Thread: 5.0l mustang help

My Mood
    Happy
    Time Online: 3 Mths 2 Days 4 Hrs 14 Mins 38 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 36 Secs

5.0l mustang help

ok so my uncle has a problem with his mustang, he took the intake portion off for a cleaning and painting, and now when he got it back together something isnt right.

he says its like the choke is staying on and when it warms up its running like crap...
    now its a 88 5.0l HO so its fuel injected, so im thinking it wouldnt have a choke, is this correct? would it be the throttle position sensor? or maybe an idle air control circuit?

and help or advice would be great!
    If its a mechanical device i can fix it

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 2 Mins 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 8 Secs
    sounds like a vacuum leak to me
    Strength is nothing more than how well you hide the pain

Yer hot, wet, and extremely satisfying. You always put a smile on my face and yer the first thing i want in my mouth when i wake up....aaaaaahhhhhh Coffee, my only friend.

My Mood
    Happy
    ok i will pass that on, i guess its a good easy place to start...
    am i correct in my assumption that a fuel injected motor does not have a choke?

Stickybongsmoking is offline Yes, this is gawd damn muthafockling CTD NUT.
    Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 35 Mins 58 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 53 Secs
    ^ A vaccuum leak is definitely a possibility considering the intake was just tinkered with. Also, Ford IAC motors are notorius for getting sticky. If it is stuck open, it will idle high. It is simple to remove, inspect and clean on that engine. I would unbolt the sensor and while plugged into the harness, turn the ignition on and see if it winds itself open at all. It might need cleaning or replacement.

---------- Post added at 10:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by markr1001 View Post
    ok i will pass that on, i guess its a good easy place to start...
    am i correct in my assumption that a fuel injected motor does not have a choke?
    It does not have a choke in that sense of the word like a carb...but it does have choking functions. The IAC regulates idle only air flow and with the addition of ECM programming that allows for cold engine fuel enrichment, the choking process occurs.
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

My Mood
    Happy
    awesome! this is great, give him tons of stuff to check... any other thoughts definatly toss them up

he said"Low idle is a little rough when first starting out and high end of 3rd feels like a miss but smells like it is running rich b/c the choke is on"

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs
    Well like posted above, there's no physical choke. The "running rich" statement is a little concerning because a vacuum leak should cause a lean run, not rich... although from the drivers seat he may just be mistaken.

You can use carb cleaner to spray around the mating surfaces of the upper and lower intake. Spray the gasket seam and listen for a change in the idle speed or a studder in the RPM. You can use the same cleaner to clean out the IAC that CTD mentioned.
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

Time Online: 5 Days 3 Hrs 54 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 25 Secs
    Check and make sure the pcv hose at the back of the lower intake in the middle is actually seated in the hole correctly and the screen in there is not plugged
    98 ZJ 5.9, Build number two, NP242, 6" long arms, wj brake conversion, 35s. More to come.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 1 Day 20 Hrs 57 Mins 18 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Secs
    my 87 had a rich condition, did he disconect the wireing harness, maybe forgot to plug in the o2 sensors..
    mine was a rewire job on a 52, the heated curcuit never got wired in, took to long for the o2's to start reading..
    Last edited by MJ4.0; 10-22-2010 at 12:20 AM. Reason: spelling...

My Mood
    Amused
    Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 17 Hrs 50 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 3 Secs
    My brother has a 5.0 in his jeep and was doing something very similar... ran good when first started (when it was cold), then when it warmed up it ran like crap... black smoke from the tail pipes and would hardly hold an idle, almost like the choke was stuck on (yes, I know, fuel injected). We changed alot of stuff on it (all sensors, painless wireing harness, fule regulator, computer) but through everything what it turned out ot be was a bad main coil. Once that was changed it ran like a dream. Just something else to look at.
    "If I take my way and I roll... I fix it!"
    "If you make me take your way and I roll... are you going to fix it?"
    Probably not so get the F--K out of my way!!!