Thread: failed an e-test - would new cat help?

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 3 Days 15 Hrs 42 Mins 42 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 55 Secs

failed an e-test - would new cat help?

98 passat 1.8L turbo, failed last week, good idel but 40km/h high co and high nox (1000 and limit is 450)

did some things to it, fuel system cleaner, combustion chamber cleaner, oil change, was nice and hot for the test, but failed again, co was barely ok and nox was down to 700.

Since the cat is a dealer only job, I was thinking about adding another generic cat just past the flex pipe. ANy ideas if this will fix a high nox problem?
    Want to see the future, past or the unknown? Learn to be psychic. Ask me how!
    A good time to invest in spf3000 if you live on the NK penninsula.
    Oh November 17, how I fear thee...

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Time Online: 2 Mths 4 Days 13 Hrs 42 Mins 54 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 19 Secs
    Why would the cat be dealer only Job? unless you mean to buy the OE part as it is not available aftermarket which would be odd for a 98...
    If your interested in adding a second Cat why not just replace the current cat with an aftermarket weld in cat? I do not think it would help
    you that much to add a second cat as the first one if faulty will only clog up and eventually be blocked off alltogether...

I would replace the cat and Do a tuneup...
    1989 Jeep MJ: 4.7L Stroker, 4WD Swap, 97+Conversion, RC Long Arm Upgrade Kit, 35x12.5x18 Mickey Thompson MTZ's, WJ D30, WK SRT8 Rear D44 w/approx. 8" Lift
    1983 Jeep CJ7: SOLD

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs
    I'm with Alex on this one... why a dealer cat? Quality 3-way replacements are about $200. I am not familiar with VW but I'm fairly certain there's no EGR on them, so the cat must be a 3-way, to control the NOx levels. High CO is often caused by sticky oxygen sensors... but again if the cat is no good you're gonna have trouble regardless if the O2 is working or not.
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

the cat is beside the engine mounted right to the turbo. I didnt know there was an aftermarket replacement

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs
    Flippin' VW's. Why?!?

I see what you're saying there. Yes, a second cat would probably be easier than replacing the OEM unit. Talk to your local fab shops about fitting another cat in.

There ARE aftermarket bolt-in cats available for VW's though. I just don't know where. Lapointe in Quebec used to do a lot of the weirder stuff, but I haven't used them in a couple years.

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

PS; I just googled it and there are a few sites that sell bolt-in aftermarket pipes w/cats. Prices aren't very good though. I again suggest heading to a local Zorro or Speedy and see who can weld in a new one for you.

I guess the egr units are known to carbon up. might be worth the while to clean them out