Thread: Jeeps and Babies

Time Online: 4 Wks 1 Day 9 Hrs 30 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 25 Secs

Jeeps and Babies

My friend just had a baby a couple of months ago and i drive her and her kid around a fair bit. I always have the soft doors and the bikini top on (the car seat get is in the front seat and there is no air bags or anything like that). One of my other friends told me that i can be fined for doing this because i have the baby in the jeep without hard doors and a soft top or a hard top with soft doors. I was wondering if anyone else has heard this and where i could find it in writing ( i looked around for it but couldnt find anything).
    Essex County Jeep Club
    -1999 TJ "50 Shades of Jeep"

My Mood
    Devilish
    Time Online: 1 Wk 3 Days 12 Hrs 36 Mins 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 52 Secs
    not because of the doors or soft top, but the baby seat MUST be in the back I do think.
    Birdman
    ditch the bitch! let's go muddin'

i thought it can be in the front if there isnt an air bad and thats why its ok in trucks

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs
    I don't see how a law could exist that says doors and roof must be installed. That law would have to be passed specifically for Wranglers. And how to do say you can't drop a convertibles roof with a child in the car?

I don't believe there's a law that says no child seats in the front, but I'd advise they go in the back anyway. I say I don't believe theres a law because vehicles are manufactured today with sensors in the seats to detect if it's a car seat installed, and will turn off the airbag automatically. 2007-8 Toyota Sienna... I had to calibrate the seats when I was at the dealership. Why build all that into cars if it's illegal to use?
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

the only reason why i have him up front is because i am running the bikini top and its alot less windy and it stays warmer up front with the top and doors on

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Days 3 Hrs 11 Mins 27 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 43 Secs
    Seems odd to ma as...
    My Jeep came with a warning stating that "The top and doors were meant as protection from the elements only"
    Can't see what difference it makes.

Try an anonymous call from a payphone to the MTO.
    Condition grounded, but determined to try.

My Mood
    Blah
    Time Online: 4 Days 5 Hrs 27 Mins 56 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 20 Secs
    I have a Jeep and and a baby who's now 5 months old. I have yet to be arrested.

Make sure that you don't take the top down while a baby is in it...sun, wind, dust, etc...
    - 06 XK V-8...parts on order
    - 08 JK Sahara Unlimted...Lifted w/MTZ's (sold)
    - 94 YJ...Lifted w/BFG's. (sold)

I Need A Beer!

My Mood
    Dead
    Time Online: 2 Wks 12 Hrs 45 Mins 27 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 11 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog-68 View Post

Try an anonymous call from a payphone to the MTO.

DO NOT EVER CALL THE MTO TO ASK QUESTIONS!!!
    if they havent thought of anything, calling them will bring it to their attention and they may investigate it and start issuing fines..

I have a 2.5 year old and he rides in the front of my CJ-7 and in the back of my CJ-8. Both have no airbags. You are required to put babies in the back seat if the vehicle is equipped with air bags. Kids should be in the backseat (if you have one) but think about it... there are lots of vehicles that dont have a back seat. trucks, cars, Jeeps...
    Wounds heal... Chicks dig scars...

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler (Rust Free California Edition)
    2005 TJ Unlimited
    1946 Willys CJ-2a "Pa2niA" Featured in JPFreek (click me)

Time Online: 1 Day 5 Hrs 39 Mins
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Secs
    My only concern is making sure they are rear facing- their necks aren't strong enough to endure the forward force from a collision. Once they are 1 year old and I think 25lbs? you can flip them around and at this point put them in the back.

My Mood
    Dead
    Time Online: 2 Wks 12 Hrs 45 Mins 27 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 11 Secs
    all babies have to be rear facing, till one year old... no matter where in the vehicle they sit.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 6 Days 18 Hrs 37 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 11 Secs
    Copied and pasted from the MTO web site. Good info here.

Infants

Newborn babies and infants require special protection while in a vehicle. In a collision, using properly installed rear-facing car seats can save your child's life.

Infant car seats should face the back of the vehicle, rest at a 45-degree angle and move no more than 2.5 cm (1 in.) where the seatbelt or Universal Anchorage System (UAS) strap is routed through the child car seat. If necessary, use a towel or a foam bar (pool noodle) under the base of the child car seat to adjust the angle. Harness straps should sit at or below a baby's shoulders. You should not be able to fit more than one finger underneath the harness straps at the child's collarbone. The chest clip should be flat against the chest at armpit level.

When the child outgrows the maximum height and weight of his/her infant seat, you may require a convertible rear-facing seat until your child is ready to be facing forward. The law requires using a rear-facing car seat until the baby is at least 9 kilograms (20 lb.)

The law is a minimum requirement. It’s best to keep your child rear-facing until they are at least one year old or until they have reached either the maximum height or weight limits of the rear-facing seat.

Birth to 9 kg (20 lb.)
    Rear-facing seat
    Use away from an active airbag
    CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!
    DINGA DING DANG, MY DANGA LONG LING LONG
    OF4WD#5576
    BOOYAH!!!

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 6 Days 15 Hrs 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 45 Secs
    Yes, babies MUST be rear facing up until a certain weight AND age I believe (I was told it wasn't either-or).

With a baby seat in the front, the primary issue is the airbag. No airbag, no problem. The second issue is the lack of a teather (although, not sure if required by law).

With a child in the front seat, the primary issue is the airbag. If the airbag is a "smart" airbag that reduces the force of deployment then you MIGHT be ok. But it'd still be safer to keep kids in the back with an airbag. The second issue is that the shoulder portion of the belt may cut across their next.
    OF4WD Member # 5887

Quote Originally Posted by craveneh View Post
    You`d be surprised what your capable of when your balls are not in someones purse
    For Sale:
    Tan Rear Seat - 2004 TJ | Rear Seat Belt Assembly - Complete

Coming Soon:
    American Racing 172s | Jeep TJ Mopar Add-a-trunk | Roller fairlead + cable | TJ Liftgate Spare Tire Mount w/ Centre Stop-Light | Rubi D44 Factory Diff Cover

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs
    Oh, definitely rear facing as infants. Here's the government website; http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/saf...t/choose.shtml

Synopsis; Infants in rearward facing, 45 seats until at least 9kg (20lbs). Use until they no longer fit in it. 9kg to 18kg can go forward facing. Both require the use AWAY FROM AIRBAGS, but do not stipulate use in rear seats only.

My Mood
    Devilish
    Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Day 17 Hrs 10 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 17 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by SHREK View Post
    Copied and pasted from the MTO web site. Good info here.

Infants

Newborn babies and infants require special protection while in a vehicle. In a collision, using properly installed rear-facing car seats can save your child's life.

Infant car seats should face the back of the vehicle, rest at a 45-degree angle and move no more than 2.5 cm (1 in.) where the seatbelt or Universal Anchorage System (UAS) strap is routed through the child car seat. If necessary, use a towel or a foam bar (pool noodle) under the base of the child car seat to adjust the angle. Harness straps should sit at or below a baby's shoulders. You should not be able to fit more than one finger underneath the harness straps at the child's collarbone. The chest clip should be flat against the chest at armpit level.

When the child outgrows the maximum height and weight of his/her infant seat, you may require a convertible rear-facing seat until your child is ready to be facing forward. The law requires using a rear-facing car seat until the baby is at least 9 kilograms (20 lb.)

The law is a minimum requirement. It’s best to keep your child rear-facing until they are at least one year old or until they have reached either the maximum height or weight limits of the rear-facing seat.

Birth to 9 kg (20 lb.)
    Rear-facing seat
    Use away from an active airbag
    The law states 20lbs (9kilo)not 1 year old.
    And rear facing, not necessary in back seat.
    Last edited by Spinalguy; 08-28-2010 at 11:09 AM.

thanks for all your input. I didnt thing that there was anything, but i wanted to be sure. If i do get pulled over, i am gonna bring up the sticker on my sun visor stating that the doors and top are just to protect from the elements

Time Online: 1 Day 6 Hrs 13 Mins 24 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Secs
    the baby seat must be in the back if its a rear facing seat . depending on how old the child is . if its justa child in a car seat you may have them in the from seat with the air bags off only if there is no back seat such as a single cab pick up truck..

if you have a back seat you have to ahve the child in the back seat
    if its a rear facing infant baby they have to be in the back seat there is no front seat allowed

as for the half doors there is no law stating it with child seats