did wonders for my 360 and its a hell of a lot cheaper than a new dist.
    Last edited by Sidepipes; 03-30-2010 at 02:29 PM.

Tim - I might take you up on that. I was going to go with white, but RED might do the trick and look sharp.

SidePipe - Thanks for all the info. I think I am going to step away from the HEI...for the time being anyways....and will look into what you have suggested. I have read/heard some nasty things happening to the AMC cam gear with an HEI set up and dont really have the time/money to get into an engine tear down.

As for the brake conversion, I wimped out and ordered a refurbed Brake Booster and MC assembly from RockAuto yesterday:
    http://cardone.com/English/club/memb...PARTNUM=509373
    It should do the trick for the time being.

Any idea of where in London to get brake lines made up?

Driving to Ancaster tonight to pick up a YJ steering shaft to but up with my CJ shaft (If I can get it apart). Hopefully have that all put back together tomorrow or by weekend.

Cheers and thanks again for all the help.

ANy mechanic can make up brake lines for you... or you can spend that money and buy yourself a decent flaring kit and bender. You can pick up brake line from any parts store with the ends flared... cut it, bend it, reflare it.

Trial by fire dude... its how I learned. Its easy as pie... just remember to put the fitting on before you flare it!

So made good progress on the dash panel yesterday. Got the new chrome gauge plate in place and mounted all the gauges. Installed the new chrome dash grab bar and installed a new push botton into the glove box.

Went to Brafasco and got all new dash bolts and washers for ........FREE!

The dash panel was made my a metal fabricator that he was going to use in his CJ rebuild but decided not to. I got if for FREE when I bought a soft top off him. Everything was cut perfect accept for the fact that the side bolt holes were out by about .25 of an inch. Heavy gauge steel is a pain in the a$:& but got it all together and looks AWESOME! I will post before and after pics shortly.

Also removed and grinded off all rust and flaking paint from the battery tray and windshield backer mounts. Got a few coats of paint on them as well. Also grinded down and removed all surface rust and paint from the steering shaft.

I picked up a YJ shaft from a JK member but I dont think its going to work out. We heated the shaft for about 20 mins with a torch and she wouldn budge. I was going to cut the knuckle off and weld it on the CJ shaft but I am really running out of time for all this so I dropped my original CJ box to Monarch Rebuilders here in London yesterday and will have a nicely rebuilt steering box today sometime.

Anyways, shes getting there.

On a side note, my fiance and I purchased an 08 Jeep JK on Tuesday. So far so good.

Cheers
    Last edited by marksy31; 04-01-2010 at 12:01 PM.

New dash panel and custom gauge cluster are done and man does it look better. Also added new push botton ignition and utilized the old glove box door.
    Got the windshiedd/cowel weather rubber in place and put the windshield frame back on.
    Sorted out some tail light wiring issues and cleaned everything up with some new electricle connectors, tubing and new electrical tape.
    Most importantly, I turned her over and she fired up! I havent had her running since September of last year.........man I love the noise!

Roll bar will come out Monday afternoon for a new paint job and I should have my new breake booster/MC and steering gear box by then.

Im out!

Picked up the rebuilt steering box. Looks brand new.
    New brake booster and master cylinder came in as well and have installed it. Just have to run brake line to the prop valve.
    Removed the roll bar and got 4 coats of VHT Roll Bar & Chassis paint on er. Cleaned it up nice.
    Ripped all the seats out and bedlined the tub. Installed the new middle console, new lap belts, rear seat cover and got the seats back in.
    Debating on putting the old dash pad in. I painted it with vinyl/fabric paint and it looks brand new........????

May need some help getting the new gear box back in and making sure everything is lined up steering wise but other then that everything is coming along nicely.
    Last edited by marksy31; 04-07-2010 at 06:53 PM.

Time Online: 1 Day 1 Min 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Secs
    Hey Mark,

I'm keeping track of your mini-build. Glad to hear you're making progress brother. I miss the London Jeep family! Keep up the good work - I did the same thing with my old YJ when I got married 2 years ago.

Post some pics when you can, I'd love to see your CJ!

Charles
    if it's not broken, don't fix it... break it first!!

Current Jeeps: 84 CJ7 & '05WK
    Old Jeeps I owned: 93YJ, 97TJ, 94YJ

Pushed her out of the garage today for a little bath and to get some sunlight.
    Put in some rear footman loops and got the new bikini top on. Also snapped a few pics.
    Interior turned out great....ignore the loose dash wires. Just got all new gauge lights and have to plug em in and clean up the mess.
    (see photos in next post)
    Last edited by marksy31; 04-11-2010 at 09:38 PM.

Pics

First time adding pics.
    Hopefully it works.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001.JPG   003.JPG   004.JPG   006.JPG   002.JPG  

008.JPG  

Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 22 Hrs 36 Mins 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 7 Secs
    Nice looking CJ love the Turbines!
    '02 TJ - DD/Parts Runner
    '83 CJ8 - Toy/Project