Thread: Problem with auto locking hubs on a 2002 xterra

Time Online: 1 Wk 7 Hrs 35 Mins 58 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 36 Secs

Problem with auto locking hubs on a 2002 xterra

Wife has a 2002 sc and I just replaced the right front wheel bearings. We ran into some complications through the process, but got it all back together. Now I have a problem somewhere in the auto locking hub. The hub is making a rotational clicking sound while driving in 2wd that I think is the hub trying to lock itself. The sound goes away when I put it in 4x4. I think we screwed up somewhere, but I am out of ideas on what to do. Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by raider63; 05-23-2010 at 04:05 PM.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 3 Wks 6 Days 4 Hrs 27 Mins 52 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 14 Secs
    They aren't auto locking. They're slug drive. If it's clicking something is wrong and you need to retrace your steps.

Time Online: 1 Day 4 Hrs 39 Mins 28 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Secs
    When one of the hubs is clicking, it usually indicates that there is a problem with the opposite side hub. Take the outer hub off, the part that is held in by the 6 allen bolts, and re-install it. Don't force it on, it should slide on easily all the way to the mating surface. If it doesn't go all the way on,take it off, rotate it a bit, and slide it back on. They should go on with no effort, and the allen bolts don't need to be super tight.

Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 7 Hrs 12 Mins 52 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min
    Sandor is definitely the go to guy for your Nissan questions. Your wife may also want to sign up with the Canadian Nissan Truck Club ( CNTC ) as well. Good luck with the repair.

Time Online: 1 Wk 7 Hrs 35 Mins 58 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 36 Secs
    I took it all apart again and replaced the hub with used one. That fixed the problem. Thanks for the info.