Thread: Extra Wiring WTF

My Mood
    Amazed
    Time Online: 11 Hrs 50 Mins 58 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Secs

Extra Wiring WTF

Just brought home this 2007 Wrangler X Unlimited VERY NICE JEEP

Went to take the doors off last weekend, and low and behold there is some after market splicing.

I took pics, but essentially on all four doors there is a green wire spliced into all of them. This wire is spliced into the door side of the wiring harness. I didnt think my jeep had power windows, but the switches are in, and I have power windows front only. Hand cranks in the rear so no big there.

I have some electrical connectors that will allow me to cut, strip n crimp, so I'll have an easy disconnect when comes time.
    but what the hell.

any chance this could be part of the security sysetm
    ps also found big red wire under the dash right above brake pedal, cut and spliced into a small blue wire, again WTH.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0050.jpg   IMG_0049.jpg  

My Mood
    Happy
    Time Online: 2 Days 20 Hrs 37 Mins 20 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 14 Secs
    Either way - If you find a connector that you can cut crimp onto the wire that allows disconnection, but wont short to the chassis when you are driving and it is flopping around then I can't see a problem. If it is for an alarm system it needs to see a ground to trigger the alarm. If you keep it floating the alarm won't know any different.

You could also take the time to trace the wire back to what it is connected to to be sure what it is.
    EdmCharger

Time Online: 5 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 23 Hrs 16 Mins 16 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 14 Mins 35 Secs
    ^^ agreed. It was probably a security system/remote start. Try to find a factory wiring diagram and remove any unnecessary wiring. You may want to solder the wires then shrink wrap them if you are going to keep the jeep for a while. Just put on the shrink wrap first LOL.

The wiring splice under the dash was probably for the remote start so that when someone hopped in and hit the brake pedal the engine would cut out. That was the style on my last one I installed.

My Mood
    Amazed
    OK, Thanks for all that.

If there is a security system on it, I dont know about it. The only indication I have is the small blue light led? that is top dead center on the steering colum. I dont have remote start, or power anything. (besides the front windows)

Im heading out to trace first, then cut crimp. I'll try and get more pics up this morning.

Small blue LED light you say................ Don't cut anything yet, you have a security system. Anyway to contact the last owner?? The owner will be on the used car package, they may have a key pad for you.

My Mood
    Amazed

Security System?

You were right, once I got in deep and cocked my head up, there it was staring me in the face. Heres the pics.

The car fax report I have here, says it was owned commercially in Brampton. No names tho.

I have cut nothing, but this means I cant take my doors off? WTF Now Ive got an alarm that I dont know shiat about.

Im emailing the dealer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0141.JPG   IMG_0140.jpg   IMG_0142.jpg  

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 6 Days 15 Hrs 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 45 Secs
    That looks very similar to the mopar one I installed in my Neon many years ago, I doubt it's mopar though.
    OF4WD Member # 5887

Quote Originally Posted by craveneh View Post
    You`d be surprised what your capable of when your balls are not in someones purse
    For Sale:
    Tan Rear Seat - 2004 TJ | Rear Seat Belt Assembly - Complete

Coming Soon:
    American Racing 172s | Jeep TJ Mopar Add-a-trunk | Roller fairlead + cable | TJ Liftgate Spare Tire Mount w/ Centre Stop-Light | Rubi D44 Factory Diff Cover

Try to determine the brand of alarm. You may be able to get a key pad that way.

My Mood
    Amazed
    Had one of my more techie buddies go thru today. Its a Clarion SR 6000. Capable of quite the amount of stuff, however useless to me with no remote.

Im dropping it off at the audio place tomorrow and hopefully get the dealer to pay for the labor for it to be installed correctly IE: doors come off.

Download the owners manual to determine the reprogramming with a new remote from clarion.

You should be able to buy a new remote, I did it myself with an alarm a few years back.