Thread: The Infamous To Do List- 01 Jeep TJ

Time Online: 1 Wk 3 Days 6 Hrs 52 Mins 35 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 50 Secs

The Infamous To Do List- 01 Jeep TJ

Well I got a few things to do on my jeep.

I figured if i started a little thread it may give me more of a push to tackle them.

Since I was away from home all winter, and my jeep doesn't fit in my garage. Spring and summer is the only time I can work on it. A driveway warrior.

Priorities:
    *First thing is I need to fix my death wobble
    *then regear when i have some solid time
    *snorkel after that because it looks cool and sometimes water is deeper then it looks

Here is the list:

-Ball joints, Done
    -Dual stabilizer
    -stiffen up my track bar bracket done
    -install snorkel
    -install lights attached to the side of the windshield
    -attach new rear pull points to the rear ( my uncle hooked me up with two from his work, I think he said they mount to one of the jeep models....)
    -regear the front to 4.88's
    -regear the rear to 4.88's and drop a Detroit in. ( I want to get the gearing done sooner then later as I don't want to do any -major wheeling trips until thats done, out of everything its the one thing I'm still skeptical of as i have never done anything like it before...but I have to learn some how)
    -install 4 point harness
    -paint all my control arms
    -rino line the tub
    -and im sure some other things will work there way in there too

Added:

Replace braided brake lines

I collected a few of these part over the least year but school took up too much of my time then so I'll see what i can hammer off.
    Last edited by Marion; 04-19-2010 at 02:23 AM.
    2001 TJ, 7.25" Long Arm Lift, 35s BFG MTs, 4.88's, Dana 44 rear with a Detroit = A never ending project

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs
    Just a thought, but perhaps you could source some take-out TJ axles and regear them on the bench, then swap them in over a weekend? You could also install new ball joints at the same time, and just swap your braking components over when the time comes. You'd also have some spares on the shelf should you break anything down the road.

Ball Joints, about 3-4 hours
    Dual stabilizer, an hour tops
    Stiffen track bar bracket, 1-2 hours depending on what you're doing.
    Snorkel, 2-4 hours
    Lights; 1 hr.
    Pull points; 1 hr.
    4pt harness; What's your 4th pt of attachment to?
    Paint control arms; few minutes
    Rhino line; $$ more than time, but count at least 2 hours to re & re the interior (leaving dash in place) plus prep and paint time.

I see about a solid days work here, plus the regear.
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Noltz View Post
    Just a thought, but perhaps you could source some take-out TJ axles and regear them on the bench, then swap them in over a weekend? You could also install new ball joints at the same time, and just swap your braking components over when the time comes. You'd also have some spares on the shelf should you break anything down the road.

Ball Joints, about 3-4 hours
    Dual stabilizer, an hour tops
    Stiffen track bar bracket, 1-2 hours depending on what you're doing.
    Snorkel, 2-4 hours
    Lights; 1 hr.
    Pull points; 1 hr.
    4pt harness; What's your 4th pt of attachment to?
    Paint control arms; few minutes
    Rhino line; $$ more than time, but count at least 2 hours to re & re the interior (leaving dash in place) plus prep and paint time.

I see about a solid days work here, plus the regear.

I think your time to do things is alot quicker then mine...lol

I'm still in the learning process for alot of things on my jeep, this is my first vehicle i ever owned, and my only opportunity to do work on a vehicle so its a big learning process for sure, but I love it!!!

Yeah I thought about doing the gears and ball joints at the same time, but my catch 22 is that this is my DD. I can't afford the time it would take to do it all right now and I really don't feel comfortable driving it around with the ball joints causing that death wobble, mind you it is pretty funny to see a passeneger experience it for the first time lol

For the ball joints I just got one side done it took me about 5 hrs, stupid little things always add time, I always take my time to clean things I take apart, I re-taped my hub and bearing assembly bolts and hub. And when i work on my jeep i like to take my time, I find if i rush thats when i make mistakes and it creates headaches.Tthe big hub nut on the shaft was b*tch to get off. I had a two foot breaker bar on it and a 4 foot tube over top..not a budge, then i remember my electric impact gun and it took it off no problem. This was my first time doing ball joints...im sure the other side will be a lot easier and faster.

As for gearing other axles and swapping them its not a bad Idea and i though of it, for the front it would be handy to have extra part for it lying around, but my current rear is a 44, and the cost to buy another one that bolts in would add up.

For the 4pt harness, I picked some expired racing harness and I dropped in some racing seats into my jeep. The idea for that was to build/weld a bar across the back of my roll cage, for the the top, the bottom straps i was thing of bolting to my seat brackets or the floor....i will have to do more research on that.

Thanks for your suggestions,

I will post some pics of my jeep and where i am at when i get a chance
    Last edited by Marion; 04-15-2010 at 12:24 AM.

I fabbed up the stiffening bar for the track bar bracket and finished up the the upper and lower ball joints on both sides of the front axle. Unfortunately when i did the ball joints I notice the braided brake lines are starting to fray from how where i zip tied them to the shocks. I looked up the price for replacing them... damn they are expensive!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG00272-20100415-1340.jpg   IMG00274-20100415-1341.jpg   IMG00273-20100415-1341.jpg   IMG00275-20100415-1400.jpg  
    Last edited by Marion; 04-19-2010 at 02:20 AM.