Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DeRanger B-4000 2wd-?... project

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Days 14 Hrs 53 Mins 2 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 45 Secs

DeRanger B-4000 2wd-?... project

This is a truck that i originally bought off-lease for an exorbitant amount by todays pricing. Had to sell it when i needed to put a child seat in something (that led me to a ZJ, and here...)
    well it's been smacked up a few more times, C.C. and British Bulldog helped me and my friend Fraser repair the clutch issues. The truck was still having slippage in 3rd and 5th for him, so everyone seemed kind of baffled by this. Fraser was tired of some reliability issues (290,000 km) so traded his dirtbike for an F150, and was going to scrap the deranger. so i bought it one step out of the junkyard. cheap. even my wife couldn't argue the cost. and hey, it's the truck we drove to Vegas in to get hitched...

So of course i bought it. had a b*tch of a time getting it started.
    hydraulic clutch. recent master, new slave, new clutch, machined flywheel (again , thanke BBD)
    and it was low about half an ounce of DOT 3 brake (clutch) fluid...
    the saftey fuel pump cut-off switch connection was loose. the clutch activation switch was not activating, the brake activation interlock... you get the picture.
    and the neg terminal clamp of the battery was loose.
    kinda dead battery. at least shallow. (but hey, there's a shiny new alternator in there...)
    so i got it going. drove it away. my wife was leading with the gps. i didnt really know how to get where i was going from where i was, so whatever.
    at the corner of Winston CHurchill and Hwy 7, in Norval, ther is a light. it was red. I stalled as it went green. My wife drove away. she says she thought i was going a different way. right. the inersection is kind of blind, so you cant see anything after the turn. also kinda a dead cell zone.
    after some teens and an obnoxious italian laghed/yelled at me (and subsequently recieved the bird) a local locksmith came with his cube van and we tried to get voltage up, tried to get it started, to no avail.
    i finally got a hold of my wife., she made it all the way to my mothers for a family dinner, and was wondering where I was. thanks.
    so i got my almost-brother-in-law to drive my jeep back to meet me.
    borrowed a small file from a local electrical hobbiest that i had happened to push the deranger in front of. found and corrected a bad ground at the connection point closest to the battery that was interfering with both charging, and relay activation. took one of my spare bttery terminal clamps from the spares kit in the jeep. a quick boost off the jeep's optima, and away i went!
    even up th long hill between Norval and brampton, in 3rd, with 4 tires and 2 bags of sand in the back, (and now, also my toolkit)- no tranny slippage... odd...GOOD! doesnt need a tranny! I bought it thinking that was the first thing i needed to worry about!
    got to dinner, borrowed a charger, and after dinner, it strted WITHOUT A BOOST!
    i'm going to have to get a better, less dead battery, clean and copperpaste some connection points, disable some switches and that dam door ajar switch that was a problem 6 years ago...
    and for now, i have a hotrod 2wd 4.0 3.55 ranger on tiny tires that may or may not start...
    '02 Ram 1500 quadcab stickshift 4x4
    '84 Dodge B250 Starcraft van
    '77 CB750 SOHC rat cafe
    '74 Yamaha GT80

Time Online: 3 Mths 1 Wk 3 Days 13 Hrs 46 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 8 Mins 16 Secs
    so what are the plans? 2wd street truck or some kind of off-roader?
    currently building a toyota. i'm sorry.

My Mood
    Twisted
    since with the current tires it does about 110 kmph over 2300 rpm-i've always thought it needed a sixth gear. or i've got to increase the sidewalls a bit...
    and wider too, so i dont get stuck in sand again...
    one day, i might do a solid driven front axle, for now it's going to have to stay 2wd 'till i find all the gremlins. needs a bumper though. and of course if you have to build a bumper, it should be able to hold a winch...
    i think i might try to do a trailering yoke for the front, so i can use it as a spare truck, like the winnebago people do.

you can build a sweet pre-runner out of it. is it a-arms, or i-beams front end?

My Mood
    Twisted
    i have pics- first a few from the first time i owned it, and now
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails truck water-the docks.jpg   PhilIowa578.JPG   phils white pickup newmexico.jpg   DSC00326.JPG   Mosport deRanger.jpg  

DSC00253a.jpg   1004250017.jpg   1004250016.jpg   1004250018a.jpg  

My Mood
    Twisted
    i had it happily on 235/75R15LT BFG's on 4.5" backspace rims before- how about 31's?...
    (those rims are on my ZJ right now though...)

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 PM ----------

engine's still good right now ( a hell of a lot more horsepower than the ZJ- but it's also got an overall lighter gearing with the 26" tires)
    i could see a 4.6 in there though...
    gotta get it through a safety first

My Mood
    Twisted
    today i picked up a new battery disconnect and marine adaptor set at princess auto. borrowed the swager from work, and made a good gonnection on the #4 starter lead and made a #4 chassis ground. still got to upgrade that particular bolt to stainess. later. i have plenty of hardware.
    starts and runs much better now. think it's about time to take it in for a safety- i've only got a few days left on the temp sticker. and it seems i've got to argue the benefits of keeping it, the bike, the trailer...
    maybe some of my spare bike wheels and jeep rims will have to go. maybe i'll paint the bathroom and get rid of nothing...

compromise, the heart of every buildup.

Time Online: 1 Wk 23 Hrs 54 Mins 50 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 39 Secs
    Im liking the preunner setup
    I had a 94 rangert 2wd lifted with 31's looked good. SUCKED in winter, but i had crappy tires. gofor the pre runner
    92 4.0L HO (sold dwnpmt on a new car for teh wife AFTER OLY HAVING ON THE ROAD FOR 3 WEEKs!!!!!!!!!!!! wow that felt good
    1979 CJ-5 ;ifted with 33's ford 302 4 spd
    I'd ask you to step away from the welder, but it might do the world some good if you clamp the ground electrode to your big toe, put the MIG handle to your temple and pull the trigger.

My Mood
    Twisted
    i could save the 205/70R14 hankook i-pike winters that came on it for the winter- seems to give good grip on pavement. small. very small. would look ridiculous with even a 2" lift. this truck was pretty good when i had before. limited slip diff. . i ran a set of 28x8.5-14 LT coopers(hard to get that size), & a set of 235/75R15LT bfg-at's. the front has washed out on me before a bit more than i expected- (to the destruction of a front rims... hence the desire for more sidewall)

My Mood
    Twisted
    well, i've dropped it off for a safety and e-test today. time to see how lucky i am.

My Mood
    Twisted
    passed the e-test today. high but allowble hydrocarbons.
    the bigger problems are that the rear axle seals leaked and the axle puked gear oil into the rear drums.... so it needs seals, shoes, machining. i already have a brakespring kit at least.
    and now it is dead in the parkinglot at the mechanics- the questionable battery is no longer questionable...
    even with improved connections, the 2 extra starts without any real driving (and they had the defrost fan on!)... it is dead. wont even start off a different battery.

Time Online: 5 Days 12 Hrs 40 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 27 Secs
    I too am in the midst of a deranger, actually the identical truck 97 excab 2wd B4000 i just put a set of LT 235/75/15 GTRadial adventuro at 2's on Jeep steel wheels and it defineatly looks way better and my brother says it rids way better and looks badass after i painted the wheels gunmetal

My Mood
    Twisted
    nice- i just picked up some 15x8 steelie AR767 rims (will match the ZJ) nicely flat black and mud right now...and in need of meats

it passed an e-test today, but failed a safety. the rear axle seals puked gear oil into the drums...
    as for the not running bagain trick it is doing- i showed it a running jeep, and it started. didnt even connect it. so i drove it home, got a lift and drove the jeep back too.
    i have now improved the positive battery connection, and also the connections at the regulator. dont know if it helped- the little ones are sleeping so no gunnning the flowmaster...

Time Online: 5 Days 12 Hrs 40 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 27 Secs
    yeah my brothers truck is a flat black candidate just like my zj, the body isnt gorgeous so she will get a little bit of cheese and a quick paintjob. the exhaust is going on on saturday

My Mood
    Twisted
    flowmaster 50 sounds great with the 4.0- i've got one

My Mood
    Twisted
    thanks to igottafrigginjeep, it now has a working battery. starting problem has dissapeared- the deranger is now part jeep

My Mood
    Twisted
    i gave up on finding the time to do the axle seals and shoes myself- so i'm paying up. it will pass it's safety tomorrow. and then it can get it's real sticker!

My Mood
    Twisted
    it's safe now!

My Mood
    Twisted
    it is in MY hands, with jeep parts belted in...(not bolted- belted)