Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tranny cross member on 88 YJ help!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Day 31 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 14 Secs
    The assumptions just don't stop here do they ???

Paul it's been running around his driveway like that for the last year and half, nowhere else. Loose, my point was that you based your comments on what the OP put up, shooting from the hip ain't always accurate when you don't know what the real target should be. Shrek .... did he "broadbrush" in his comment or did you "broadbrush" the way you took it ? GFYS = Good For You Shrek ? Tuffjeep ... Crabshaver did not say he was gonna come over, re-read ... he suggested your friends here should come over and help you remove the axles with you.

As for checking the whole rig out ... Tuffjeep should !! Everyone should check over thier rigs completely before wheeling it, maybe not every trip but after every few trips ..... and especially after you just purchased one that is a trail rig like this one .... it's not rocket science fella's.

Mods/Admin ... I will shut up now, said my peace, won't clutter any further either.
    Last edited by WranglerIV; 08-26-2010 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Added comment to Tuffjeep
    Newmarket Swamper

OF4WD Member # 5246

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 23 Hrs 45 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 4 Secs
    Another idea (limited experience, so please take it with a grain of salt, an extra large piece because I haven't seen a piccy)...

You mentioned that the current crossmember is part of the suspension link system, which in my humble opinion isn't something I'd mess too much with. If you'd like to leave it as is, you could get a generic aftermarket transmission mount, attach it to the tranny, drill & reinforce the new holes (weld in fender washers, double thick &/or flat stock to make it nice and thick!) and then weld flat stock over the old mounting holes.

Quote Originally Posted by MayhemInc View Post
    We did a full belly up on the Loosecannon build with aw4 and d300, using an independent trans mount and a full driveline skid, so u can remove skid and service both tcase n trans without having to touch mount. maybe that gives u some ideas
    Or do something like this, which sounds frickin' sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by MayhemInc View Post
    Make sure u use yellow ratchet straps cuz people who use red ones are idiots.
    Is this only when used in structural applications? Or when suspending large heavy objects? 'Cause, the red ones match the colour of my Jeep, and make me look thinner.

If I was a Jeep, they'd have parted me out a LONG time ago.

I'm a proud member of SOXJA ask me why!

Krawlerz team member too!

OF4WD Member # 5027

Time Online: 1 Day 6 Mins 52 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Secs
    Hey Tuff that was a joke. I know that vehicle well as I have 'pulled' it and have been 'pulled' by it. I was trying to educate the throat cutters that the value of the truck is worth more then a mount in itself and perhaps they should know that the jeep was sold on here and we all know who bought it and sold it. You got a good deal, but to call someone an idiot without getting the whole story is a game that needed a nice comment in return. But if you have a hard time with it I would suggest running a pipe sling over a rubber mount. Real simple and strong. With a decent break point. Plus it saves on weight as well.
    "Barrie SWAMPER"
    "Mud Dawgs of North Hastings County"
    SYL81
    http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...BF72BBC6CD345E
    Eating dirt sucks, so being a dirt eater is likely a waste of time.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 6 Days 18 Hrs 37 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 11 Secs
    The real problem is people not listening and / or understanding. Oro was very clear what was needed, and that he should only strap it in short term to move in driveway or on/off a trailer.
    I didn't think it was clear at all, oh well, doesn't matter.

If you are worried about a secondary mount for the back of the 300, I would say it's a non issue. The stock mount as long as its in good shape will be fine. If done improperly a second mount can do more harm than good, and is really unnecessary anyway for your application.
    CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!
    DINGA DING DANG, MY DANGA LONG LING LONG
    OF4WD#5576
    BOOYAH!!!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Day 31 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 14 Secs
    POSTING ON BEHALF OF ORO .... who's been restricted from posting:
    ************************************************** **********************************************
    Hey TuffJeep sorry about this, I know your new and need some help, sorry if you misunderstood me when talking, it was hard to see it go and may have led you astray unintentionally, I apologize, its in my head what to do like making my morning cereal I guess telling you how to was mixed up, but regardless, here is some sound advice from a person that built a 1 ton truck, start to finish including re-gear, boring axles and rebuilt full flip d300 just to start.

I was kicked of the site, ha ha finally, in the old days(old owner) we could bicker etc. shake hands and end it, the fun days of JK when men were men so to speak. So I cant post myself I asked WranglerIV to help.

You need to build a new cross member, use the same dimension for the front 3rd link attachment point, the link is adjustable at the johnny joint so as long as you are close 1/4"-1/2" in length. Look at some build pics on sites like Pirate and see how they have run the cross member to support the D300 as well, drill new holes for the trani in the cross member, and please also rig up a large ratchet strap over the trani- fab up some d-ring style to hold it, this will ensure the 2 weak bolts holding the trani is not all you are counting on to hold it down as its only aluminum housing and cant be trusted on its own with a 1 ton rig(thats getto) so avoid the advise to only use a stock mount, also you need a rubber spacer, hit princess auto and see what will work for this, the boat trailer ones are a nice rubber to use. You see how the skid plate is knotched for the cross member just make it larger to suit the new one.

Your fab skill will grow as you go, you have a great rig, it yanked many of trucks off the trail and went back in to get the others.

Dont worry about the peanut gallery here, if you need some sound advice from guys that have fabricated since kids talk to us up north here we will help you out, wish we were closer would come and help out, this guess work on the net is a joke and you will run in circles.

Any thing you need get a hold of WranglerIV or even Crabshaver(don't worry bout him), these are good buddies of mine joking around to bug JK mods and feed the peanut gallery.

above all have fun and dont get sucked into the BS.

and yes guys I have been on the earth long enough to know what respect for others is, so you call me out I will respond cause no one needs that tough guy keyboard shit.

odious mustachios
    ************************************************** **************************************************

My Mood
    Twisted
    Believe it or not, there have been a few of us that have also built one ton jeeps. Not really sure why I'm waisting my breath on a rebuttal......so I wont.

Seriously, I'm not sure why you guys think you need anything more than the stock tranny mount back there. For something as little as a 300 with stock low range (I assume), It aint goin anywhere.

Tuffjeep, If you want some advice or want to talk shop, shoot me a pm, I'm in Beamsville.

Stickybongsmoking is offline Yes, this is gawd damn muthafockling CTD NUT.
    Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 42 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 53 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by SHREK View Post
    Seriously, I'm not sure why you guys think you need anything more than a 1" ratchet strap tranny mount back there.
    Fixed!
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

My Mood
    Twisted
    Farging bastige sumofa ice hole.^

Time Online: 1 Wk 6 Days 21 Hrs 54 Mins 28 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 8 Secs
    I'm running a stock tranny mount and a d300 support with a 231/300 doubler. No issues as of yet.

Time Online: 2 Wks 4 Days 3 Hrs 48 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 29 Secs
    hey Chris, I am a newbie too, hope this tug o war doesn't discourage you from asking questions.
    I deal with nuclear engineers every day, so when I say " chalk it up to experts seldom agree ", it is from experience, kinda like if you raise racing stallions you gotta expect to fix the stalls once in while.
    I simply ask that you post your final remedy c/w pics.

ps. SHREK....I'm blind...I can see....I'm blind !!!!, 1 of my fav's