Thread: Good Deal or Possible Lemon?

Time Online: 1 Wk 4 Days 11 Hrs 2 Mins 58 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 56 Secs

Good Deal or Possible Lemon?

I'm looking at getting a new(er) Jeep and have been browsing Autotrader and came across this sweet looking 4dr Wrangler Sahara with what looks like a 4" lift and 33's. It seems like a good deal considering I priced out a 4dr Sahara on the Jeep.ca website and it came out to $32K and then with taxes and freight etc I'm thinking it'll be closer to $40K so this sounds like a good deal but is it too good to be true?

I've done some research and read Goku's thread asking for advice on buying a 4dr Jeep. Reviews on the thread were pretty mixed but I know Jeeps aren't perfect from the two I've owned so some of the cons will not dissuade me from buying a 4dr JK. The thing that makes me leery about this ad in particular is the fact that it's a 2007, the first year Jeep released the 4dr Wranglers. My gut says there's something wrong with this Jeep.

http://www.autotrader.ca/used_cars_S...v=Ontario&r=40
    '02 TJ, 2" body lift, 2" coil spacers, 33"x12.5" Goodyear Duratracs, 15x8 Pro Comp matte black aluminum rims, D30/D35 regeared with 4.56 gears, Bushwacker Flat Fender Flares, Warn Rock Crawler Front Bumper, Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers, hprtech custom rear bumper with swing out tire carrier, 48" Hi-Lift, Hard Top, Soft Top, Safari, Wrap Around Windjammer, Tonneau and trail cover.

"I'm not retarded I just own a Jeep that's all".

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 4 Wks 1 Day 7 Hrs 26 Mins 43 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 25 Secs
    Stay away from the '07's. Multiple problems with them that they ironed out in the later models. Leaky hard/soft tops, axle tubes cracking with on-road use only, transmission fires, clutch failures, and fuel GUSHING out of the filler neck for no reason....just to name a few. I have had my '08 since new and only needed a windshield and soft-top window replaces so far (knock on wood).
    PAX ARMIS ACQUIRITUR
    99 TJ, HPD60/14B, TMR Customs 3 and 4 link, 40's.

Project Sandstorm Remix

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 6 Days 15 Hrs 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 45 Secs
    What are you looking at for remaining warranty? Or is it out the window with the lift and 33's (BTW, 4" lift should easily accommodate 35's on a JK).

Most of the problems Vince mentioned SHOULD eventually be covered in a recall, which (I don't think) is dependent on warranty.

But yeah, looking at that Jeep, I'd imagine that it would fetch more than $24k unless it had issues. If not, it's already sold!
    OF4WD Member # 5887

Quote Originally Posted by craveneh View Post
    You`d be surprised what your capable of when your balls are not in someones purse
    For Sale:
    Tan Rear Seat - 2004 TJ | Rear Seat Belt Assembly - Complete

Coming Soon:
    American Racing 172s | Jeep TJ Mopar Add-a-trunk | Roller fairlead + cable | TJ Liftgate Spare Tire Mount w/ Centre Stop-Light | Rubi D44 Factory Diff Cover

Joe, I haven't contacted the owner yet so I'm not sure about the rest of the warranty. The price is what made me think it might have issues. I wanted to get a gauge on what people thought before I contacted the owner.

Living out of Jeep between Toronto to Owen Sound
    My Mood
    Tired
    Time Online: 5 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 12 Hrs 46 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 13 Mins 9 Secs
    I was just by the local jeep dealer looking at a mountain and there was a brand new 4dr JK, do know the specifics but the sticker price was 23 k and change. I personally wouldn't mind some warranty unless your just going to mod it anyway.
    badass tj " Hey bro I would really like 2 grab tht rear end."

I would only add a new rear bumper and tire carrier if I bought it. It's already got the lift and tires. I'd possibly add a front bumper but that'd be about it.

Time Online: 1 Day 3 Hrs 52 Mins 35 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Secs
    one thing that would worry me about this ad is that the jeep is for sale in nepean but the photos show it with palm trees in the background....i wasn't aware that palm trees were native to the ottawa area....little thing (along with the lower than normal price) that makes me think this is a scam. they are very common on trader now that the ads can be posted for free. my $0.02.

Living out of Jeep between Toronto to Owen Sound
    My Mood
    Tired
    Time Online: 5 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 12 Hrs 46 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 13 Mins 9 Secs
    Now that you mention that there is no spot for a front plate either, I do see the rear one painted over.

Either the guy bought in the US and imported or the guy copied an ad from Florida and its a scam.

Quote Originally Posted by 99greenjeep View Post
    one thing that would worry me about this ad is that the jeep is for sale in nepean but the photos show it with palm trees in the background....i wasn't aware that palm trees were native to the ottawa area....little thing (along with the lower than normal price) that makes me think this is a scam. they are very common on trader now that the ads can be posted for free. my $0.02.
    Good eye 99greenjeep! I ddin't even notice the background. I just thought it was a sunny day in Nepean. These scammers were a bit more obvious before when they would post a ridiculously low price like $4500 but because this seemed like it cold be possible I totally didn't pay attention to the fact that palm trees were in the background. Maybe subconsciously that's what my gut was trying to tell me. I'm going to shoot the owner an email and see what kind of response I get back and I will post his reply.
    Last edited by TOYJ; 05-04-2010 at 07:12 AM.

My Mood
    Amused
    Time Online: 2 Mths 11 Hrs 48 Mins 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 59 Secs
    FYI

Me and the wife have been looking for a few months now at the 4dr Wranglers. We have found quite a few 2008 Rubicon Models with under 80,000km for $21,000-$24,000. There are quite a few out there that we have seen fully optioned with both tops and remaining warranty. Even if the ad is real there doesn't seem to be anything special about that price. Another consideration is to check lease busters I know quite a few people who have picked up JK's from there assumed the lease for 4-6 months that had an average buy out of 18-21g's.
    Poster does not represent or warrant the the information accessible via this post is accurate or complete. Except as specifically stated on this post, neither rbjeepthing nor any of his affiliates, will be liable for damages arising out of or in connection with the use of this post.

Time Online: 1 Day 11 Hrs 28 Mins 46 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Secs
    SCAM! PERIOD!!!! Have some fun with the con artist seller though, string him along a while...
    "I WISH MY WIFE WAS AS DIRTY AS MY JEEP!

Quote Originally Posted by RBJeepThing View Post
    FYI

Me and the wife have been looking for a few months now at the 4dr Wranglers. We have found quite a few 2008 Rubicon Models with under 80,000km for $21,000-$24,000. There are quite a few out there that we have seen fully optioned with both tops and remaining warranty. Even if the ad is real there doesn't seem to be anything special about that price. Another consideration is to check lease busters I know quite a few people who have picked up JK's from there assumed the lease for 4-6 months that had an average buy out of 18-21g's.
    Hey Adrian, never thought about Lease Busters but that's something to think about. I want to get something newer but also something that is already modded. It took me ages to save up and mod my TJ to the point that I'm happy with it but now I want to go bigger and I don't want to go through all of that again. I'd buy a Jeep that someone else has taken the time and money to build. Stuiez Rubicon was nice. I don't need all the room of a 4dr Wrangler I only considered that "scam" because it was a nice looking truck. If I sell my TJ I'll be looking a little harder but for now I'm in now hurry.

My Mood
    Amused
    Time Online: 2 Mths 11 Hrs 48 Mins 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 59 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by TOYJ View Post
    Hey Adrian, never thought about Lease Busters but that's something to think about. I want to get something newer but also something that is already modded. It took me ages to save up and mod my TJ to the point that I'm happy with it but now I want to go bigger and I don't want to go through all of that again. I'd buy a Jeep that someone else has taken the time and money to build. Stuiez Rubicon was nice. I don't need all the room of a 4dr Wrangler I only considered that "scam" because it was a nice looking truck. If I sell my TJ I'll be looking a little harder but for now I'm in now hurry.
    That is the same with us no rush but if the right deal comes along we will probably pull the trigger.

Time Online: 1 Wk 2 Days 4 Hrs 6 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 45 Secs
    This one is most likely a scam, not because of price, but everything else mentioned. I'd stay away from '07's if possible but wouldn't completely disregard one if the right deal came along. Before buying, just make sure you get the VIN and take it to the dealership and run the history on it. If it indeed has the problems associated with some '07's the owner would have no doubt gone to the dealership first to have it covered and you should be able to see all that.
    2009 Rubicon Unlimited
    Cobra 75wxst, Lightforce Striker 170's, Gobi rack, ACE rock sliders,
    RR XHD front winch bumper with 12000lbs Titan winch and front skid

OF4WD #5561

My Mood
    Cheeky
    Time Online: 3 Days 19 Hrs 39 Mins 32 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 18 Secs
    Scam...100%

but this one is nice :

http://www.autotrader.ca/used_cars_S...v=Ontario&r=40