Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tranny cross member on 88 YJ help!

Time Online: 2 Days 7 Hrs 54 Mins 22 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Secs

Tranny cross member on 88 YJ help!

This could be a totaly off the wall question for alot of you out there but im just trying to make sense of what I was told by previous owner of my rig. The tranny on my 88 YJ is not bolted to the custom made cross member that was added on during the 3 link coil build it had done. So its pretty much just floating there, holes dont line up too well and the guy I bought it from said dont even bother putting the bolts in cause with the 40" tires and the dana 300 it can shear them off. So he suggested that some just use a rachet strap over the tranny and crank it down to the crossmember to hold it in place. If this is legit, and can be done for the time being, without me destroying or causing damage to my rig, let me know.

Thanks Chris

My Mood
    Happy
    Time Online: 3 Mths 2 Days 4 Hrs 33 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 34 Secs
    it will work but not well... it can slide... plus its a half assed fix... temp is fine but dont keep it that way
    If its a mechanical device i can fix it

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 6 Days 18 Hrs 37 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 10 Secs
    NO NO NO NO NO !!!!!!!!!!!

Do it right dood! The strap thing is total ghetto bullshit booty hack.

There is no reason you cant build a proper cross member and bolt that shit up tight.
    CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!
    DINGA DING DANG, MY DANGA LONG LING LONG
    OF4WD#5576
    BOOYAH!!!

Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Hr 26 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 9 Secs
    A few pictures would help in seeing your problems. You say that some bolts don't line up and that you have a D300. If the 300 is flipped, the bolts won't line up - you need an adapter for it (I have a write-up on adding a flipped D300 to an AX15 and how to avoid some common issues - do a search for it on this site). Leaving the misaligned holes without bolts or dragging the holes will lead to a very weak connection. You will still need an adapter (aka clocking ring) even if the 300 is the right way - you need a spacer or without it, you need to cut a shaft to get both the 300 and the AX 15 to come together.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 4 Wks 1 Day 7 Hrs 16 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 24 Secs
    Previous owner is an idiot. I would go over the whole truck to make sure other stuff isn't "just sitting" or strapped down.

Sounds like you need to make a proper transmission mount on the crossmember. Post a pic and we should be able to point you in the best direction.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Wk 9 Hrs 9 Mins 8 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 36 Secs
    if you run just a retchet strap, the torque from the t case will eventually cause your transmission housing to crack
    79 GMC K2500 converted shortbox stepside K3500, 454 BBC, SM465l, Dana60/14b w 4.56,
    2005 F250 on 35's DD

Ha ha yea I thought the sounds of the whole rachet strap thing seemed way to hack job for a serious rig like this one. Im working on borrowing a digital camera so I can get some pics on here to show you guys, thanks for the quick advice so I didnt go make a huge expensive mistake lol. Hope to have those pics up in a day or two, thanks agian all.

Hey guys finally got some pics for yea to look at, there not that great camera was big and not alot of room to get good angles. You can see in a couple of the pics the gap between the crossmember and the tranny and the holes dont line up that well, guy at work suggested using a come-along to pull tranny over a bit to get bolts in holes with a peice of steel for a spacer to fill gap. But that still doesnt solve the problem of the dana 300 not being supported, all that weight and torque still rests on the tranny housing.

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

Well aparentley I suck at computer too cause I cant get these dam pics to upload into one of my albums, now I need help with that lol, geeeeez.

Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Hr 26 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 9 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by tuffjeep View Post
    Hey guys finally got some pics for yea to look at, there not that great camera was big and not alot of room to get good angles. You can see in a couple of the pics the gap between the crossmember and the tranny and the holes dont line up that well, guy at work suggested using a come-along to pull tranny over a bit to get bolts in holes with a peice of steel for a spacer to fill gap. But that still doesnt solve the problem of the dana 300 not being supported, all that weight and torque still rests on the tranny housing.

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

Well aparentley I suck at computer too cause I cant get these dam pics to upload into one of my albums, now I need help with that lol, geeeeez.
    The most common problem in uploading pictures to this as well as other sites is that the pictures are too big. You can use the Windows program called Paint to shrink them to an acceptable size and make sure that you save the result as a .jpg file. If you know someone that's handy with this process, just email the pictures to them & have them send you the smaller, acceptable pics back to you for uploading to this site. I can probably do it for you if you wish, let me know & I'll send you my email address.

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 6 Days 5 Hrs 38 Mins 38 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 7 Secs
    Could be wrong but i dont think you want to just hard bolt the tranny to the cross member you should have a rubber mount if you can

Time Online: 19 Hrs 36 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Secs
    Previous owner is an idiot. I would go over the whole truck to make sure other stuff isn't "just sitting" or strapped down
    ya nice coment whrn you no nothing about the truck mouth piece. how many 1 ton YJs have you built?? another clown talking out your ass

For the record, I explained the cross member needs to be replaced, and the plan was to run this back to the D300 and support that as well as the trani, if you look at the sale thread you will see this is posted there as well

The D300 was flipped properly adding a 3/4 ring to the bottom, completly rebuit with a clocking ring, and attached to a TF999

This is why the site has gone so far down hill, a bunch of no it alls making comments when they have no idea what there talking about.

He got the truck for $3700 a steal for this truck, and was well aware it needed some work, you guys kill me

heres the thread,

Built 88 YJ for sale
    88YJ, Ford Dana 60s F&R, rear boared Yukon D70 shafts, rear full spool, 5.38 gearing, flipped cable twin stick D300, TF999 vented for deep water, 1/8" steel diamond plate body, 8" TJ coils 4 link rear 3 link front all 2.5" 1/4 wall DOM with cast johny joints, 39.5 swampers, F350 master cylinder, fuel cell, disks all around.

needs trani crossmember installed and carb, includes 3 carbs, 2 carter 1 Ford 2100, spare master cyl.

did not need the carb as I gave him a new Holly Offroad Avenger with it
    Last edited by oro rock crawler; 08-26-2010 at 01:30 PM. Reason: addition

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Oro, got your PM. My response is below since it addresses what this thread needs and I didn't want to type it twice on my phone.

Hi Fred,

I had to read this about 10 times to figure out what it was about.

Are you talking about the YJ driveline with nothing but a ratchet strap holding the transmission/tcase in place on the crossmember?

There is a reason that transmissions are mounted to crossmembers (in all vehicles) with bushings (of a similar durability to the motor mounts).

The vibration and twisting of the driveline on a either a hard mount or a ratchet strap would either shear the hard mount bolts or other bolts along the driveline.

You know that this is normal in any driveline application Fred, and frankly I'm surprised that someone with your skill in building that nice YJ would have suggested just a ratchet strap.

If the transmission was mounted properly, and you were only talking about the stress on the 300, you shouldve recommended he make another crossmember and add a tail support with bushing (self fabbed or TMR makes a nice one).

Either way, what you told the guy was a pure booty fab and you know it. Its funny that after all the dirt some of the swampers threw at Curt for his work, that you would rip me as a representation of Jeepkings for calling out your work.

If it was purely the idiot comment that upset you then I apologize for that.

Have a good day,

Dave

And if you're wondering, we met at one of your halloween parties awhile back.

My Mood
    Twisted
    I'm a little confused as to what the issue is here. Is there a tranny mount in place? The stock mount for a 999/32rh will work just fine. Are you worried about the 300 hanging off the back of the tranny? I see that as a non issue if that is the case.

oh yeah, relax Freddy, and GFYS if you are going to make blanket derogatory remarks about "Guys" on this site.

Time Online: 1 Day 6 Mins 52 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Secs
    Hey why don't y'all go over to buddys place rip the axles and tires off the yj. Then sell them for 6gs. Since you guys are so smart it will only take ya an hour. Then you can all rent a room in Niagara Falls for the night and gfys's.
    "Barrie SWAMPER"
    "Mud Dawgs of North Hastings County"
    SYL81
    http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...BF72BBC6CD345E
    Eating dirt sucks, so being a dirt eater is likely a waste of time.

My Mood
    Twisted
    ^Gibberish^

Can we get back on topic? I'm curious as to the actual problem at hand here.

Fred I had no intentions of any of this going on, I was just looking for a little help/advice into getting this wicked rig up and running. Its to bad it all had to unfold like this over a couple comments made by others, just for the record I was purely looking for help and suggested only what you had told me, I wasnt trying to single anyone out or make false comments. I knew perfectly well there was work to be done, Im new to all this so its taking me alot of question asking to get anywhere.

Crabshaver I dont really appreciate that comment about coming to my home and taking my property like that, I know you have alot more "pull" on this site then myself but seriously was that called for? We all work hard for what we have and the thought of anything like that happening is very frustrating. I hope it was in joking terms.

Shrek Thanks for still being the one interested in my thread, theres is a slight gap of about 1/2" between the custom crossmember and the tranny. Yes there has to be a rubber mount put in there, but there holes dont quite line up so well, maybe easily fixed with a big pry bar lol. My main concern is the Dana300 just being held in place by the tranny housing, due to the weight and torque of things this should def be supported some way. Any ideas/links to possible designs of other cross members people have made for this issue?

Thanks Chris

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Day 31 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 14 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by SHREK View Post
    ^Gibberish^

Can we get back on topic? I'm curious as to the actual problem at hand here.
    The real problem is people not listening and / or understanding. Oro was very clear what was needed, and that he should only strap it in short term to move in driveway or on/off a trailer.

Quit with the name calling, fuk'n grow up girls. I'm a buddy of Oro's ... Won't deny it. Because of that I know what was put into this rig and the "heart and soul" too,

I am disgusted in the reckless comments of previous owner being "an idiot", "booty fab" and "hack job", hell Loose you have not even seen the jeep pictures ... You just "assume" you know the whole story. Loose we've met a couple of times, I really expected more of you, sorry man but I ain't got the same respect for you I had before.

I'm not a fancy fab guy or builder, but I do know when a guy is getting kicked in the nads and it's uncalled for.
    Newmarket Swamper

OF4WD Member # 5246

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Seriously guys, read the first post again, pause, and read it once more.

Quote Originally Posted by tuffjeep View Post
    This could be a totaly off the wall question for alot of you out there but im just trying to make sense of what I was told by previous owner of my rig. The tranny on my 88 YJ is not bolted to the custom made cross member that was added on during the 3 link coil build it had done. So its pretty much just floating there, holes dont line up too well and the guy I bought it from said dont even bother putting the bolts in cause with the 40" tires and the dana 300 it can shear them off. So he suggested that some just use a rachet strap over the tranny and crank it down to the crossmember to hold it in place. If this is legit, and can be done for the time being, without me destroying or causing damage to my rig, let me know.

Thanks Chris

Now read my response

Quote Originally Posted by loosecannon View Post
    Previous owner is an idiot. I would go over the whole truck to make sure other stuff isn't "just sitting" or strapped down.

Sounds like you need to make a proper transmission mount on the crossmember. Post a pic and we should be able to point you in the best direction.

Honestly guys, it doesn't matter if Fred sold this truck, or if I sold this truck, the way it's posted my advice stands.

Now, Fred says it went down differently, cool, great...did the guy get a steal on the truck? of course, never questioned. But read the posts. I typed a quick response and shot from the hip based on what I read.

You guys are way too wrapped up over the word idiot. I already apologized for the word, not the opinion on the fix, and am not going to get run through the mud over this. I didn't ask Fred to apologize for calling me a ****head in PM, nor did I post it, nor did I ask for an explanation of the posts on dirteaters ripping me back.

If you can't forgive me for calling him an idiot, I feel bad for your wives and kids.

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

Sorry BBD for cluttering your board with this junk.
    Last edited by loosecannon; 08-26-2010 at 10:13 PM.

Time Online: 3 Days 8 Hrs 52 Mins 56 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 16 Secs
    I have my tranny and tcase ratchet strapped in too. It's called a trail fix.
    It got busted junk home from the trail.

How long has that been running around like that for?
    That's disgusting.

Don't drive it like that Tuffjeep, and I have to agree, check the rest of the jeep over for safety sake.
    PitBoyz
    OF4WD #3203
    1978 CJ7, 350 EFI, T18, D20, D60/D60, 5.13s, Detroit/welded, 38" TSLs, Hummer H1 rims w/beadlocks, SOA on RE springs
    If I wanted serious, I'd be at work.

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 2 Mins 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 5 Secs
    Make sure u use yellow ratchet straps cuz people who use red ones are idiots.

Now lets see the pics and then yer question could be answered.

We did a full belly up on the Loosecannon build with aw4 and d300, using an independent trans mount and a full driveline skid, so u can remove skid and service both tcase n trans without having to touch mount. maybe that gives u some ideas
    Strength is nothing more than how well you hide the pain

Yer hot, wet, and extremely satisfying. You always put a smile on my face and yer the first thing i want in my mouth when i wake up....aaaaaahhhhhh Coffee, my only friend.