Thread: My new jeep requires some frame work.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 1 Day 12 Hrs 19 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 10 Secs

My new jeep requires some frame work.

So my new YJ requires a bit of frame work before I can get her on the road. Theres a 2-3 inch hole in the frame after the shackle mount that needs to be repaired.

My initial plan for repair was buying 2x4 1/8th inch steel tubing and cut it to length up to the curve for the wheel well. But this morning I happened to be looking around on the internet and found this thread.Link

After reading through it led me to this site Here This got me thinking, maybe this would be the best way to do it? however 260$ is out of the question since I can get 6 feet of 2x4 tubing and a 5 x 8 foot sheet of 18 guage metal for the interior body work all for 120$.

So what do you guys think I should do? I have asked around and I'm not sure what kind of help im going to get from the couple of "friends" I have with welders. I had one friend offer to do it for me for a case of beer and im very grateful for it but hes not very good at welding.

What would be easiest to weld? my original idea, or the method the guy used in the thread I linked to. If I'm going to get a guy to weld this that is fairly new to welding, I might as well do the easiest way.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------

Just found this too. I like this method.

http://www.universityofjeep.ca/forum...ad.php?t=13997

Not really sure what I should do.

Time Online: 17 Hrs 25 Mins 31 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Secs
    I like the university of jeep link, i personally wouldnt go less than 3/16" It is the integritity of the frame, it is a common spot on all jeeps to rot out. Fix once, done... Rest of the jeep wil rot away before that... lol

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 1 Day 12 Hrs 19 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 10 Secs
    I just talked to the guy on the phone who did the university of jeeps stuff and he had to get that part that slipped in the frame custom made. total cost of the whole thing was 900$.