Thread: May long weekend goal

Time Online: 1 Day 1 Min 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Secs

May long weekend goal

Hey guys...

So I feel bad that I've been off these boards for a while. I used to know a lot of the community, but I haven't felt that as much lately. One main reason is that I sold my YJ last October and now I've got BAMBAM (Aaron)'s jeep. It's an '84 CJ7. It's a lot different from the YJ and is taking me time to gain confidence and learn about. That and I had a baby girl in August, so my time's been kinda sidetracked!

Like the other CJ guy writing about wanting to get his Jeep ready for his wedding, I've got my deadlines below too. It's nothing major, but work anyways. Figured I'd put this up for anyone who might be able to learn from this, like I've learned so much from Jeepkings in the past.

List:
    - 27MAR2010: get Green Giant running - COMPLETE 14MAR2010 Plugs OK, Dist cap OK, rotor OK, fuel pump OK, QuickStart in Carb turns engine over, Pressure regulator set too low

- 27MAR2010: axle / pinion bearing replacement - Gast tank dropped, rear d/s out, axle nuts off, one set of drums/shoes off, Remaining work: grind out old diff cover bolts because Torx is garbage, remove axles and inspect for signs of metal friction - likely inner axle bearing

- 17APR2010: Rear dic brake conversion - no progress - one set of drums/shoes off, Remaining work: Research how to convert rears to discs (ie: nissan 300zx + XJ+ Geo??)

- 01MAY2010: Transfer case repair - no progress , Remaining work: fix leak (find with dye) + fix linkage (Atlas twin stick transfer case)

- 15MAY2010: Front driver's side hub stiff - no progress , Remaining work: Locker problem? requires inspection to assess.

Figured I'd post a couple pics to give some ideas of what I'm working with, but realized I don't have many good ones. I'll snap a few off and update this thing tomorrow. Hopefully I can keep with the timeline! Thanks for reading,

Charles

if it's not broken, don't fix it... break it first!!

Current Jeeps: 84 CJ7 & '05WK
    Old Jeeps I owned: 93YJ, 97TJ, 94YJ

Time Online: 1 Mth 5 Days 7 Hrs 42 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 54 Secs
    Right on man!
    Let me know if you need my services, we can schedule a weekend of spinning wrenches and I'll come lend a hand!

I just finished swapping springs and shocks but I still need to do some more work, but I gotta say I'm loving the Old Man Emu springs!

You Forgot to mention that your goal is to have everything done before we go wheeling in Late May/ Early June, I can't wait!
    05 LJ Rubi on MTZ 285/75/16

Go Ahead. Get Dirty.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 8 Mths 3 Days 22 Hrs 29 Mins 38 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 20 Mins 7 Secs
    Welcome back!
    WARNING! I am about to do something really fawking STUPID!!!!!!
    ᄅ# pɐǝɹʇǝɹ
    93 YJ- RIP- parted out like I should be

Thanks guys!

Ya Steve, I'm pumped to finally go wheeling with you again - it's been way too long!

Be patient with this little project - I'm slow to work but I think my timeline is realistic. Thanks for the support!

This is just a pic of Green Giant:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CJ-fix 007.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	966.9 KB 
ID:	54319

I'll be chopping into the backing plate of the drums to make a mounting bracket for my calipers here. Just a "before pic" here:

Name:	CJ-fix 006.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	921.4 KB 
ID:	54321

And this is just a pic of the diff cover - torx nuts are garbage and it'd be more work to get them out then just grind them off and retap for new hex bolts (note gas tank on the left is down and makes more room to work on/in the diff):

Name:	CJ-fix 004.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	915.2 KB 
ID:	54320

Update

Hey guys, as I said when I first started this thing, I'm a little slow to get things done, but I've still got my eyes on the May 15th deadline. Here's where I am since I last wrote:

Diff cover's off - ended up grinding 8 outta 12 bolts off and retapped them. Ring gear, pinion gear and differential gears look alright.

Name:	CJ-fix 009.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	940.5 KB 
ID:	55075

Pulled the passenger side axleshaft out and it looks a little worn. Not sure if I should re-use it or get a used one to replace it. Ideas?

Name:	CJ-fix 024.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	928.0 KB 
ID:	55073

Found the reason there was grinding noise coming from the passenger rear!!

Name:	CJ-fix 031.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	952.6 KB 
ID:	55074

I'll be working a bit more tomorrow night - most likely opening up the driver's side and hopefully pulling the diff gears out to look at the pinion bearing/seals... Disc brake conversion's likely gonna be the suzuki discs with the 300z calipers/pads and I'll just grind out a bracket to mount the caliper from the brake backing plate. Or should I just use new metal?

Driver's side axleshaft pulled. This side at least had a little oil on it, so the bearings held up, but the splines on the shaft are right stripped off.

Name:	CJ-fix 032.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	927.2 KB 
ID:	55124

Looks like I should be investing in some new shafts...

Name:	CJ-fix 039.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	986.6 KB 
ID:	55125

Oil seal held up alright, but I'll replace it anyways while I've got everything opened up...

Name:	CJ-fix 038.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	957.3 KB 
ID:	55123

My Mood
    Amazed
    Time Online: 4 Wks 19 Hrs 46 Mins
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 22 Secs
    Making better progress than I am heh.
    We need to wheel again this season.

YouTube Videos
    98 AM General Hummer with 2" lift and 38" Tires
    1982 Suzuki LJ80V - Pretty much stock other than a light bar and some lights... lots of mods to come

So I was going to try to use the new(er) tube from the axle I picked up from Steve last weekend, but I only realized when I got home that the perches are set up for SOA. So I took a good look at my existing axle tube, and it doesn't look like any significant damage took place inside because of the busted bearing. So I've decided to clean up the axle, paint it up, and rebuild it (pinion bearing, inner/outer axle bearings, and oil seals. I'm also gonna install some zirk fittings on it so that the bearing problem never happens again.

Everything is set for this axle to come back together except for two things - I just need to pick up the outer oil seal and finish fabbing the caliper brackets. I'll post pics of everything soon.

As for the rear disc brake conversion, this is what I ended up doing / spending (JUST under $200 compared to $900 for the kit online):

- 1998 Nissan Maxima rear calipers (including brackets and rubber lines) - $135 from the scrap yard. I know, a little pricey, but it was the best I could find.
    - 1998 Maxima pads ($16 bucks)
    - 1996 Geo Tracker rotors ($22 bucks / side)
    - 3/8" steel plates for brackets ($20)

ANYONE AROUND WHITBY GOT A PLASMA CUTTER TO HELP ME CUT UP THE BRACKETS?
    I've gone through 2 cutoff wheels on my grinder and I haven't even got through 1/4 of the first bracket!

Thanks guys ,

Charles
    Last edited by big_blue; 04-25-2010 at 11:07 AM.

So I haven't updated this thing in a while, so I figured I should update it now, seeing as though my title mentioned I was supposed to have this done by now... I'm getting there - another week or two hopefully.

First off, I wanna thank Adam (Lookin4MUD) for helping me cut those brackets in my last post.

Since my last post, I've put new bearings throughout the rear axle, installed grease fittings so that I never (hopefully) have a bearing problem again and replaced a few seals. It's nice and cleaned up and ready to get put back into Big Green. The black "spacer" on the ground in the first pic is my cut up backing plate that I kept to keep the shimming right. I also redid the brake lines from the tee fittings to correctly mate the maxima calipers (10mm flare nut) to the tee (3/8"). With the rubber lines and the new steel lines, I've got plenty of room for articulation.

Name:	CJ-fix 056.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	946.2 KB 
ID:	57091Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CJ-fix 048.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	1,010.9 KB 
ID:	57092Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CJ-fix 069.jpg 
Size:	950.4 KB 
ID:	57093Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CJ-fix 052.jpg 
Size:	967.9 KB 
ID:	57094

Left to do:
    -install axle back under Jeep
    -setup brakes
    -put gas tank / driveshaft/ etc back in

As little as that may sound to some guys, I've only got so much time after taking care of my little girl, so I hope to have it all done in 2 more weeks. I'm looking forward to getting this bastard on the trails!

Wow... This has taken me way too long to write in here. But just for closure, I've got the Jeep all back together again. Had a few minor setbacks along the way (rusted differential plug, air in the master cylinder, in addition to all the other crap I came across), but I'm glad to say that the axle rebuild went well - no more weird noises when rolling. Only a few minor issues left now. The main one that's keeping me from driving it more than 100ft is a seized front caliper (I think). Only a two hour job, but just gotta find the time... Other than that, a few leaks here and there, but that's normal... Gotta take care of them at some point.

Next mini-project is gonna be to put in a 5-point harness for my daugther for next summer. Can't wait to have her (and me) actually DRIVE in it for the first time!! I'll just keep updating this post.

Here are some pics of the axle back in the Jeep. Feels good to be over that one, but I learned a lot doing it all! Anyone with questions about how to do a brake conversion or axle rebuild, I'd be glad to try and help out. Just PM me.

Name:	CJ-fix 084.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	959.3 KB 
ID:	61604Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CJ-fix 081.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	995.8 KB 
ID:	61605

Thanks for tuning in!

Charles