Thread: First Jeep Build

Time Online: 4 Days 11 Hrs 52 Mins 19 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Secs

First Jeep Build

Alright guys and gals,

Recently picked up a '96 Cherokee Classic off a buddy of mine who originally bought it as a winter beater. Picked it up this past May with 344,000kms on it. Pretty solid base to start with.

1996 Cherokee Classic
    4.0L I6
    344,000kms
    D30 front/ 8.25" rear
    Factory gas tank skid
    NP242 transfer case
    Wee bit of rust above the windshield/rockers have small holes in them/and little rust patch above the hatch.

It's my first Jeep after being in the VW scene since I first got my driver's licence. Now, I will warn you that this will be a slow build thread as I am still a poor 21-yr-old student.

The next day, I wanted to figure out what axles I had so I took some pictures. They are a little rusty but maybe one day if money and time allow, I'll sand 'em down and paint them. By the looks of it, I know that my rear axle is leaking from the fill plug.

That night, I picked up a set of Jeep steelies mounted on some worn Goodyear Wranglers. Brought 'em to work the next day, swapped them onto my Jeep and gave it its first wash. I'm a detailer so I gave it a great detail inside and out. After driving around in the rain with them on for about an hour, I realized that the tires just couldn't be used. So the next day at work, I swapped my Uniroyal Laredos onto the steelies and put the worn Wranglers on the Grizzly wheels. The Grizzly wheels were pitted and corroded to hell. Mounted the steelies on the Jeep.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG00002-20100506-2229.jpg   IMG00011-20100511-1859.jpg   IMG00012-20100511-1859.jpg   IMG00013-20100511-1859.jpg  
    Last edited by dub4life; 09-10-2010 at 05:30 PM.
    1996 Jeep Cherokee Classic
    D30 Front/8.25" Rear
    NP242 / 5" Hybrid Lift
    16x8 Soft 8s on MT/Rs
    350,000kms and still kickin'

The following weeks were pretty slow with money so I couldn't really mod the Jeep much. I did get bored on one of my days off and decide to bedline my faded driver's side rear quarter panel. Was my first time, and I think I did alright except for two spots where it bubbled and I thought I should pop them. I didn't take any pictures after I did it though.

Then, I got paid and grabbed a set of 16x8 ProComp Soft 8s from a blown85xj on the forums. A little rusty around the hubring and bolt holes but nothing that can't be fixed. And then I also picked up a set of 245/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs from JEEPCAT here on JK. Used and unevenly worn but nonetheless, they were MT/Rs. Mounted them at work and they rubbed like a MOFO. Took it home that day and trimmed off almost all of my front fender liners. The rear fender liners seem to be a harder plastic and I didn't have anything strong enough to cut it with.

Recently, I haven't had much time or money to do anything to the Jeep. I did find the time to continue my bedliner onto the hatch and around to the passenger side rear quarter panel. I also decided to remove my bumper end caps in the front and cut the sides off the one in the back. It seems to be seized on there real good. I'll get them off eventually.

Went to grab a coffee with my buddy and decided to do some baby flex. Nothing too much but it's a lot for me considering I used to drive only lowered cars.

FUTURE MODS:
    RE 3.5" Super-Ride with Rear Spring Packs
    New Windshield (this one leaks so bad when it rains)
    Sealed beam to H4 Conversion w/ 6k HIDs
    Fenders trimmed/Rear Quarter Fold
    Bedline the entire Jeep except for the two front doors (They're going to be painted flat white)
    Mount the Cobra CB 18WXSTII I just picked up at Wal-Mart for $60. I just don't know where I can mount an antenna or get the mount because I don't want a magnetic base antenna.

Positive feedback is always appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG00039-20100612-1042.jpg   IMG00038-20100612-1042.jpg   IMG00060-20100704-2052.jpg  
    Last edited by dub4life; 07-09-2010 at 12:59 AM.

Time Online: 17 Hrs 26 Mins 38 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Secs
    Out of curiousiity why'd you do just the rear quarters? And which bedliner did you use?
    What we have here.......is a failure to communicate.

I started with the one side because that entire quarter panel had faded to a dull pink. I decided to make it go around to the other side instead of painting only the driver's side because I only had 2 cans of bedliner left.

The bedliner I am using is EZ-Liner in an aerosol can (about $9/can at PartSource or Canadian Tire. Decent stuff, it adheres excellently if you scuff the paint underneath well. Also, make sure the paint is dry when you use it, or else the bedliner mixed with moisture or water turns it grey.

Time Online: 17 Hrs 26 Mins 38 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Secs
    So, today's not a good day then? It was for cosmetic reasons? Or is it supposed to provide protection against bush marks? I'm wondering because I've got the usual YJ rust spots on the body panels near the wheel wells. Been bouncing a bunch ideas and like this one. Cheaper than the $500 body panels I was thinking of buying. Time to dig out the grinder.

The main reason I'm using it on the whole Jeep is to protect it when I'm wheeling.

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 23 Hrs 45 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 4 Secs
    Nice!

Sounds like a sensible plan for a build. Start out with the small stuff, wheel it, upgrade, and enjoy!

If I was a Jeep, they'd have parted me out a LONG time ago.

I'm a proud member of SOXJA ask me why!

Krawlerz team member too!

OF4WD Member # 5027

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs
    You've got a great platform to start with, and it sounds like you've got the right idea of function vs. bling by going to steelies and MTRs. Get yourself some red tremclad and you can go right over that rocker guard for a more mono-tone look. By using cans you can always do a spray touch-up on your own. Took 7 cans to do my last YJ flat black, so about $55. Used Tremclad, and very little rust came back. Don't bother waxing it anymore... Antennas are best mounted in the center of the roof for max range, but because we're rarely using them beyond a few hundred meters, you can find a nice small 3' Firestick antenna and bolt a 90 mount on the drivers rear quarter (where you've already painted). You can usually get a stick, mount and cable for $50 or so.

Your first addition should be recovery points. Tow hooks, ideally, and a recovery strap. Jeepkings has several sponsors that can sell you appropriate equipment. Start a new thread with "What's a new wheeler need to bring to a trail run?" and you'll get a lot of experienced answers.

Welcome to the addiction
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

Awesome! Thanks for the input guys.

Just a quick question... Where can I buy a 3' Firestik and a 90degree mount for the rear quarter panel?

Time Online: 3 Wks 4 Days 19 Hrs 17 Mins 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 7 Secs
    That things gonna look like a cop car if it all black with white doors. Is that the idea? Thanks for saving an XJ.
    1991 Xj Gone to a new home.
    1948 willys Jeep pickup sitting and waiting.
    1984 toyota currently beating & building.

OF4WD #6069

Yeah. The idea WAS to have it look like an off-road version of an OPP truck.

But after speaking to a few of my police buddies, they advised me not to do this unless it was going to be a "Trail-Only" rig. If stopped, I could be charged with impersonating a police officer. I know, stupid but I kinda get where they're coming from.

So back to the drawing board to find a paint scheme.

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 23 Hrs 45 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 4 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by dub4life View Post
    Yeah. The idea WAS to have it look like an off-road version of an OPP truck.
    *L* Could you imagine coming across another set of Jeepers off road? 'HI guys! I- Wait! Where are you all... Why does everyone toss their pop in the woods and run when I show up?'

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 1 Day 12 Hrs 19 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 10 Secs
    Instead of paying 150$ for tow points up front alone just grab Staangs XJ bumper. The thing is ridiculously strong and has built in tow points. www.staangsfab.com

Good idea DoctorPhate. I might give Eric a shout this week for one.

Time Online: 2 Days 10 Hrs 12 Mins 8 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Secs
    ....i'd like to see a cop being able to make that stick if you have no OPP markings...
    -Marco
    98 TJ SE Apex
    2010 JKU-S

M i k e oOI I I I I I IOo N o v e m b e r
    The infantry is challenging. Both mentally, and physically. To do this kind of work you must appreciate being mentally and physically challenged.

12/04/2010 - Black 2010 JKU-S Order Placed
    21/04/2010 - VN Created
    04/04/2010 - Build Sched, Rail # assg
    15/05/2010 - Recd - 17km ODO

So I've been doing a lot of research recently and I've come to the conclusion that I want to put a 4.5" lift on the Jeep.

And I've been searching around the net and the cheapest 4.5" lift with full leaf packs and shocks that I've found on-line would be the Rusty's Offroad kit.

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...ode=sus_xj_kit

It's $669 USD plus shipping. I just need to call and find out what the shipping will be. I can't find any decently priced 4.5" kits in Canada. I tried National 4WD since it's very local to me, but they're a little too pricey for me.

Anybody have any input on the Rusty's kit?

Cheers

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs

First Jeep Build

Wow... Ya maybe we can have the police charged with impersonating a civilian while driving an unmarked car.

National is almost always the priciest supplier. Email the advertisers on this site and get quotes from them.

Alright,

I know I haven't had any updates in a while, but I have done a little bit of work to the Jeep.

Firstly, I had one of the techs at my work have a look at my front brakes because they were squealing pretty loudly. Informed me that my pads and rotors were still alright, they were just old. He also let me know that my passenger side caliper was kaput. So Friday, I checked inventory at my work and we had one set of OEM Mopar Rotors for my Jeep. So I grabbed those and ordered some ceramic pads from our supplier. Also got a reman passenger caliper from Part Source. Had my buddy's dad that I work with, install everything while I was out doing my deliveries. This thing brakes great now!! No noise, no grind, nothing. Also, the pedal isn't as spongy.

Secondly, while the Jeep was up in the air, I thought it would be a good time to paint my diff covers. Don't have the money to do a F + R diff service just yet, so I painted them still installed. Not gonna lie, I think they turned out pretty good. Little bit of overspray, but meh. I busted out the die grinder and a wheel and just went to town sanding them. Painted them with Brafasco Heavy-Duty Purple Paint. It's almost Barney purple but it's different and it matches my DC sticker on the rear windshield. Don't have any pictures at the moment but I'll snap some tomorrow when I'm at work.

Thirdly, I shopped around some more for a lift and I found a Canadian company out in BC that has exactly what I'm looking for, the Rough Country 4.5" lift with full leaf packs, for cheaper. Here is the link: http://www.lowriders.ca/ProductDetai...C633H&CartID=1 . Shipped to my door, it's going to come out to $814.04 USD, so roughly $840.23 CDN. So now it's just a matter of saving for it.

Finally, I leave you guys with a picture of the Jeep parked beside my buddy from work's dumped turbo '99 Sebring Coupe. My Jeep is stock height so he is fairly low.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG00071-20100713-1013.jpg  

So I finally got some pictures of my diff covers painted up. I know it's a sh!tty job and it wasn't taped before painting but for now, I think it looks a lot better than rust.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Painted D30.jpg   Painted 8.25.jpg  

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Time Online: 4 Hrs 26 Mins 28 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A

fellow xj owner

nice work so far I was given a XJ for free (Icouldn't let it go the wreckers) so far all I've done is replace the front end (almost complete) with oem parts but I have the same plan. A 4.5"lift so I can run 33's
    Thanks for the link I too have been to national (I'm in cambridge) and thier prices are too much and the sales assoc. had the audacity to say the price shown on thier website was actually going to be more dut to the exchange rate??? aren't we higher??and it's still 1400.00 so thanks againand good luck
    hey anywhere around cambridge to go wheeling?