Thread: newbie with zj

My Mood
    Amused
    Time Online: 2 Hrs 57 Mins 58 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A

newbie with zj

hi I have a 96 zj im trying to decide if it is worth me doing up the frame is in not the greatest shape the body is ok it has almost 400 000 kms on it . it runs fine but for how much longer im not sure . So if anyone wants to help a fellow jeep fan out please do.

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 2 Days 12 Hrs 45 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 24 Secs
    Welcome to jeepkings

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 23 Hrs 45 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 4 Secs
    Welcome to Jeepkings, and every Jeeper's dilemma.

I've been in your shoes, and it's a hard decision to make. What I found help put it in perspective was to ask yourself a series of questions, a few of them might be...

1) What does the Jeep need right now, and what will it need in the next year? Compare the money it'll take to what you're realistically get (compare prices of similar year Jeeps).

2) What does the Jeep mean to you? Is it a reluctance based on sentimentality? Is it because you have a lot of time/effort into it? (If it's modified a lot, some parts can be swapped in between Jeep models, some can't, which could complicate a transition.)

3) When you mention 'frame' issues, how bad are they, and where are the problem areas. It doesn't take much for a unibody to really go south if it's got rot in the wrong places.

4) Do I have enough to purchase a new Jeep (or any other vehicle)? If not, will the Jeep function until you can save up enough?

A final few questions that might help us help you...

What engine is in it? 4.0 I6, or the 5.2 V8? Has the transmission been replaced/rebuilt? Is it the part-time transfer-case, full-time t-case? Or the non-transfer case (2wd?) Finally, how mechanically inclined are you, and what tools do you have access to?

That's all I can think of. Hopefully we can help you to find the path that makes the most sense for you.

If I was a Jeep, they'd have parted me out a LONG time ago.

I'm a proud member of SOXJA ask me why!

Krawlerz team member too!

OF4WD Member # 5027

Time Online: 1 Yr 3 Mths 2 Wks 4 Days 11 Hrs 37 Mins 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 39 Mins 2 Secs
    welcome
    WHAT WOULD MACGYVER DO?

2004 rubicon: 12,000 lb titan winch, 35" goodyear wranglers, staang's belly-up skid, cobra 29 cb, highline fenders, trailhead bumpers

http://www.youtube.com/user/onehosereh#p/u

VA3 HWG, OF4WD #5571, RETREAD #1

My Mood
    Amused
    im a welder apprentice i can save up money if needed . it is a inline six the frame is pretty bad in front of the rear axle it almost gone on the bottom at least the sides of the tubing is ok. i can get any tool really except houst lol.

---------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------

oh it is a a 4wd

My Mood
    Paranoid
    I can see the dilemma. The thing to remember is that most ZJ's and XJ's are very cheap to replace. There's a few on sale here right now, and that's without looking on Kijiji. You could fix it yourself, but how much is your time worth? Another question is that if your rear sub-frame section is rotted, what else is ready to go? (There's always hidden rust...)

I don't mean to push you to scrap it, but you may be better off saving your shekels and sinking your money and time into a ZJ/XJ/YJ/TJ that has a solid frame underneath it.

My Mood
    Amused
    im not sure i gotta work on it tomorrow so ill look then and i would like to get a 5.9 limited but that is a dream lol
    and thanks for your inout it really helped

My Mood
    Paranoid
    No problems!