Thread: XJ upgrades

Time Online: 2 Mths 4 Wks 21 Hrs 47 Mins 3 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 19 Secs

XJ upgrades

So after owning my 99 XJ for a little over a year, and having a great time wheeling it as purchased over last summer, it was finally time for some upgrades. I bought it with the lift and 33 inch Procomp MTs on it and did little upgrading with the exception of small stuff that needed to be replaced. Here is how it sat last summer...

After last years trips out, I knew a few things had to be addressed. The tires were due to be replaced as well as the shocks on all four corners. Tim and Mike from TMR Customs set me up with a new set of nitro skyjackers on all four corners along with some MickeyT MTZs which I mounted with their skull beadlock kit. I also decided to give the front end a facelift and purchased a winch bumper from JCR offroad and a Warn M8000 from Just Jeeps. Once again, Tim and Mike stepped in and added some custom touches to the bumper and also were a huge help when it came to mounting the bumper as some of the brackets included from JCR needed a little convincing to fit. I also upgraded the sway bar discos and steering with JKS quicker discos and Rugged Ridge HD steering, also from TMR. All in all the upgrades have made a world of difference and my XJ has become a whole new truck, both on and off road.

The upgrades would not have been possible without help from some great people. Tim and Mike at TMR Customs for all the help and advice and putting up with my crap, Alex at Just Jeeps for the steering solution, and last but certainly not least, Vince for all the hours spent under my truck. You guys are great friends, and my jeep would not be what it is right now with out the help.
    Matt
    The OG HOISTWAGON
    99 XJ, CT Motorsports built, Tons, 37" MTR/Ks, TMR 3-link and Beadlocks, CrewFab Cage and Bumpers, PSC full hydro

My Mood
    Drunk
    Time Online: 1 Wk 2 Days 1 Hr 26 Mins 16 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 44 Secs
    man nice rig. I really like the custom stinger and gussets on the bumper. really sweet.

I am looking into upgrading my steering components as well and i was wondering what price you got your Rugged ridge steering kit for and what it all consists of. I here the guys at TMR are really good to work with.
    I have a 97 xj

Thanks

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 4 Wks 1 Day 7 Hrs 31 Mins 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 25 Secs
    The price on the kit from TMR was the best around. TMR are great to work with...known them for 10 years now, Tim pretty much got me into Jeeps!
    The kit came with the drag-link, the tie-rod, and all the TRE's, grease boots, and install hardware. Installation was easy and the instructions were actually very good. The setup is really beefy, I mean HUGE compared to the stock stuff. For the price I would recommend the kit to anyone out there. Further to that for $10 Alex at Just Jeeps will make you a bushing that eliminates any sound and tightens up the steering.
    I installed and tested the kit on Matt's truck so that is why I have this opinion haha just in case you were wondering.

---------- Post added at 10:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 AM ----------

No problems Matt....that's what friends are for...although...those frame-brackets on that bumper tested our friendship haha...never again....NEVER!
    PAX ARMIS ACQUIRITUR
    99 TJ, HPD60/14B, TMR Customs 3 and 4 link, 40's.

Project Sandstorm Remix

Thanks man, I have been really happy with all the mods so far. The stinger and gussets definately bring the bumper to life. As for the steering, I can't remember what the price was, as I bought it with a bunch of other stuff. Your best bet would be to give Tim and Mike a call. Further to the bushing from Alex, I would also suggest replacing the Rugged Ridge grease boots with the ones from Energy before install. BTW, I like the write up you did on your 2x6 rocker install. That is on my list of things to do, once I install my frame stiffeners.

And Vince, I agree, never again. Ever.

Matt
    Last edited by MattK; 06-16-2010 at 05:34 PM.

My Mood
    Drunk
    Time Online: 1 Wk 2 Days 1 Hr 26 Mins 16 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 44 Secs
    Thanks for the info and the heads up. I will have to look into it and give the TMR guys a ring

Time Online: 1 Day 5 Hrs 48 Mins 32 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Secs
    Hey Matt, Do you still have your old Steely rims or did you just have the bead locks welded to them? And if you still have them, what is the bolt pattern and do you wanna sell them to me ???? I need 5x5

I do still have my steelies, but they won't fit your JK my friend. You got some plans in the works or what? Go see Tim and Mike, they will set you up with what ya need.

but can always buy spacers to adapt to whatever your pattern may be.

Listen here my son, you could buy spacers, but you'd probably spend just as much money on them as you would on new steelies. On top of that, it is very difficult to run 15s on a JK. Call TMR and they will price you out for spacers/adapters vs a new set of steelies.
    Matt

Ok OK OK, I'll do that.... You drive a hard bargain good sir... HAHAHA