Thread: Superwinch LP8500 winch

Time Online: 6 Days 45 Mins 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 29 Secs

Thumbs down Superwinch LP8500 winch

To those considering buying this winch...Don't!!

I have one of these, bought it new Sept 1/09 and long story short, it stopped working (sometime between Oct. '09 and last week). (Motor not turning). I had it on my TJ (auto tranny) so obviously I could not submerge my jeep into water or I would cook the tranny...Anyways, took it into London Argo for warranty and they found water inside.. Mind you, I used this winch once to pull out a shrub (nothing fancy) and that was the one and only time. Other than that I am ashamed to say I haven't gone out mudding this year , so therefore I haven't had the chance to use it again and it sat.

Well, London Argo had to get the authorization from a Superwinch warranty company in Markham (410 Marketing..Ph# 1-905-470-6665) to perform the warranty work. The company denied the claim and said it was neglect and lack of servicing that it failed. London Argo notified me, so I decided to give Superwinch Canada(410 Marketing) a call myself.

I talked to "Robbie" and he persistantly blamed me for not servicing the winch and therefore I "neglected" it. I tried to explain to this gentlemen that the seals were on the inside of the motor and there was no way I could service them without opening the motor and voiding my warranty. He then proceeded to read the warranty which states;

"Superwinch, Inc. (“Seller” or “Superwinch”) warrants to the original retail buyer only (“Buyer”) that mechanical components of the genuine SUPERWINCH® Winch Model listed above (“Product”) shall be free from defects in materials and workmanship for (2) two years and electrical components for (1) one year from the provable date of purchase. Any Product Superwinch determines to be defective will be repaired or replaced at Superwinch’s sole discretion without charge to Buyer upon Buyer’s compliance with these procedures. Seller or its Authorized Agent may make reasonable charges for parts and labor
    for repairs not covered by this Limited Warranty. The warranties set forth herein are exclusive and in lieu of all other warranties, whether oral or written, express or implied.

If the seals are in the inside and I used it once, how can it be wear and tear, and my fault? Robbie then proceeded to let me know it is an "entry level winch built in China." I accused him of admitting his products were crap and he denied it.

Long story short, he got upset and hung up. After our 30 minute conversation I waited, and called him back. He told me I was wasting his time and that he had too much work to do, and only listens to his accredited warranty repair depots and not the customers. And once again, told me it was my problem, for driving my jeep in the rain, for buying a cheap winch, and my fault for not servicing it at regular intervals. (He wasn't able to answer when I asked what the suggested regular service intervals were.)

After hanging up on me the second time, I phoned back and talked to a co-worker who claimed Robbie "has stepped out of the office for the day." An hour later I had someone else phone with and inquiry and Robbie had answered the phone.

London Argo unfortunately could not get it warrantied due to the fact they may loose their contract, which in understandable. However, they did explain the brushes had seized, not making contact with the armature, and I could fix it myself. (Not worth paying them their time to free the brushes.) This is my next plan since "warranty" is practically not existent when it comes to a manufacture's defect with this winch.

This is not the only winch (of this model) that has had the same problem. 05Silverbullet on here had the same issue with his. (Not that it would make a difference, but his warranty had run out)

I just caution ANYONE when buying the LP8500.. Don't..you won't get anywhere when it needs warranty work..

(Sorry for the long rant!)
    Last edited by hotlightning_01; 07-19-2010 at 09:18 PM.
    '08 Rubi Unlimited!

Time Online: 3 Mths 1 Wk 3 Days 13 Hrs 46 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 8 Mins 16 Secs
    another story that makes Duncan(and titan winches) sound better and better.
    currently building a toyota. i'm sorry.

Haha exactly!

Time Online: 6 Days 15 Hrs 57 Mins 29 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 32 Secs
    Mine has been on for about 4 months or so, no cover, sits out in the rain, jeep is stored outside, and I have dunked it 4 times now, once with the entire winch not even visible. Works fine, there was a recall regarding this on the
    older 8500 due to water getting the motor.
    Certainly not a top of the line winch but for the $300 I paid for it it pulls just fine.

I had my 8274 listed here for sale as the LP8500 works well enough that it didn't seem worth it to rework my bumper to get the 8274 mounted.
    Last edited by jonzer12; 07-19-2010 at 09:11 PM.
    2000 XJ 6" lift,strongbox+dana 300, 35 MTR Kevlars, 8.8 swap, lockers.

Ya they gave me a hassle for not having a cover..told me that was part of the "neglect"..Going to pick it up, rebuild it myself and silicone the living jesus out of it, and use it until it dies!

My Mood
    Happy
    Time Online: 3 Mths 2 Days 4 Hrs 33 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 34 Secs
    ouch, this sucks, i open mine up in a regular basis and check everything is dry, then re silicone everything, mines a champion but so far its been uncovered sence 3 days after i got the winch when someone stole my cover
    If its a mechanical device i can fix it

markr1001 That is exactly what I am going to do when I get it back..buy a bunch of di-electric grease or a gallon of vaseline and coat everything, and silicone anywhere water can get in. If warranty won't do anything for me now , then I may as well rip her apart!

Time Online: 35 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online: N/A

I had an identical experience.

Quote Originally Posted by hotlightning_01 View Post
    To those considering buying this winch...Don't!!

I have one of these, bought it new Sept 1/09 and long story short, it stopped working (sometime between Oct. '09 and last week). (Motor not turning). I had it on my TJ (auto tranny) so obviously I could not submerge my jeep into water or I would cook the tranny...Anyways, took it into London Argo for warranty and they found water inside.. Mind you, I used this winch once to pull out a shrub (nothing fancy) and that was the one and only time. Other than that I am ashamed to say I haven't gone out mudding this year , so therefore I haven't had the chance to use it again and it sat.

Well, London Argo had to get the authorization from a Superwinch warranty company in Markham (410 Marketing..Ph# 1-905-470-6665) to perform the warranty work. The company denied the claim and said it was neglect and lack of servicing that it failed. London Argo notified me, so I decided to give Superwinch Canada(410 Marketing) a call myself.

I talked to "Robbie" and he persistantly blamed me for not servicing the winch and therefore I "neglected" it. I tried to explain to this gentlemen that the seals were on the inside of the motor and there was no way I could service them without opening the motor and voiding my warranty. He then proceeded to read the warranty which states;

"Superwinch, Inc. (“Seller” or “Superwinch”) warrants to the original retail buyer only (“Buyer”) that mechanical components of the genuine SUPERWINCH® Winch Model listed above (“Product”) shall be free from defects in materials and workmanship for (2) two years and electrical components for (1) one year from the provable date of purchase. Any Product Superwinch determines to be defective will be repaired or replaced at Superwinch’s sole discretion without charge to Buyer upon Buyer’s compliance with these procedures. Seller or its Authorized Agent may make reasonable charges for parts and labor
    for repairs not covered by this Limited Warranty. The warranties set forth herein are exclusive and in lieu of all other warranties, whether oral or written, express or implied.

If the seals are in the inside and I used it once, how can it be wear and tear, and my fault? Robbie then proceeded to let me know it is an "entry level winch built in China." I accused him of admitting his products were crap and he denied it.

Long story short, he got upset and hung up. After our 30 minute conversation I waited, and called him back. He told me I was wasting his time and that he had too much work to do, and only listens to his accredited warranty repair depots and not the customers. And once again, told me it was my problem, for driving my jeep in the rain, for buying a cheap winch, and my fault for not servicing it at regular intervals. (He wasn't able to answer when I asked what the suggested regular service intervals were.)

After hanging up on me the second time, I phoned back and talked to a co-worker who claimed Robbie "has stepped out of the office for the day." An hour later I had someone else phone with and inquiry and Robbie had answered the phone.

London Argo unfortunately could not get it warrantied due to the fact they may loose their contract, which in understandable. However, they did explain the brushes had seized, not making contact with the armature, and I could fix it myself. (Not worth paying them their time to free the brushes.) This is my next plan since "warranty" is practically not existent when it comes to a manufacture's defect with this winch.

This is not the only winch (of this model) that has had the same problem. 05Silverbullet on here had the same issue with his. (Not that it would make a difference, but his warranty had run out)

I just caution ANYONE when buying the LP8500.. Don't..you won't get anywhere when it needs warranty work..

(Sorry for the long rant!)
    You (hotlightning) explained word for word what happened with my LP8500. Mine was dropped upside-down during shipping to argo of london and the solenoid cover was completly destroyed, and the steel base that holds the solenoids was bent out of shape. Robbie says I broke it, yet it was intact when I shipped it out from canadian tire (who i am still going after for a replacement since it is now three times as broken as it was). Wish I would Have read your story before i bought the winch.

My Mood
    Confused
    Time Online: 2 Yrs 1 Mth 3 Wks 3 Days 21 Hrs 34 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Hr 4 Mins 31 Secs
    superwinch US based or Canadian based??this robbie you talked too sounds like an a-hole ,guess i am glad that i did not buy one from them, i might have driven to there office and throwing it in the front window for screwing me over
    http://www.youtube.com/user/piratexpress1369a
    96 ZJ 4.0L 33x15 BFG'S

OF4WD#5926

http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...sket+placement

IN LOVING MEMORY ..DAYKOTA
    PIRATES NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT HIS BOAT..

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 37 Secs
    It's US, according to their website.

This is an old thread, but is still valid. Perhaps someone should contact London Argo and let them know that Titan builds a better backed, better quality unit than Superwinch... and perhaps they should be the ones to call Superwinch and say "you're not going to support our customers? F-You, we won't sell your products."
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

When I brought mine to London Argo I assumed they would fix it under warranty, however they were the ones who said it was "abused".. Their definition of abused was that I did not have a cover. Since then, I have been working on mine, hopefully to get it working.. In the meantime, really considering one of those Titan winches!!

My Mood
    Happy
    Time Online: 3 Mths 2 Days 4 Hrs 33 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 34 Secs
    i will be buying a titan when mine dies, im gonna take the motor apart on my champion in the spring to check everything out, but so far its workin good and has been more then abused in the 3 years i have had it....

My Mood
    Cool
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 1 Day 7 Hrs 51 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 43 Secs
    I have had a real SuperWinch(not one of the Crapaniese ones that C.T sells) for over 4 years...its been abused...neglected...fawk I've lifted fullsize Chebys up to help them change a tire and have had it under water more times than I can count.....I previously had 3 "Champion" winches before the SuperWinch(mine is the epi9000 or something like that)...and when the last Champion left me fawked over on a trail(thank god I never wheel alone) I said no more...took it back to CostCo and they gave me my money(3 in 8months was enough) and walked accross the street to P.A(kingston) and used that money and made up the difference on the SuperWinch....

I'm not saying anything other than you do tend to get what you pay for....I wouldn't buy one of those SuperWinches either from C.T(or wherever you got it)....I got nothing against Duncans Winches either....he stands behind his shiet which is why i would buy from him if my SuperWinch ever gave up the ghost...Quality is Quality...and by the sound of it this place that you bought it from is a buncha Douchers(hey I don't know them but if they are selling and servicing equipment like that and not backin up what they sell by hiding behind a "Abuse" claim..I wouldn't buy so much as a stamp from them....ITS A FAWKIN WINCH.....ITS MENT TO TAKE ABUSE...and WATER...WTF...lmao...I've never had a cover on my winch....NEVER....andmy rig ain't no princess...it sitting outside now with about 6inches of snow on it beggin me to go out wheeling...lol

So...don't know where I was goin with this other than to say I have a SuperWinch...and mine is great...I've heard some horror stories myself about that C.T winch....and if you notice now the one c.T sells doesn't even say SuperWinch on it....it says Certified or something.....lol

All of the major suppliers of winches are doing this now for entry level winches
    (correct me if I'm wrong in this list....cause I'm just goin of the top of my head without lookin stuff up)
    Tabour is entry level Warn
    then SuperWinch has entry level(such as the one in this thread)
    MileMarker has a entrylevel(can't remember the name)
    So on and so on...

Anyways good luck with your stuff...hope you get it fixed...and if it breaks again and you can't get it workin or can't justify spending coin on it go see Duncan....
    They call me Monkey cause I'm the silver back of the bunch
    87 XJ Lifted with stuff(Zombie Apocalypse Edition)
    87 YJ Lifted with stuff(Wifes)Mall Edition
    99 Ram Toy Hauler Edition
    OF4WD Member 5275 www.4-lo.ca

Time Online: 52 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A

Hello hotlightning_01

Hello hotlightning_01 and other bloggers,

I’ am truly sorry for your dissatisfaction with the experience of the Superwinch products and service but the honest truth is that we go by what our service depots advise us. So if we are told that the winch has been abused or neglected then we go by what they advise us otherwise there would be no point in having these repair centers in place to assist us in finding out whether the claim is reasonable or not. And for both these particular claims our technicians found that they had both gone beyond the outline warranty. As for the part of the warranty you outlined here is the rest that you left out.

“This warranty does not apply to defects in any Product caused by: (1) normal wear and tear; (2) failure to comply with any installation, operation or maintenance instructions provided by Superwinch including but not limited to subjecting the Product to loads in excess of the load listed in the Owner’s Manual or instructions for the particular Product and model number; (3) commercial or industrial use; (4) alteration or modification by parties other than Superwinch; (5) misuse, abuse, neglect, accident, Acts of God or terrorism; or (6) other causes beyond the control of Superwinch after delivery of the Product by Superwinch to its authorized distributor.”

The reason I was forced to end my conversation with hotlightning_01 which had only actually happened once was because in our conversation he had become rowdy and unreasonable yelling at me telling me to “shut up” more than once. Not only did he become unreasonable but he persistently called me at my place of work and harassed me to “just warranty the unit and no one will know”, which I refused to do because I did not want to risk the relationship we have with our supplier Superwinch. In any situation where we are faced with reasonable claims from customers we are more than happy to help the customer get their units repaired/replaced and returned to them as best we can. In the end the one thing that both customers forgot to tell you is that they still both got a credit/reparation for their units.

robbie_superwinch

Time Online: 1 Yr 3 Mths 2 Wks 5 Days 4 Hrs 52 Mins 56 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 38 Mins 58 Secs
    i've used my superwinch 8500 for three seasons and it's never let me down once
    WHAT WOULD MACGYVER DO?

2004 rubicon: 12,000 lb titan winch, 35" goodyear wranglers, staang's belly-up skid, cobra 29 cb, highline fenders, trailhead bumpers

http://www.youtube.com/user/onehosereh#p/u

VA3 HWG, OF4WD #5571, RETREAD #1

My Mood
    Cool
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 1 Day 7 Hrs 51 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 43 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by robbie_superwinch View Post
    Hello hotlightning_01 and other bloggers,

I’ am truly sorry for your dissatisfaction with the experience of the Superwinch products and service but the honest truth is that we go by what our service depots advise us. So if we are told that the winch has been abused or neglected then we go by what they advise us otherwise there would be no point in having these repair centers in place to assist us in finding out whether the claim is reasonable or not. And for both these particular claims our technicians found that they had both gone beyond the outline warranty. As for the part of the warranty you outlined here is the rest that you left out.

“This warranty does not apply to defects in any Product caused by: (1) normal wear and tear; (2) failure to comply with any installation, operation or maintenance instructions provided by Superwinch including but not limited to subjecting the Product to loads in excess of the load listed in the Owner’s Manual or instructions for the particular Product and model number; (3) commercial or industrial use; (4) alteration or modification by parties other than Superwinch; (5) misuse, abuse, neglect, accident, Acts of God or terrorism; or (6) other causes beyond the control of Superwinch after delivery of the Product by Superwinch to its authorized distributor.”

The reason I was forced to end my conversation with hotlightning_01 which had only actually happened once was because in our conversation he had become rowdy and unreasonable yelling at me telling me to “shut up” more than once. Not only did he become unreasonable but he persistently called me at my place of work and harassed me to “just warranty the unit and no one will know”, which I refused to do because I did not want to risk the relationship we have with our supplier Superwinch. In any situation where we are faced with reasonable claims from customers we are more than happy to help the customer get their units repaired/replaced and returned to them as best we can. In the end the one thing that both customers forgot to tell you is that they still both got a credit/reparation for their units.

robbie_superwinch
    I call fake...lol.....good joke though...lol

Haha Lowrad! With you on that one.. can't say I will ever recommend Superwinch to any of my wheeling buddies.. although, within the last few days I have actually managed to get my Superwinch working (as my original post dates back to July of 2010).. too bad it will be up for sale..Superwinch has lost my support or business.. Can't wait to get a Titan!!