Thread: Budget Upgrades: ZJ Tie Rod Upgrade

My Mood
    Blah
    Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Day 2 Hrs 43 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 14 Secs

Budget Upgrades: ZJ Tie Rod Upgrade

I just finished installing the ZJ V8 tie rod this afternoon polishing the turd
    To anyone who hasn't done this mod... DO IT. I don't notice much of a difference driving down a smooth straight road, where this thing rocks is the pot holes and speed bumps

No more steering wheel movement and no risk of breaking my thumbs
    Before if I had my hands off the wheel and hit a section of bumps the bloody thing would steer all over the place. This characteristic is now gone for good (fingers crossed)

I was surprised how much the factory XJ/TJ tie rod bends and twists without much force... I never bent mine but I know many who have... upgrade and keep the old junk for a trail spare

No pics since I'm lazy... but here is someones write up from a long time ago for those that don't know what they are replacing
    http://www.itsatj.com/ZJTieRod.htm

Ahhhh some people just never grow up, but that's Okay; our world needs people like you to add comedy in our lives

Time Online: 1 Wk 3 Days 4 Hrs 21 Mins 22 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 50 Secs
    Did this mod myself 2 years ago after bending the stock factory junk. Just took it off a Grand Cherokee at the local auto wreckers. Wheeled the hell out of it with 33"s for a year, and now with 35"s on it. Have put it in lots of places where I'd swear I should have bent it. And all is still good. And the great thing is that unlike the systems you have to order from aftermarket companies, if I need to replace any part of it, I can just go into any autoparts store, and get the parts, because they are 100% stock for the ZJ with the V8.

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Day 19 Hrs 44 Mins 43 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 5 Secs
    I would be tempted to recommend this instead of the Currie/Rugged Ridge systems.

I bent my stock tie-rod and bought the Rugged Ridge setup to replace it. It's nice and strong, but the tie-rod hangs down so low I've bent it more than the stock just from rock impacts. Not to mention that the slop in the tie-rod ends needs to be addressed by a poly spacer (or 2).

I've bent the $%#@$%^ tie-rod on my rugged ridge setup AGAIN just messing around in my yard, I'm very tempted to just price out the V8 ZJ tie-rod and replace the RR setup.
    "If it's not broke, your not trying"
    -Red Green

2000 TJ, 3.5" RE Superflex lift, 1" coil spacers in front, 35" Mickey Thompson MTZs, 9500lb winch, Super 30/35 front/rear e-lockers, newly re-installed (and straightned) HD Rugged Ridge tierod and draglink

Card carrying member of Team Red. Or would be if we had cards.....

My Mood
    Blah
    That is exactly why I went with my setup. Inverted T sucks... tried it on someones vehicle, don't like it. Poly spacers are a band aid fix. Currie is nice and strong but lifetime warranty and non-custom parts won hands down in my book. Plus the TRE @ the pitman arm and the Drivers side knuckle are the same, thus I am cutting down on spares

Time Online: 5 Mths 19 Hrs 40 Mins 6 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 24 Secs
    Is there a price list to accompany?

My Mood
    Blah
    For TRE, Tie Rod and adjusting sleeve (premium)
    Currently on sale, will set you back $193 taxes in