Thread: 150KM/day for 10 months. Need DD suggestions.

Time Online: 4 Days 10 Hrs 36 Mins 32 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 21 Secs

150KM/day for 10 months. Need DD suggestions.

What will be a cheap DD for long commuting? Most highway driving. The 10 months may be extended but not sure.

Was thinking about a used TDI but changed mind after reading the TDI post.
    Will an ex-cop chevy impala be a good buy?

Please give me some suggestions.

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 2 Mins 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 6 Secs
    00+ chevy product, 30+ miles per gallon, if parts fail they are normally cheaper than imports, dump it when yer dun commuting, lets face it, every single car out there has issues, cheaper to fix is more money for jeep
    Strength is nothing more than how well you hide the pain

Yer hot, wet, and extremely satisfying. You always put a smile on my face and yer the first thing i want in my mouth when i wake up....aaaaaahhhhhh Coffee, my only friend.

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs
    Short answer is yes. Sarge is right - all cars have issues, but the Impala is a pretty decent vehicle. That's why the cops used 'em. They tend to need intake gaskets around 150k ($800 job at a garage, or do yourself for $100 in parts), and front wheel bearings which aren't cheap but last 2-4 years if not abused. They're unit bearings, like Jeeps.

The TDI route is the cheapest drive you'll get today, if you keep it long enough. The initial cost will be eliminated by the 50+MPG (~20km/L). But you need one that's in GOOD shape to start with. Best deal I found was an '03 or '04 for $8k, which I couldn't do at the time. In the end I'm happy with the old Camry I found. 23-25MPG (~10km/L) and they're cheap to buy.

If I continue to commute I'll probably buy a diesel next.
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 3 Wks 1 Day 17 Hrs 34 Mins 40 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 52 Secs
    I've had a cavalier and a sunfire. Both were great on gas and the parts were dirt cheap to replace.
    young kid learnin the hard way
    90 YJ 4.2L, howell TBI, 4L head, 4"lift with 31x11.5s. broke it, welded it, broke around the welds, welded it again, sold it
    99 grand cherokee, 4.7L. 2" BB, 245/75R16

My Mood
    Cynical
    Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 3 Hrs 28 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 41 Secs
    My '02 TDi gets 1000 +/- km's to a tank.

275000 on the clock

Original everything but the tires, fluids & belts
    '05 Rubi, 102" WB, Supercharged 4.0l, 37" MTR's, 14" CO's, Chromos, TerraFlex Swayloc, Currie AntiRock rear, Chevy/Warn 44 Hub Conversion, Stauns, Staang fabbed custom long arms, Tube Fenders & steering.

Time Online: 7 Mths 4 Days 31 Mins 46 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 17 Mins 35 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Noltz View Post
    Short answer is yes. Sarge is right - all cars have issues, but the Impala is a pretty decent vehicle. That's why the cops used 'em. They tend to need intake gaskets around 150k ($800 job at a garage, or do yourself for $100 in parts), and front wheel bearings which aren't cheap but last 2-4 years if not abused. They're unit bearings, like Jeeps.

The TDI route is the cheapest drive you'll get today, if you keep it long enough. The initial cost will be eliminated by the 50+MPG (~20km/L). But you need one that's in GOOD shape to start with. Best deal I found was an '03 or '04 for $8k, which I couldn't do at the time. In the end I'm happy with the old Camry I found. 23-25MPG (~10km/L) and they're cheap to buy.

If I continue to commute I'll probably buy a diesel next.
    just to add.... with the exception of wheel bearings, my '03 grand prix has been a great car and i put close to 200,000 on it in 3 years.

no regrets buying it. (except for the interest rate i signed for....lol)

Time Online: 3 Mths 1 Wk 3 Days 13 Hrs 46 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 8 Mins 16 Secs
    i'm currently driving a 4 cyl, stick s10, and i love it! great mileage, and lots of cargo room. the interior is a little cramped, but fine for solo drives. i've got about $350 total invested in it, and i drive it like a rental. and the engine is the same as cavaliers, and sunfires, so replacement parts are super cheap, and available. also, its a rear wheel drive, so it has regular wheel bearings on the front, and all the front-end parts are greasable. no rack and pinion b.s
    currently building a toyota. i'm sorry.

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 8 Hrs 25 Mins 31 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 13 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepeej21 View Post
    I've had a cavalier and a sunfire. Both were great on gas and the parts were dirt cheap to replace.
    ^what he said, ive got about $1500 invested in 3 of them, one was cert and etested when i bought it, then i bought the other 2 for parts cars, i have all the parts i need for a few years stored away in the barn. so far all ive had to do in the year ive been driving this one, is put a serp belt on it and top up the PS fluid cuz the rack leaks and im to lazy to change it. its great on gas and cheap as dirt on insurance. for what it costs me on insurance and the mpg it gets, i cant justify not owning it.

oh and i beat on it like a redheaded step child and it seems to love it

Welcome to JeepKings, where men are men, and sheep are nervous
    put your seatbelt on, i wanna try something
    screw a farmer.................everyone else does

My Mood
    Cool
    Time Online: 3 Mths 4 Days 14 Hrs 20 Mins 13 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 46 Secs
    I agree on the cavalier and a sunfire they are cheep. Not a luxury car by any means but will get the job done.

I work for a service company and many of our Techs drive them. They put on tones of miles if they have a big issue they just get rid of it and get another it seems to work out the best in the long run
    Professional lunatic
    TJ V3.0 in the works "This is only temporary, unless uhhhh..... it works."
    I get confused once numbers get bigger than I can count on my appendages. I'm only good up to 21!
    one quarter turn before something breaks is a good torque spec.

Time Online: 4 Days 10 Hrs 36 Mins 32 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 21 Secs
    Thanks everyone! Great inputs.

Personally I had a cavalier for 50K kms and an impala for 60K kms before. I paid $1900.00 in dealer to replace the infamous gasket. I was very impressed by its highway manner and quietness but had to do quite a few repairs myself and in shops. Maybe the 06+ new version has better quality.

How about a 05-07 ford focus? I like the 3 or 5-door hatchback and it has a reputation of "fun-to-drive". The gas mileage is not bad too.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 11 Hrs 25 Mins 17 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 37 Secs

150KM/day for 10 months. Need DD suggestions.

I work for a service company and a bunch of our guys drive Honda civics. One tech in particular won't by anything but early 90s civics and he usualy only pays 300-500 for em. Cheep and easy to fix and easy on gas. On the other had if you get a good TDI and treat it well you can't beat em for the kind of mileage you are doing. Although I'm doing that and more sometimes In my jeep. It's usualy cheeper to dive what you already own then pay for a new ride to save a buck or 2 in gas
    2010 JK Unlimited Sahara, rubi axles, 35" duratracs, OME lift: Written off, RIP.
    2006 LJ Rubicon Lots of stuff from TMR installed by CT Motorsports (see profile if you want to know) project once more with feeling
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    Listen to the wise Drizit
    Hey he said it not me.
    There Must have been a time when we could have said no.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 3 Wks 6 Days 4 Hrs 27 Mins 52 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 14 Secs
    I bought a '00 Saturn for $900 recently because my Jeep goes through $100 a week in fuel alone, not to mention the wear and tear of DD'ing.

The car has 155K and required a tierod to pass safety, Great mileage, 5-speed so it's fun to drive, and of course tupperware never rusts.

You can get a decent car for cheap. Just look for the right one. If you have a GOOD mechanic buddy take him to look at the car, or bring the car to your tech. You dont want to buy one for next to nothing only to spend thousands to get it to pass DOT. I found domestic was a better buy then most imported cars. The resale is low, and the reliability is on par. Most times the north american maintenance schedule is much more affordable then the imported cars as well including factory platinum plugs that will go without issue 100k without changing, long life coolant, timing chains, extended oil change intervals ETC that will all land money in your pocket book.