Thread: dana 300 problem

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Wk 9 Hrs 9 Mins 8 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 36 Secs

dana 300 problem

Getting the rig ready to load on my trailer and never had a time where I put it in 2wd Hi before, so I thought I'd take it for a rip down the street. When I put my dana300 in rear high, or front high, or 4hi it is jammed up. It shifts in and out fine, but just bogs the engine down and doesn't try to move the jeep. Low works fine. I don't have much time to tear things apart an evaluate the problem as I'm gettin ready to load on the trailer.
    Was working fine before I tried driving it.
    If I put it in hi and leave tranny in neutral I can't even push the jeep. The t case just locks up solid when in high.

Hoping someone has had this prob before or a good suggestion?
    It's making a complete shift, and the rails are moving smoothly. Hope I don't have to spwnd the entire weekend in low
    79 GMC K2500 converted shortbox stepside K3500, 454 BBC, SM465l, Dana60/14b w 4.56,
    2005 F250 on 35's DD

Time Online: 9 Mths 1 Wk 1 Day 10 Hrs 18 Mins 52 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Mins 53 Secs
    I assume you have twin sticked the T-case?

sounds like one of the shift fork set screws is loose or not in the detent. the rails maybe moving but the gear is not. you could pull the drive shafts or jack it up and see which one is in 1 to 1 and which one is in low.

My Mood
    Twisted
    that makes sense. The rail not moving the fork. Ya, it's home built twin stick, and has AA 32spline outputs in it.
    When I tested it before (and I know it was working) I didn't have a rear yoke on it. I tested it after installing the 32 spline outputs though

Time Online: 9 Mths 1 Wk 1 Day 10 Hrs 18 Mins 52 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Mins 53 Secs
    pull the bottom cover plate and look to see that the shift forks are actually moving the gear couplings into positions, sounds like one output is stuck in low.

My Mood
    Twisted
    ok, pulled it. Both shift forks moving with the rails, but the rear shift fork is only moving half as far as it should in both directions. So the rear shift collar is only enguaging half way on the gear in high and low. Front is enguaging completely.

Can't think of why it would only move half way. Could be cause I want to get it on the trail and I can't think right

My Mood
    Twisted
    so, ripped it all apart before loading. Seems the low range gear for the rear output is seized to my AA 32 spline output shaft. So even in rear neutral, it's stuck in low. Nothing seems to free it. I can spin my 38's on pavement with both t case shifters in neutral, and it wont pop free. It was spinning freely when I installed it. Anyone ever had this problem before? We'll see what a weekend of wheelin in neutral does to it

Time Online: 58 Mins 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    So, how did the wheelin trip go? Just realized I have the same problem.
    I pulled the inspection plate off, both shift collars are in the neutral position and I am still in low. Was the shaft messed up or the gear? What was your fix?

My Mood
    Twisted
    shaft and gear was ruined.... AA deemed that shaft at fault and sent me a new output kit and sold me 4:1 tera gears and a rebuild kit for there cost, but it took 8 months. I had to heat the gear and use a 30 ton press to get the shaft out of the gear

Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Hr 26 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 9 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by BLACKnBLUE View Post
    Getting the rig ready to load on my trailer and never had a time where I put it in 2wd Hi before, so I thought I'd take it for a rip down the street. When I put my dana300 in rear high, or front high, or 4hi it is jammed up. It shifts in and out fine, but just bogs the engine down and doesn't try to move the jeep. Low works fine. I don't have much time to tear things apart an evaluate the problem as I'm gettin ready to load on the trailer.
    Was working fine before I tried driving it.
    If I put it in hi and leave tranny in neutral I can't even push the jeep. The t case just locks up solid when in high.

Hoping someone has had this prob before or a good suggestion?
    It's making a complete shift, and the rails are moving smoothly. Hope I don't have to spwnd the entire weekend in low
    A D300 doesn't have the gear selections that you're mentioning. One stick/shift rail is for the front and the other is for the rear output, so for each output you get Hi, Neutral, and Lo - to get 4 Hi for example, you need both sticks in the Hi position. If you've been trying to use it like an NP231, you'll destroy something - transfer case gears, drive shaft, diff.....

My Mood
    Twisted
    I'm quite farmiliar with how the shifting works thanks.... not what my orginal question was... last year. And yes, I do have all the gear selections I mentioned.

Anyways.... problem was the low range gear was seized on the advnaced adapters output shaft, ruined the gear and the shaft. Advance adapters said it was a material flaw in there shaft and sent me a new 32spline kit and sold me the 4:1 gear set for there cost.

FYI, I have 4hi, 4 low, rear high, rear low, front high, front low and neutral

Time Online: 5 Mths 6 Days 18 Mins 19 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 49 Secs
    did you ever get this prob solved? i've got a d300 going into my yj and was thinking about doing this upgrade ..
    and "Alfons" read up on a twin stick 300 ...

My Mood
    Drunk
    Time Online: 3 Mths 3 Wks 3 Hrs 8 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Mins 8 Secs
    yes, its the tcase i just rebuilt. it turned out to be a faulty AA out put shaft.
    KUSS
    Stupid Fukin Nature
    OF4WD# 2660