Thread: will a 93 zj auto tranny fit a 97 tj

Hybrid View

Time Online: 4 Days 23 Hrs 2 Mins 7 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 24 Secs

will a 93 zj auto tranny fit a 97 tj

Hey all I have a chance to purchase a 97 tj with a pooched tranny I also have a tranny out of a 94 zj auto not sure what it is yet
    does anyone know if any trannys are interchangeable out of these vehicles. Any help or insight would be appreciated
    BONES BOUGHT HEEP...BONES BUILT JEEP....BONES BROKE JEEP.....BONES IS NOW BROKE

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 23 Hrs 45 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 4 Secs
    Please take my advice with a big grain of salt, as it's based on limited experience and a lot of reading...

IIRC, the transmission in the 97 TJ with the 4.0 I6, (which is the same Jeep I just got into) is the TorqueFlite 999, a 3-speed automatic with a locking torque converter, otherwise known as the 32RH, which is a hydraulically-controlled unit.
    Again, IIRC the transmission in a 94 ZJ with the 4.0 I6, is the 42RE, which is a 4-speed automatic with a locking torque converter, but is electronically controlled unit.

If you're looking for a straight-up swap, then no, they aren't really interchangeable. On top of needing to fiddle with electrical stuff, the 42RE is larger than the 32RH, and will require driveshaft modifications, as well as likely needing a SYE because of the lost length due to a longer tranny. If you're looking to upgrade from a 3-speed to a 4-speed, then you could do it, but the 42RE isn't regarded as a very good candidate as there are more durable units out there. The AW4 out of a comparable year XJ is one, as is a 700R4 with adapter hardware.

If you're looking for a straight drop-in transmission, then I believe a 3-speed auto from the later year YJ's with the 4.0 and automatic might be identical (check with an expert, like Jeepman.) Or just snag a tranny from a TJ, the 3-speed was in them from 97 until 2001 (or mid 02?) when the 42RLE was introduced. What the differences are between the 42RLE and the 42RE? I don't know, and once gored a man just for asking. ( )

I hope this info helps you, and if I'm mistaken on any points I hope someone will speak up and let us both know. I'd hate to pass on faulty information, and it's the only way I learn!

If I was a Jeep, they'd have parted me out a LONG time ago.

I'm a proud member of SOXJA ask me why!

Krawlerz team member too!

OF4WD Member # 5027

Time Online: 4 Days 23 Hrs 2 Mins 7 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 24 Secs
    Thanks for all your knowledge jphoenix i have a tf999 out of an 89 i wonder if it will fiti would have to cut into case to add cps pickup but that is easily doable. But i think i will do a little more research before putting up my money.