Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I really need some help..

Time Online: 20 Hrs 15 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Secs

I really need some help..

Hey .. like the title says.. buy do I need some help.
    Here's my story,
    I've had an accident at work which over the last five years required me to have multiple knee surgeries.
    I have just this year started to regain my strength. My girlfriend and I bought our first home and unfortunately it doesn't have a garage (a sacrafice I was willing to accomodate)
    So as some of you have no doubt saw, I decided to put my rig up for sale about two weeks ago. I wanted someone to get some use out of it and complete thing things that I physically (and without a garage) cannot do.
    HOWEVER,
    2 weeks ago Monday, I was travelling home from the GO Station, on my bike, when out of nowhere I was hit by a car.
    Knocked me off my bike into the intersection, and I was so startled I sprang up and grabbed m bike and rushed to the side of the road where I then sat down in pain,.. in so much pain. I was hit on the same side as my injury from work. So I am bed-ridden, with my back and pevis bruised and so, so sore. Unfortunately this is a pain I knew all too well from my surgeries, and now I am stuck trapped in my own body yet again.
    Not to make this a sob-story, but the sad part was, the driver sped off. It was a hit and run.
    So what I am getting to is that now this happened, and my bike is ****ed, ..and well I guess if it wasn;t I still couldn't ride anymore this year, and the only option I am left with is to fix my Jeep and drive it for my own safety.
    This really did a number on my head.

So I am asking for someone's help. Anyone's help.
    I live in Streetsville, Mississauga and I need some parts for my XJ. (I have posted in the Jeep Parts Needed Forum)
    but to reiterate, I need a horn, a RENIX overflow rad and windshield washer bottle and an Airbox. The reason why I was trying to sell it is because I don't have very much money right now, as I am trying to adjust to paying bills, mortgage and the like.
    I know my truck DESPERATELY needs a brake job, both F+R, and since I can't do it on my lot I decided to get a quote. It would be 400+ for the rears alone. So this has me thinking.
    I have a Dana 44 rear end back in Toronto, which is converted to ZJ disk brakes ands got a lunchbox lockrite locker in it.
    The only problem is is that it's been sitting under my porch for about 2 years so I think the brakes may be seized (not too much problem) but it does not have any rear shock mounts.
    I bought this off of Cherokee Pete and he had an SOA setup in his rig. If I can find someone who is really generous and would like to take the time to help me out, to which I would compensate with Beer, I would like to install it in my truck. But I don;t have a welder to weld on some aftermarket shock brackets. (Does anyone know where I can find any for that matter?) It seems like a logical upgrade to install my rear end, but I can't weld, and need an experienced person to help show me how to do a full brake job. I have no issue admitting that I do know a ton about Jeeps, but brakes I've never done.

So basically, I'm really up shit creek. I am so strapped for cash its not funny, I have just been demobilized thanks to a hit-and-run, and I dont have a car that I believe is safe for the road. I am just hoping that there is some generous soul out there who could help a fellow Jeeper out in his time of need.

Thanks for reading,
    -gator

My Mood
    Happy
    Time Online: 3 Mths 2 Days 4 Hrs 14 Mins 38 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 36 Secs
    if only you were closer...
    If its a mechanical device i can fix it

Time Online: 3 Wks 3 Days 8 Hrs 17 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins
    The truck was in some kind of crash?

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 4 Wks 1 Day 7 Hrs 16 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 25 Secs
    Is the 44 a front or rear? If it's a rear, you'll be relieved to know that all cherokees are soa in the rear, so it should just bolt in (assuming it came out of cherokee pete's xj).

I know you're strapped for cash, but the shock mounts can be purchased from TMR for about 7$ per side. http://www.tmrcustoms.com/store/inde...products_id=79

I don't have many xj or d44 parts laying around here, but i'll poke around and see if i have anything i can give to ya.
    Last edited by loosecannon; 11-25-2010 at 07:56 AM.

Time Online: 2 Wks 6 Days 11 Hrs 3 Mins 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 41 Secs
    I already offered my rear tail lights, and I think a few others were willing to gather some parts to hand over. I get into Toronto every so often and can find Mississauga to drop whatever I can off.
    Not sure what else I can do, I live east of Oshawa, so if someone puts a weekend together to fix the rig up I can certainly bring moral down with my presence.
    insert something witty here

Living out of Jeep between Toronto to Owen Sound
    My Mood
    Tired
    Time Online: 5 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 12 Hrs 46 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 13 Mins 9 Secs
    I would be willing to do the part changes, brakes on the current axles etc. If you don't have cash for the parts you can make arrangements with me on that. I am not willing to swap the rear unless someone has a shop with a welder that you could get the jeep to. You could likely get enough is you sold the 44 to cover all the other parts required.. but thats up to you.

Send me a PM if your interested.
    badass tj " Hey bro I would really like 2 grab tht rear end."

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs
    I looked up new parts from Parts Source.

Front brakes have 2 options; Unit bearing style with a slide-over rotor or a Hub & Rotor assembly with inner and outer bearings.
    Brake Pads; Pads are PN AXMD 203 and cost $26/set
    Unit Bearing; Rotors are PN 80-3512 and retail for $34 each.
    Hub & Rotor; Pads are PN 80-3931 and retails for $63 each.

Rear brakes have 2 options; 1 3/4" (Dana 35) or 2 1/2" (D44) shoes and drums. I assume you have a D35.
    Shoes are PN B151 from Satisfied and retail for $26 a set
    Drums are PN 80-2513 and cost $54 each

These are all brand new over-the-counter prices. I called my local guy but he's got nothing available much cheaper. I'm sure there's other suppliers that can do better (especally if we need drums).

Who looked at your brakes? Why do you think they're unsafe?
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 3 Wks 1 Day 2 Hrs 42 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 49 Secs
    i'm willing to offer my welding skills but this time of the year you need a shop and i don't have one.
    Servicing and Repair of RV's at Sicards RV in Smithville on HWY 20

Quote Originally Posted by loosecannon View Post
    Is the 44 a front or rear? If it's a rear, you'll be relieved to know that all cherokees are soa in the rear, so it should just bolt in (assuming it came out of cherokee pete's xj).

I know you're strapped for cash, but the shock mounts can be purchased from TMR for about 7$ per side. http://www.tmrcustoms.com/store/inde...products_id=79

I don't have many xj or d44 parts laying around here, but i'll poke around and see if i have anything i can give to ya.
    Hey loosecannon, its a rear dana 44. I said SOA , but meant Coil-over suspension. His old rig had coil overs in the rear. but there is still the factory spring erch mounts.
    I will check out your link right now. Thanks a lot

hey Beakie. Your donation is already a big help. If I can somehow work out all of the parts I need first, I would definatly call on you to lend your experience.
    I'm really frustrated right now.

craveneh,
    so your saying if I can get someone to help me swap in and weld the mounts to the axel, you could help me with the brakes?
    im just a bit confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Noltz View Post
    I looked up new parts from Parts Source.

Front brakes have 2 options; Unit bearing style with a slide-over rotor or a Hub & Rotor assembly with inner and outer bearings.
    Brake Pads; Pads are PN AXMD 203 and cost $26/set
    Unit Bearing; Rotors are PN 80-3512 and retail for $34 each.
    Hub & Rotor; Pads are PN 80-3931 and retails for $63 each.

Rear brakes have 2 options; 1 3/4" (Dana 35) or 2 1/2" (D44) shoes and drums. I assume you have a D35.
    Shoes are PN B151 from Satisfied and retail for $26 a set
    Drums are PN 80-2513 and cost $54 each

These are all brand new over-the-counter prices. I called my local guy but he's got nothing available much cheaper. I'm sure there's other suppliers that can do better (especally if we need drums).

Who looked at your brakes? Why do you think they're unsafe?

Hey Noltz,
    for the front brakes, which between the two would be best? A unit bearing style with slide-over rotor or a Hub & Rotor assembly. (I will admit that I am a bit confused by this.)
    the Hub and Rotor assmbly would be $126 and the Unit bearingon $68. is this right? I think I must not be understanding this properly?

And the rear that I have now is a Dana 35, but the axel I have also is a Dana 44 converted to disks. I think that the disks in the rear would be a much better solution to stopping power, even with new drums in the rear.. ?

No one looked at my brakes. But it was unbelieveably difficult to stop.. i mean the front brakes were doing all the work, I could just tell.
    I haven't driven it for a solid 6 months, and before that (drove it from storage to my new house) it was another good six months.

Quote Originally Posted by MudSir View Post
    i'm willing to offer my welding skills but this time of the year you need a shop and i don't have one.
    because the weld will not penetrate if the metal is cold?

First off, I just want to thank everyone who's responded to the thread so far.
    There sure are a lot of assholes in this world, who hit you with their car and drive off, and then there are Jeepers. Or in Noltz case, non-Jeepers too.

I am just trying to get better, but my back and pelvis are still ****ing aching me.
    Any help with finding some parts, and then someone to help me install them is more than I could ask for.
    .. and that's why I bring beer

Quote Originally Posted by TheNavigator View Post
    Hey loosecannon, its a rear dana 44. I said SOA , but meant Coil-over suspension. His old rig had coil overs in the rear. but there is still the factory spring erch mounts.
    I will check out your link right now. Thanks a lot
    I checked the website. Mount looks good. 1/4 plate is much thicker than the factory mounts.
    Do you know if there is any physical retailer who sells these? I have an issue with purchasing things online. I'm more of a cash-in-hand kind of man.

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 6 Days 22 Hrs 22 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 37 Secs
    A little off topic, but did you claim the hit and run? You're still entitled to benefits through your own insurance.
    OF4WD 5982 & 5983

Living out of Jeep between Toronto to Owen Sound
    My Mood
    Tired
    Time Online: 5 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 12 Hrs 46 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 13 Mins 9 Secs
    craveneh,
    so your saying if I can get someone to help me swap in and weld the mounts to the axel, you could help me with the brakes?
    im just a bit confused.
    I can help with the brakes, rad and whatever else but I am not really into swapping the axle outside at this time of year.

I would be glad to do the brakes on the current axles or if you have someone put the other axle in I could do the brakes on it.

Time Online: 3 Wks 3 Days 8 Hrs 17 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins
    Hey Noltz,
    for the front brakes, which between the two would be best? A unit bearing style with slide-over rotor or a Hub & Rotor assembly. (I will admit that I am a bit confused by this.)
    the Hub and Rotor assmbly would be $126 and the Unit bearingon $68. is this right? I think I must not be understanding this properly?

And the rear that I have now is a Dana 35, but the axel I have also is a Dana 44 converted to disks. I think that the disks in the rear would be a much better solution to stopping power, even with new drums in the rear.. ?

No one looked at my brakes. But it was unbelieveably difficult to stop.. i mean the front brakes were doing all the work, I could just tell.
    I haven't driven it for a solid 6 months, and before that (drove it from storage to my new house) it was another good six months.
    You might just need to adjust the actuators on the rear.

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs
    There are 2 different style front axles for your '88. Depending on which ones we find will determine what kind of rotor you need. You don't get to choose .

You say the brakes are hard? Or do they travel really far before it stops?

My Mood
    Drunk
    Time Online: 3 Mths 3 Wks 3 Hrs 8 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Mins 10 Secs
    I checked the website. Mount looks good. 1/4 plate is much thicker than the factory mounts.
    Do you know if there is any physical retailer who sells these? I have an issue with purchasing things online. I'm more of a cash-in-hand kind of man.
    they have a store front in Aruora. address should be on their site. I asure you, you will have no issues with them weither it be online of face to face! Tim and Mike are very well respected here, amd in the jeep comunity as a whole
    KUSS
    Stupid Fukin Nature
    OF4WD# 2660