Thread: 8 lug non vented rotors?

My Mood
    Happy
    Time Online: 2 Days 20 Hrs 37 Mins 20 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 14 Secs

8 lug non vented rotors?

Hey guys,

I have been searching for some rear discs to put on my dana 70 that will work with a 94 caddy rear caliper. The rear calipers have a parking brake built in, they are brand new and were free to me, so that is why I am using them.

So basically I am looking for a 8x6.5 bolt pattern non vented rotor. Does anyone know if this comes on a certain truck.

I emailed EBC like a month ago, no response. I went into parts source when they weren't busy, and looked at a few different rotors off a chev express, but the girl was so bitchy about this and kept telling me they weren't going to work because they weren't specifically designed for that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    EdmCharger

Time Online: 3 Days 6 Hrs 18 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 16 Secs
    I've been looking into that for a bit and seems all 8 bolt Dodge and GM are vented but the calipers I found for Eldorados were for vented as well.
    http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...d-t134819.html

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 14 Hrs 23 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 44 Secs
    A Chev 3/4 ton rotor should work. It's vented, but that's what I used to have with mine.
    90 YJ. 4link F/R, 16" SAW Airshocks, 32bolt Beadlocks, D60/14bolt, Full Hydro/Hydroboost L67 3.8SC 700r4 NP231/D300
    02 Yukon XL on 37's DD
    91 Cherokee Juggy scrapped for Greener Grass
    I prefer to build it and not buy it, you see it, I probably made it.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 6 Days 18 Hrs 37 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 11 Secs
    75 chevy 3/4 ton rotors should work fine, I used same with my 70, not with caddy calipers, but I fairly positive that they use the same.
    CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!
    DINGA DING DANG, MY DANGA LONG LING LONG
    OF4WD#5576
    BOOYAH!!!

Stickybongsmoking is offline Yes, this is gawd damn muthafockling CTD NUT.
    Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 42 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 53 Secs
    Caddy calipers fit over rotors as wide as a 3/4ton GM? I wouldn't think that they would....never messed with caddy calipers, though - they are too small!
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

Time Online: 12 Hrs 23 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Secs
    here is an idea for ya. take a set of regular 8 bolt rotors and get one side machined off. that will give you what you are looking for. the girl at the parts store is not 100% wrong. the smaller caliper stoping a heavy vehical (a vehicle with a dana 70 rear) will create excesive heat which will lead to rotor warping.

Stickybongsmoking is offline Yes, this is gawd damn muthafockling CTD NUT.
    Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 42 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 53 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    here is an idea for ya. take a set of regular 8 bolt rotors and get one side machined off.
    Machine one side off of a vented rotor? Ooook
    Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    . the girl at the parts store is not 100% wrong. the smaller caliper stoping a heavy vehical (a vehicle with a dana 70 rear) will create excesive heat which will lead to rotor warping.
    Actually, no....primarily, rotor surface area will be what dicatates the rotors ability to disapate heat. The size of the caliper does not. If anything, the larger caliper could exert more clamping force which = more friction which = more heat.

My Mood
    Happy
    So, in every article I read, the only calipers people use for discs with parking brakes on the rear are caddy eldorado rears.

Is that because they interchange with the chevy fronts and 8 lug rotors are hard or expensive to find? or because eldorados have the only caliper with a parking brake that that accepts a vented rotor?

Does any one know of a caliper that accepts a vented rotor and has a parking brake provision?

As for the excessive heat comment, I agree that running non vented rotors on a vehicle that has a lot of weight to it like a work truck that will will be hauling big loads down the highway would just be stupid.
    The curb weight of a stock ramcharger is 4223 lbs. that includes the steel hardtop. The curb weight of a sedan deville that these calipers I have came from is 3978 lbs.
    Take off the hardtop, the weights will be pretty much the same. Devilles use a non vented rear. I am not towing loads with this truck, it IS my toy, I don't have enough money for more than one.

I upgraded axles because I wanted strength at slow speeds, and because it was cheaper and made more sense than swapping gears on my stock 9.25 and 5 x4.5 bolt pattern Dana 44. I just want to put disc brakes on the rear of it and I am simply looking for a rotor/caliper combo that will work together.

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 14 Hrs 23 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 44 Secs
    A Caldilac Eldorado Caliper will except a 1" thick rotor. I was going to keep them for my 14bolt but sold them with my D44.

Caddy rear calipers are just slightly smaller then a 1/2ton caliper. When I had them it through my bias to shit due to piston size compared to Explorer calipers.

Time Online: 12 Hrs 23 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Secs
    not what i meant about the smaller caliper. yes, larger rotors do disapate more heat no doubt.

My Mood
    Happy
    I have stopped worrying about this, and i am just going to run the calipers I got off my original front axle and use the 2008 dodge rear rotors i bought for them. Along with an 2008 OEM inside drum parking brake. I guessed that was the most proper thing to do. Bigger tires will need the stopping power of a large diameter vented rotor and larger calipers.

So, are any other modifications necessary to the braking system when switching to discs from drums? I am thinking I am just going to get a master/proportioning valve from a 3/4 or one ton truck. Or does it matter if it is a heavy truck? Could I use the original setup without any loss in stopping power?

---------- Post added at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

I have stopped worrying about this, and i am just going to run the calipers I got off my original front axle and use the 2008 dodge rear rotors i bought for them. Along with an 2008 OEM inside drum parking brake. I guessed that was the most proper thing to do. Bigger tires will need the stopping power of a large diameter vented rotor and larger calipers.

So, are any other modifications necessary to the braking system when switching to discs from drums? I am thinking I am just going to get a master/proportioning valve from a 3/4 or one ton truck. Or does it matter if it is a heavy truck? Could I use the original setup without any loss in stopping power?